Petroleum Tower to go GREEN!

Downtown Shreveport's 17-story Petroleum Tower, now the National Center for Community Renewal (NCCR) headquarters, is being completely overhauled. The entire facade will look different, but that is only the tip of the iceberg as far as the overhaul goes. This building is going to be used not only as the headquarters of NCCR, but also as living space. There will be "sky parks," which green spaces every few floors up on the front and back, dining halls, daycare, etc.

This building, when completed, will be completely self-sufficient, creating all the power it will need to operate on its own. The facade of the building will be made up of solar panels, which will help power the building. The building will also have the ability to clean its own wastewater.

Read more about the project here...

I wish the online article included the renderings that were included in the print version of the newspaper, because the building will look completely different than it does now. I took some photos of this building a couple of weeks ago when I was downtown, so I will try to post them soon.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here is my post with pictures of what Petroleum Tower looks like right now. If I can get my hands on the renderings, I will come back and post them as well.

In this photo, Petroleum Tower is on the left with the construction fence around it:

137850166.jpg

More Petroleum Tower photos:

137849807.jpg

137849414.jpg

137849411.jpg

From the renderings in the paper yesterday, I'd say the future of this building looks very bright and green.

Nice pics ! Good story too ! Why don't more high-rise bldgs. become self sufficient , and create their own power ?

Beats me! But you'd think more buildings would be done this way. I believe the article said Little Rock has 4 or 5 buildings that are done this way, putting Little Rock ahead of most cities as far as that goes. It makes much more sense, as the buildings cost less to operate in the longrun. And as far as up-front expense goes, according to this article it's no more expensive to build a "green" building than for conventional construction.

Oh yeah... nice name change SBCmetroguy .

Thanks, man! I thought this one fit me better. :D

• 1 month later...

^Wow, that looks fantastic! Much better than the current tower! :D

Thanks for the rendering, fridayinla! And welcome to UrbanPlanet! Are you from the Shreveport/Bossier area?

Interesting. Just out of curiousity does anyone have any pictures of the current building that includes most of the building?

Here is the Emporis page on the building, which includes a picture. http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=124949

Thanks for the rendering, fridayinla! And welcome to UrbanPlanet! Are you from the Shreveport/Bossier area?

Here is the Emporis page on the building, which includes a picture. http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=124949

Thanks Nate. I'm guessing Brian has left already so he won't be able to take any pics for me.

Here's a rendering of the Petroleum Tower after the renovation:

rn48pic1.jpg

I found this on the National Center for Community Renewal's website. It looks like an entirely different building... which considering, is a good thing!

Wow! What a difference! Its amazing what they can do to old buildings to make them look new again. The rendering looks awesome! Im not a fan of cylindrical buildings myself, but the way they work that into the design makes it blend very well! Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

Im not a fan of cylindrical buildings myself, but the way they work that into the design makes it blend very well! Very nice indeed :thumbsup:

Yea, I'm not really a big fan of cylindrical buildings either, but this one is an exception. I really like the design! :D

You're welcome. I'm originally from Shreveport. I've been in Los Angeles for the last 7 yrs.... heading to Chicago though.

You're welcome. I'm originally from Shreveport. I've been in Los Angeles for the last 7 yrs.... heading to Chicago though.

We're happy to have you here! It's to have a new face familiar with the SBC area on the forum. Brian(SBCmetroguy) is from SBC, and though he's off of the forum until Sunday, I'm sure he'll have plenty to discuss with you! :thumbsup:

fridayinla - good to see you here and I hope you'll stick around. I love this website for two main reasons: (1) the awesome people and (2) the information. There are tons of reasons, but those two are foremost in my mind.

Nate - I'm baaaack! And I'm sunburned like hell!!

richy - That wasn't me who posted the new renderings, it was fridayinla! Just giving them the credit for posting that as I can't take it.

Rod - Yep, sorry, I was already gone by the time you posted that. Otherwise, I'd have stopped downtown on my way home from work on Friday and taken some more pictures for you. I posted some in my firts post to this topic, but I think I was mainly focused on the face of the building and the construction fencing at ground level rather than the entire building.

Anyway, yes I'm back and hopefully will catch up and get back in the conversations soon. It's amazing how much I missed in less than 4 days.

Nate - I'm baaaack! And I'm sunburned like hell!!

Anyway, yes I'm back and hopefully will catch up and get back in the conversations soon. It's amazing how much I missed in less than 4 days.

Ahh yes...good ole' UV rays! :P

And yea, quite a few things have been discussed while you were gone, like the entire New Orleans mayoral runoff last night. :thumbsup:

Ahh yes...good ole' UV rays! :P

And yea, quite a few things have been discussed while you were gone, like the entire New Orleans mayoral runoff last night. :thumbsup:

Ahem... uh yeah... I saw that mentioned on TV, basically on every channel. Imagine my suprise when I thought Landrieu had it in the bag.

• 4 months later...

Update on the Petroleum Tower renovations:

Petroleum Tower renovations enter Phase 2 of $60M project

Phase I which included the asbestos removal is complete. Phase 2 of the project will involve creating a design that will produce a platinum-certified LEED building. Exciting stuff! I hope this high-dollar renovation will encourage additional redevelopment in this area of downtown.

Phase I which included the asbestos removal is complete. Phase 2 of the project will involve creating a design that will produce a platinum-certified LEED building. Exciting stuff! I hope this high-dollar renovation will encourage additional redevelopment in this area of downtown.

Shreveporter this bldg brings back a lot of memories. Man the new renovation are awesome

• 2 months later...

Archived