Jackson, TN

Rural King

Here are some more unique images from downtown Jackson, well mainly the peripheral of downtown, with some tongue in cheek commentary and critiques that all cities need from time to time just to keep things real. Plus some quesionable architecture designs and land usages. I promise the last thread (Part 4) will be more substantial, this is more unique stuff. :D

I didn't know artillery was needed for downtown property owners.......;)

Tennessee0081-vi.jpg

Some retro flair

Tennessee0083-vi.jpg

Fish Market

Tennessee0093-vi.jpg

I have no idea what this big boy was, it in a rougher area, I did not explore too much.

Tennessee0087-vi.jpg

Every downtown needs a drive-thru Popeye's doesn't it?

Tennessee0094-vi.jpg

Local gas station -Dodge's Chicken

Tennessee0084-vi.jpg

I don' t know, it was across the street from that other building I had know clue about, maybe they were associated.

Tennessee0088-vi.jpg

Downtown Jackson has/had a "Barber's College", beat that the "Big 4" :P

Tennessee0096-vi.jpg

Not the best downtown bank design ever.....

Tennessee0145-vi.jpg

Now this is a downtown bank location right.......

Tennessee0151-vi.jpg

Just land waiting for a good use....and that means not a Hardees, tobacco shack, or a drive-through bank. ;)

Tennessee0138-vi.jpg

Well I'll end that one, so I can end strong with Part 4. Until then, Later!!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff, RK. Now, see this old gem screams "rehab !" Isn't somebody willing to step up to the plate and keep this old beauty from a future wrecking ball ?

i kind of doubt it. have you seen the neighborhood that it's in? haha. when me and my dad were driving around out there he was telling me that the area around the popeyes used to be the red light district. now it just looks like the no light district. would be nice if they did clean it up around that new overpass.

i kind of doubt it. have you seen the neighborhood that it's in? haha. when me and my dad were driving around out there he was telling me that the area around the popeyes used to be the red light district. now it just looks like the no light district. would be nice if they did clean it up around that new overpass.

No, I'm afraid I've not had the pleasure of travelling around Downtown Jackson, so I'm not familiar with the neighborhood (I was last in Jackson in October, grabbing a late lunch at the Burger King on the west side of town). However, sometimes it takes some brave and enterprising souls to invest in this old structure and "reclaim" the neighborhood from it's status. I'm sure it can be done with the right person !

mmmmm Thick burgers...

I wonder what used to be there with that floor?

I'm gonna take a guess and say that looks like that might've been some burger stand and the floor out front where you would've had outdoor tables.

No, I'm afraid I've not had the pleasure of travelling around Downtown Jackson, so I'm not familiar with the neighborhood (I was last in Jackson in October, grabbing a late lunch at the Burger King on the west side of town). However, sometimes it takes some brave and enterprising souls to invest in this old structure and "reclaim" the neighborhood from it's status. I'm sure it can be done with the right person !

oh i agree. i hope it does get done, but i don't see it happening for a while.

Nice pics! Thanks!

I love Lady A's Place and the Fish Market. Both places just scream "the South".

I wonder if that club has live music? I'd go if it did. In any case, I bet it's got a great jukebox.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm going to bump this up to the front of the line one more time to relay some interesting information I received in a recent meeting with Jackson City officials.

Of course, Jackson is the largest city between Nashville and Memphis and has no other significant urban rival as the economic center of West Tennessee. Based on that, an official with the City told me that Jackson has a resident population of about 50,000, but has a workday population (including workers at all plants within the City) of 100,000. And being the commercial, shopping and eating draw for such a wide area, the population increases to 250,000 on Friday and Saturday nights. Then, on the big Christmas holidays, the population increases to a half million.

This is a small City with some big City issues (traffic, crime, etc.) that have to be dealt with. Population figures don't always tell the whole story about how 'big' a city really is.

I'm going to bump this up to the front of the line one more time to relay some interesting information I received in a recent meeting with Jackson City officials.

Of course, Jackson is the largest city between Nashville and Memphis and has no other significant urban rival as the economic center of West Tennessee. Based on that, an official with the City told me that Jackson has a resident population of about 50,000, but has a workday population (including workers at all plants within the City) of 100,000. And being the commercial, shopping and eating draw for such a wide area, the population increases to 250,000 on Friday and Saturday nights. Then, on the big Christmas holidays, the population increases to a half million.

This is a small City with some big City issues (traffic, crime, etc.) that have to be dealt with. Population figures don't always tell the whole story about how 'big' a city really is.

Wow! Sounds like Jackson is pretty busy. Come to think of it, everytime I went over there there was some pretty bad traffic on all the main roads.

I wonder how big Memphis gets around Christmas?

Archived