Most Improved Neighborhoods

JWCJ

On the Richmond City website they have a program for fixing up Richmonds neighborhoods. And to see if they're doing a good job, this poll is to see where they're doing the best. :yahoo: This project the city is doing is helping the city 100% :yahoo:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That hotel is going to be condos instead...and I wish they'd start something on the Hippodrome. They've been "getting ready to work on it" for years.

Jackson Commons looks like a great development there too.

Hippodrome! Hippodrome! The perception of that tacky building as a historic building that MUST be preserved is laughable. As I've said a dozen times, the original interior of the old Hippodrome burned down in the 1940s and was replaced by the present cinder block box. It doesn't even have a stage. The nicest thing about it is the facade.

The old East End Theater on N. 25th street, now being converted to a private residence, was a better and larger theater building than the post 1940s Hipp.

Why don't they recreate the original? Now, that would be something! :)

I think it will come to JWard. But also I think Monroe Hieghts is improving too. Also South Highland Park is getting more diverse (black, white, and arab) and less violence is in that community now. It's looking like a more urban lakeside now.

• 1 month later...

I think it will come to JWard. But also I think Monroe Hieghts is improving too. Also South Highland Park is getting more diverse (black, white, and arab) and less violence is in that community now. It's looking like a more urban lakeside now.

Not sure if this belongs here or in Richmond Development but it looks like construction has begun for a building at the corner of Leigh St. and Chamberlayne Parkway. Backhoes were breaking ground and I saw foundations/footers staked out. Any ideas as to what this is?

Not sure if this belongs here or in Richmond Development but it looks like construction has begun for a building at the corner of Leigh St. and Chamberlayne Parkway. Backhoes were breaking ground and I saw foundations/footers staked out. Any ideas as to what this is?

Isn't it the on again off again now on again Jackson Commons?

If only I could afford it... my aunt and mother don't seem to like me being that close to Gilpin... but eh... I can't afford it anyway.

Cam, can't imagine why they would worry about you moving to Jackson Commons. They should fret when you trek all over danger areas taking pictures. I worry about you roaming those streets with your camera. Please be careful! :thumbsup:

And go ahead! Float a loan and buy one of those elegant townhouses! Then you can become an official recorder, photographer and historian resident of Jackson Ward. Ron Stallings would probably put you on his payroll. :) Don't undervalue your potential to historians and developers alike.

• 2 months later...

Now after Shockoe Bottom was doing great even after the scare of flood from the left-overs of TS Alberto and it didn't flood. It's flooded and I was going to give the most improved award. But now that would have to go to Manchester for the resent growth in population, building projects, and businesses coming to that area and it looks as if nothing's stopping Manchester now from becoming better then the Fan (no offense) to Fan dwellers. Next in comes Jackson Ward for become one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Richmond, It's rising from what I call "Richmond's Great Depression", and the fast growing business and population coming to the area.

I hope Shockoe Bottom can make the least to number 1 next time on the 15th of October.

What other neighborhoods do you think should be in the

number

and 5. Slots?

• 1 month later...

LET'S FOCUS ON THE SOUTHSIDE IMPROVEMENTS.

- The city police are hatching up a new plan to stop prostatution along Jeff davis and Chamberlyne.

- Manchester is really coming back to life. it's even now a place for expiring artist to move to and live. And the new houses look great!

- Police are also creaking down on crime on the southside.

What do you think about any of these issues and if you have more great or even bad news about what's happening to the southside let it out.

Because I think the 3 I picked are great for the southside and the whole city.

*Puts down the hatchet* (You know what I'm talking about).

Nice pics... much better than mine. I need to do the entire neighborhood Leigh and southward again. I was caught by 2005's spring and the trees sprouted on me and hid some places. I followed Ryan's lead and took every building facing a street, but at the time too my camera was developing the cataract. A new camera to replace the 2 year old one maybe be in the future!

A great tour of an incredibly improved Jackson Ward. Thanks Brent.

Have there been any "move-ins" at Emrick Flats? I notice that the scaffolding is gone.

Eagleston Hotel could do with a little TLC.

Has expansion begun at Croaker's Spot? They had plans to have an annex and garden patio to the side in the rear.

Are most of the houses with numbers in the 500 series on side streets?

Your house looks terrific and the English basement is very attractive. Nice car in front, too. Is it yours?

The area around Abner Park looks really neat. I especially like the shot with the CNB tower in the background. In the shot showing the castle-like armory, I believe the building on the right is the old Armstrong High School. Armstrong and Maggie Walker (now The Governor's School) were big football rivals.

So many interesting renovations. I'll bet the population in the area bounded by Belvidere, 3rd, Leigh and Franklin (8 blocks running east/west and 5 blocks running north/south) easily tops 3000. I'm amazed at the transformations taking place in Jackson and Monroe Wards.

Archived