When did Greenville get rickshaws?

gs3

How have I missed this? When did Greenville get rickshaws/pedicabs? I knew we had the horse drawn carriages, but didn't realize we have rickshaws/pedicabs. Cool addition to downtown. :thumbsup: Here's one in West End by the Army/Navy store:

CIMG4686.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How have I missed this? When did Greenville get rickshaws/pedicabs? I knew we had the horse drawn carriages, but didn't realize we have rickshaws/pedicabs. Cool addition to downtown. :thumbsup: Here's one in West End by the Army/Navy store:

CIMG4686.jpg

please tell me that is joke? You faked that picture?

No joke. I'm not that good with photoshop. :D

I've ridden in them in Orlando (Thornton Park area), DC (Georgetown area) and New York (Village area). Nice to see Greenville getting these downtown. With our lively, pedestrian friendly downtown, these are a perfect fit. :thumbsup: A growing trend in many US cities.

Here's a link to BicyTaxi. (Google "rickshaw" or "pedicab" and you'll be shocked how much you find.) There is even a forum, much like UP, just for rickshaws/pedicabs.

http://www.bicytaxi.com/

Actually that isn't a rickshaw.

You're right, they're not rickshaws, they're pedicabs; however a lot of people in the U.S. tend to call them rickshaws. Some companies even market them as rickshaws. Hard to find a true rickshaw in the United States, though, since we're all so lazy and no one really wants to be the one to pull it.

This brings up a question: does anyone know of any cities or areas (like Asian areas) in the U.S. that use real rickshaws? I'd be interested in seeing that.

Rickshaw:

rickshaw.gif

Pedicab:

pedicabDSCN4411.jpg

Rick Shaw:

RickShaw.jpg

I read something a while back about someone wanting to start using these in Greenville. I've seen them used a lot in downtown Charleston when I was living there. I even tried getting a job driving one, but there were no openings at the time. I wouldn't mind riding around there where the streets are flat, but I think it would be a bit more of a challenge riding uphill on Main Street in Greenville with a couple of people on the back.

Good daily training for the Assault on Mount Mitchell. :D

Last time I rode in one was in Orlando and the guy peddling had legs that were each the size of my torso! :D You'd think with all the cycling here, there would be a large market of potential employees for this kind of venture. These guys make some money....high profit margin. The one in Orlando took us about 3 blocks and the price was $20.00 After watching him huff and puff, we went together and gave him a 15 buck tip. 35.00 for three blocks....not bad. :D

Last time I rode in one was in Orlando and the guy peddling had legs that were each the size of my torso! :D You'd think with all the cycling here, there would be a large market of potential employees for this kind of venture. These guys make some money....high profit margin. The one in Orlando took us about 3 blocks and the price was $20.00 After watching him huff and puff, we went together and gave him a 15 buck tip. 35.00 for three blocks....not bad. :D

Funny thing is, I thought of this very idea a few years ago, but never took action. I think it is one of the most brilliant economically efficient and environmentally friendly transportation businesses feasable. :shades:

Funny thing is, I thought of this very idea a few years ago, but never took action. I think it is one of the most brilliant economically efficient and environmentally friendly transportation businesses feasable. :shades:

So Skyliner, that wasn't you peddling in the photograph was it? :D I think this type of business shows downtown Greenville is very ripe for new, out of the box ideas. :thumbsup:

So Skyliner, that wasn't you peddling in the photograph was it? :D I think this type of business shows downtown Greenville is very ripe for new, out of the box ideas. :thumbsup:

I found the guys who are doing this, and here is the scoop. Carolina Triathalon received one from a real estate company, who had no idea what to do with it. Carolina isn't sure if they will charge for rides or just ask tips at this point

I found the guys who are doing this, and here is the scoop. Carolina Triathalon received one from a real estate company, who had no idea what to do with it. Carolina isn't sure if they will charge for rides or just ask tips at this point

Thanks for the info upstategeek! :thumbsup: They should charge, at least a small fee and add a fleet of 5 to 10 of these. No overhead. On the weekends, it would be a cash cow. Almost all dollars would be profit once the pedicabs are paid for. There really can't be much cost for upkeep.

Nope, that wasn't me. :lol:

I noticed the pedicab locked up in front of Carolina Triathlon yesterday evening, on the way to the ballpark. On the way back, I saw it inside the store. I can't imagine not charging at least a small fee to ride in one though. That is baffling.

Nope, that wasn't me. :lol:

I noticed the pedicab locked up in front of Carolina Triathlon yesterday evening, on the way to the ballpark. On the way back, I saw it inside the store. I can't imagine not charging at least a small fee to ride in one though. That is baffling.

It was out last night. Actually with people riding up around the ballpark.

• 3 weeks later...

Carolina Triathalon needs to get their couple of pedi-cabs in gear. This could be a very viable venture with Greenville's pedestrian scale downtown. Here is a couple I spied in another city. There must have been 50 or 60 at least. Everywhere, and doing a brisk business.

CIMG5007.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived