Furniture Market

jervais

:shok:

I must say that I was impressed with Downtown HP today b/c I've never drove around there before. Because of Furniture market it was very busy and had a very urban feel. I think HP should really invest alot in there Downtown to put mixed use developments down there to maintain that level of activity year round and I hope that THe Triad really fight to Keep the Furniture market. I must say again that going Downtown High Point today really caught me off guard with the Architecture and crowds ( There is so much potential down there). I wish I had a camera today to take pictures of the scenery. I guess I didn't expect Downtown High Point to actually have a little density.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must say that I was impressed with Downtown HP today b/c I've never drove around there before. Because of Furniture market it was very busy and had a very urban feel. I think HP should really invest alot in there Downtown to put mixed use developments down there to maintain that level of activity year round and I hope that THe Triad really fight to Keep the Furniture market. I must say again that going Downtown High Point today really caught me off guard with the Architecture and crowds ( There is so much potential down there). I wish I had a camera today to take pictures of the scenery. I guess I didn't expect Downtown High Point to actually have a little density.

Come back to Downtown High Point when the market ISN'T there, and you'll see it for what it is the rest of the year- a mostly quiet place whistling past the graveyard, pretending Vegas isn't about to eat their lunch on their one significant economic asset.

See here for details:

Strategic Window Closing for High Point Market

My former boss knows someone who is well involved in the furniture industry, and we talked about High Point last year. His furniture friend says it comes down to this: "You can't imagine what Vegas is doing FOR us, and what High Point is doing TO us."

High Point is in serious trouble, and the city fathers avoid this reality at their peril.

I agree, I think High Point has to focus on year round activity focused on the furniture market to keep the market strong above Las Vegas. High Point can do some things to bring more entertainment downtown but High Point will never be a Las Vegas. The focus needs to be on year round home furnishings activity more so than downtown entertainment. If market goers want entertainment, they can find plenty across the Triad in Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

• 1 year later...

I figured i'd bump this thread up some as today's edition of the journal had a really interesting article about the High Point market in relation to its perceived competitor the Las Vegas market. The article may serve to serve to calm Triad resident's nerves about the furniture market making any kind of dramatic move to Las Vegas and they note that business since the new Vegas market has been fairly consistent. Either way its a pretty informative piece about the long term viability of the Furniture Market:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...d=1173352938652

the density in High Point is amazing. Even though High Point doesnt have alot of tall buildings, one would even argue that High Point has a denser downtown than Greensboro. Ive heard High Point seems like a big city when the furniture market is in town. I do think High Point has missed opportunities to really turn its downtown into an active 365 days a year downtown. High Point gets world-wide attention so there are definatly opportunities for High Point. The city isnt being aggressive enough about its future.

Archived