One Park Vista

Renderings:

OneParkVistaRendering.jpg

What We Know!

• $15 million project

• 33 condominium units

• 9 Stories

• Underground parkings with storage units

• Ground floor restaurant (relocation of Downtown Thai)

• Part of a larger super-block development (Civic Plaza)

• Construction begins June 2006

• Opening early Summer 2008

External Links:

its almost been a year since this project was proposed... which is almost normal for new projects proposed for downtown Winston-Salem. This is another key project to help liven up 4th street. this also is the second residential building proposed for Civic Plaza. I can already imagine the views from the park. :blink:

quote from the article

"Although plans are not final, Avant said that the building should look "timeless." "What I'd like it to do is look old-world, like it belongs downtown," he said. The condo project is part of a strong shift toward residential construction in the 27101 ZIP code..."

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's great that this project is growing and presumably moving forward. Is it going to cover the same footprint as the Davis Store? Isn't there a contemporary furniture store on the ground floor or is that next door? I'm glad to see that the developer is providing underground parking - perhaps that will inspire Niemann Capital to follow suit. Hopefully, the parking will be accessible from 3rd Street and not 4th though.

I do wonder what he means by having the project look "old-world, like it belongs downtown." I don't disagree that the building shouldn't look timeless, but there's more latitude in timeless. And, I imagine old-world connotes some kind of historicist, postmodern building (like the building on the NW corner of Cherry & First) that hardly could rate as a piece of architecture. I sincerely hope the developer's architect is able to impress upon him that the importance and prominence of this site deserves a worthy piece of architecture.

I do wonder what he means by having the project look "old-world, like it belongs downtown." I don't disagree that the building shouldn't look timeless, but there's more latitude in timeless. And, I imagine old-world connotes some kind of historicist, postmodern building

I imagine that in the case of Downtown Winston-Salem, old-world means something like this:

Chicago Athletic Club

Which was inspired by:

The Doge's Palace, Venice

I consider "old world" to be code for "we're not going to build anything like this piece of garbage or this soulless place."

:cry:

I am GREATLY going to miss the Davis building. While I know change is inevitable, I remember shopping in that store all the time. My aunt used to work behind the cosmetic counter. We would go down to see here when mom would go to get her hair done at the Nissen building. We would almost always eat lunch at the Dill Pickle sandwich shop.

The Davis store used to have an old style elevator run by a "bellman?" who would select the floor for you and open the doors (even though the building was only 3 stories).

Sigh....

:cry:

• 2 weeks later...

You know on second thought it's kind of too bad they couldn't put this thing somewhere where there is not already an existing structure and fix up the old Davis bulding for new retail. Could you imagine a Target or something like that in there. Of course I don't know if it's got the floorspace for that. Anyway it's better to see something being done than the building just sitting there.

• 3 weeks later...

One Park Vista takes another step foward. the city approved spending 165,000 in bond money for infrastructure work on the strollway. Pre-sales could begin in a few weeks!

is downtown Winston really ready for $1 million condos?

article

Actually, there may be initially a $1 million condo but this is not New York City where property values dictate those sort of prices. To get $1 million of value out of a condo in downtown Winston will require a whole floor, wrap around balcony, marble floors, gold plated faucets etc.

What does happen when you say you have a $1 million condo for sale, is that you create first promotional interest in the development, and secondly, and in my opinion a more important reason, is that you create a sort of halo effect where you lift up the perception of downtown living as a true alternative lifestyle, that whatever living accomodations you need will be available and that also you can adopt the persona of someone who is ahead of everyone else in knowing what the hot trends are.

This halo effect extends to all the developments downtown so if you as a potential resident are not up to investing in a $500k condo at this development then you may be interested in this other development at Trader's Row on Trade St where the condos go for $125k or so or maybe the West End development but at the very least, you are now thinking of downtown as a viable option to consider when you want to reside. Everyone likes to think that they live in a top-notch neighbourhood and if there are condos near where you live that go for $1 million, then you will feel comfortable about your $250k condo purchase as a good deal and that living downtown was a good choice.

More than likely though, the top value of the condos will be at $500k or so. Considering the price of those mansions on Stratford or Buena Vista, a $1 million will get into one of those so why consider a downtown condo no matter how opulent?

Actually, there may be initially a $1 million condo but this is not New York City where property values dictate those sort of prices. To get $1 million of value out of a condo in downtown Winston will require a whole floor, wraparound balcony, marble floors, gold plated faucets etc.

What does happen when you say you have a $1 million condo for sale, is that you create first promotional interest in the development, and secondly and in my opinion a more important reason is that you create a sort of halo effect where you lift up the perception of downtown living as a true alternative lifestyle, that whatever living accomdations you need will be addressed and that also you can adopt the persona of someone is ahead of everyone else in knowing what is the hot trends are. This halo effect extends to all the developments downtown so if you are not up to investing in a $500k condo at this development then you may be interested in this other development at Trader's Row on Trade St where the condos go for $125k or so.

I was told that all of the condos at Traders Row were presold. Did you know something I don't know?

Actually, there may be initially a $1 million condo but this is not New York City where property values dictate those sort of prices. To get $1 million of value out of a condo in downtown Winston will require a whole floor, wraparound balcony, marble floors, gold plated faucets etc.

What does happen when you say you have a $1 million condo for sale, is that you create first promotional interest in the development, and secondly and in my opinion a more important reason is that you create a sort of halo effect where you lift up the perception of downtown living as a true alternative lifestyle, that whatever living accomdations you need will be addressed and that also you can adopt the persona of someone is ahead of everyone else in knowing what is the hot trends are. This halo effect extends to all the developments downtown so if you are not up to investing in a $500k condo at this development then you may be interested in this other development at Trader's Row on Trade St where the condos go for $125k or so.

Good point. And, hopefully, by attracting residents with the ability to pay $500k - 1 million, downtown will be able to attract more retail, fitness centers, bars/nightlife, etc given the lure of so much disposable income in a higher density environment.

• 1 month later...

Well they have a website for One Park Vista.

I was walking along Fourth St and they have a large banner draped over the Davis building announcing the project. It features the main illustration of the building along with contact information.

With the work on the Presbreytarin Church on Cherry and Trader' Row on Trade St, I don't think that there has been this much construction downtown in a long while

:shok: ...wow. nice height and design. thanx for posting ncbrian.

One thing about the watercolour illustrations is that it is so abstract in a way that never matches how we would see it everyday in all sorts of lighting and weather conditions. From the illustration though, it would appear to closely match the Nissen building in the facade which also matches nicely with the Steven's center.

By this announcement today, I would take it that the city has approved the construction though I have not seen any news to that effect but I doubt the developers would have gone through all of this promotion without essentially getting the A-OK.

One thing about the watercolour illustrations is that it is so abstract in a way that never matches how we would see it everyday in all sorts of lighting and weather conditions. From the illustration though, it would appear to closely match the Nissen building in the facade which also matches nicely with the Steven's center.

By this announcement today, I would take it that the city has approved the construction though I have not seen any news to that effect but I doubt the developers would have gone through all of this promotion without essentially getting the A-OK.

Yes, the city gave the final approval a few months back.

Archived