South End/South Main Developments

bluff2085

This thread gives the latest info on all of the developments (along with available photos/renderings) going on in booming South End area, including the popular South Main Arts District. A few of the major projects in this area, along with an updated list of projects going on in the rest of DT, can be viewed by going to Downtown Projects List. The following thread will be specifically dedicated to listing the projects going on in the southern portion of downtown. So here it goes:

Project: Horizon Towers

Address: 717 Riverside Drive

New Building/Renovation: New

Description: Two 16-story condo towers, 5-story parking garage, 4-story townhomes building (350 units total)

Cost/Status: $90,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

adthorizon.jpg

Project: State Place

Address: Tennessee and Florida Streets between Georgia and Carolina

Description: Construction of 96 condominiums ranging from 800sf - 1200sf and 108 townhomes ranging from 1150sf - 1850sf

Cost/Status: $49,000,000 (nearing completion)

Photo/Rendering:

SEstateplaceREN1.jpg

SEstateplaceREN2.jpg

SEstateplaceREAL.jpg

Project: Mirabella

Address: 301 S Front St

New Building/Renovation: Renovation

Description: Renovation of an existing building into 60 condominium units that range in size from 1,800 sf - 3,000 sf with prices starting at $600,000

Cost/Status: $40,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEmirabellaREN1.jpg

Project: The Lofts at South Bluffs

Address: 505 Tennessee St

Description: Conversion of 124 existing apartments into 115 condominiums; includes other renovations such as enhancements to the fitness center and interior improvements

Cost/Status: $23,000,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering: N/A

Project: Riverside 648

Address: 648 Riverside Dr

Description: Renovated building will house 66 condos ranging in size from 1,200 to 2,300sf; prices will range from $166,500 to $430,000

Cost/Status: $16,000,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SEriverside648REN1.jpg

Project: The 444

Address: SE corner of Nettleton and Tennessee streets

Description: Construction of 9-story building for mixed residential/commercial use; will include 42 condo units, 74 parking spaces, and 1000sf ground floor commercial space

Cost/Status: $12,200,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEthe444REN1.jpg

Project: Founders Pointe

Address: Along the Mississippi River

Description: Planned residential development with 52 single-family homes overlooking the Mississippi River

Cost/Status: $12,000,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SEfounderpointeREAL1.jpg

Project: Butler Square/River Bluff Houses

Address: Tennessee St, north of the Tennessee Brewery

Description: Construction of 16 new single-family homes on Tennessee Street

Project: Carolina Lofts at South End

Address: Carolina and Kansas Streets

Description: Construction of 12 townhomes ranging from 1500 to 1570sf and 60 condominiums ranging from 630 to 1617sf, priced from $100,000 to $225,000

Photo/Rendering:

SEcarolinaloftsREN1.jpg

SEcarolinaloftsREAL1.jpg

Project: The Nettleton

Address: 435 S Front St

Description: Development of 34 condos ranging in size from 1,350sf - 2,633sf and priced from $250,000 to $650,000

Cost/Status: $12,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEnettletonREN2.jpg

Project: City House

Address: 6 GE Patterson W

Description: Construction of a 36-unit Manhattan loft-style condominiums. Project will total 90,000sf, including 5,000sf of ground floor commercial space

Photo/Rendering:

SEcityhouseREN1.jpg

Project: River Tower at South Bluffs

Address: 655 Riverside Dr

Description: Renovation to convert The Rivermark Apartments into 153 condos ranging in size from 865sf to 2464sf; will include demolition of the north tower

Photo/Rendering:

SErivertowerREN1.jpg

Project: Former Marine Hospital

Address: 360 Metal Museum Dr

Description: Convert cluster of buildings into 30 condos and 12 apartments

Cost/Status: $10,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEmarinehospitalREAL1.jpg

Project: City Commons

Address: corner of Tennessee and Georgia streets

Description: Development of seven units that will each house six separate one-, two-, or three-level condominiums and/or townhomes, ranging in price from $119,000 to $339,000; will also have garage parking and outdoor living spaces.

Cost/Status: $9,672,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SEcitycommonsREN1.jpg

SEcitycommonsREAL.jpg

Project: Front Bluff

Address: SE intersection of Vance and Front

Description: Renovation of an existing building into 10 townhomes and 24 condominums; will include basement-level parking

Cost/Status: $8,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEfrontbluffREAL1.jpg

Project: The Ivy at South End

Address: 629 S Front

Description: Construction of 17 single-family homes

Cost/Status: $6,800,000 (planning)

Project: Forefront Condos

Address: 324 S Front

Description: Renovation of an existing building and new construction for a total of 26 residential units - 12 2-story condominiums and 14 townhomes, ranging in size from 1,150sf to 2,750sf

Cost/Status: $6,500,000 (planning)

Project: The Lawrence Building

Address: 60-62 S Main St

Description: Renovation of historic 66,000sf, five-story building will include 31 (900 - 1200sf) apartments, eight live/work spaces, a new roof deck and basement parking

Cost/Status: $6,250,000 (u/c)

Project: 456 Tennessee St

Address: 456 Tennessee St

Description: Construction of seven-story steel and glass building for mixed residential/commercial use; will include 26 condominiums and approximately 6000sf of office and commercial space

Cost/Status: $6,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SE456tennesseestREN1.jpg

Project: The Rooftops at South End

Address: Georgia Street

Description: Construction of 12 townhomes - three buildings with four units each

Cost/Status: $5,000,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SErooftopssouthendREN1.jpg

SErooftopssouthendREAL1.jpg

Project: 2 West

Address: 2 W GE Patterson

Description: Renovation of an existing building into 9 live/work spaces and 11 townhomes

Cost/Status: $4,600,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SE2wgepattersonREAL1.jpg

Project: RiverCrest

Address: Front & Pontotoc

Description: Construction of 11 condominums; will include 22 parking spaces

Cost/Status: $4,400,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SErivercrestREN1.jpg

Project: Streets Ministries

Address: 430 Vance Avenue

Description: Construction of a new 35,000 sf facility for this non-profit, youth outreach organization. Project will include a plaza and a landscaped parking lot.

Cost/Status: $4,200,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SEstreetministriesREN1.jpg

Project: 85-95 S Main St

Address: 85-95 S Main St

Description: Renovation of historic building and new construction, approximately 24,000sf with 7,200sf first floor commercial, 4,200sf basement, and 15,000sf of residential on upper floors for 15 live/work spaces and 2 penthouses

Cost/Status: $4,000,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SE85-95SmainstREAL1.jpg

SE85-95SmainstREAL2.jpg

...to be continued in another post...

Edited by bluff2085

Project: 85-95 S Main St

Address: 85-95 S Main St

Description: Renovation of historic building and new construction, approximately 24,000sf with 7,200sf first floor commercial, 4,200sf basement, and 15,000sf of residential on upper floors for 15 live/work spaces and 2 penthouses

Cost/Status: $4,000,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SE85-95SmainstREAL1.jpg

SE85-95SmainstREAL2.jpg

Now that's a real shame that that (the Perez) old Victorian business structure (has) had to come down. Those are absolutely irreplaceable. :cry:

Project: The 415

Address: 415 S Huling

Description: Construction of 20 one- and two-bedroom luxury condominiums ranging from 1,000 to 1,550sf with a price range of $160,000 to $250,000. Project will also include 2,000sf of commercial space.

Cost/Status: $4,000,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SE415sHulingREAL.jpg

Project: Microtel Inn and Suites

Address: 362 S Second St

Description: Construction of a 4-story, 86-room Microtel Inn & Suites

Cost/Status: $3,930,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEmicrotelREN1.jpg

Project: 420 S Front St

Address: 420 S Front St

Description: Renovation of existing 5-story building into 36 condominiums ranging in size from 924sf - 1951sf; will include approximately 5927sf of ground floor and basement commercial space

Cost/Status: $3,900,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SE420sfrontREAL1.jpg

Project: 89 South Front

Address: 89 South Front

Description: Renovation of existing 20,240-sf building into 4 apartments

Cost/Status: $3,500,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SE89sfrontREAL1.jpg

Project: The Gardens of South Main

Address: 400 S Main St

Description: Construction of seven luxury condominiums ranging in size from 2500sf - 6500sf, with prices starting from $500,000

Cost/Status: $3,500,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SEgardensofsouthmainREAL1.jpg

Project: Machine Shop Condos

Address: 465 S Main St

Description: Renovation of a 3-story, 42,000sf building into 14 condos ranging in size from 1,300 to 1,800sf

Cost/Status: $3,000,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SEmachineshopcondosREN1.jpg

Project: Cornerstone Flats

Address: 113 S Main St

Description: Renovation of historic building on New Main with 15 loft apartments on floors 2-4; 5,000sf of commercial space on the ground floor; and 10 parking spaces in the basement

Cost/Status: $2,500,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SEcornerstoneflatsREAL1.jpg

Project: Residences at South Main

Address: Mulberry & Talbot

Description: Renovation and conversion of existing gated residential development into condominiums priced from the $140s; includes 3 freestanding cottages and gated parking

Cost/Status: $2,250,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SEresidencesatsouthmainREAL1.jpg

Project: Memphis Studios

Address: 508 S Main St

Description: Renovation of a three-story building into a recording studio and lounge

Cost/Status: $2,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEmemphisstudiosREAL1.jpg

Project: South Main single family homes

Address: South Main between Georgia & Carolina

Description: Construction of 20 single-family homes within a gated community; homes will range from 2,600sf - 3,000sf

Cost/Status: $1,600,000 (planning)

Project: 92-96 S Main St

Address: 92-96 S Main St

Description: Renovation of a three-story historic building into 18 condominiums; will include 2167sf ground floor retail space

Cost/Status: $1,500,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SE92-96smainstREAL1.jpg

Project: GE 5

Address: 125 GE Patterson

Description: Construction of five 2600sf luxury townhomes priced at approximately $350,000 to $400,000

Cost/Status: $1,300,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SEge5REN1.jpg

SEge5REAL1.jpg

Project: The Blue Monkey

Address: 529 S Front St

Description: Construction of a new, two-story building for the downtown location of The Blue Monkey restaurant; will include a rooftop entertainment area

Cost/Status: $1,150,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEbluemonkeyREN1.jpg

Project: Talbot Square Apartments

Address: 99 Vance/Talbot Ave

Description: Construction of two buildings. The Vance building contains four two-bedroom condos with 4,800sf and the Talbot building consists of 16 one-bedroom units with 12,500sf.

Cost/Status: $1,116,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SEtalbotsquareREAL1.jpg

Project: The Condos at 310 South Main

Address: 310 S Main St

Description: Renovation of an existing building into six condominiums that range in size from 1,200 - 1,600 sf with prices starting at $250,000; will include basement-level parking

Cost/Status: $1,000,000 (u/c)

Project: Mexican Mango

Address: 59 S Main St

Description: Renovation a three-story, 14,000sf building into an upscale Mexican restaurant; will include a rooftop dining area and patio

Cost/Status: $927,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SEmexicanmangoREAL1.jpg

Project: Vance Station

Address: Corners of Vance/Main and Vance/Mulberry

Description: Construction of 6 townhomes - 2 on Main Street and 4 on Mulberry

Cost/Status: $900,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SEvancestationREAL1.jpg

Project: 493 S Main

Address: 493 S Main

Description: Renovation of existing building into two 3000sf luxury condos

Cost/Status: $700,000 (u/c)

Photo/Description:

SE493smainREAL1.jpg

Project: 83 S Main St

Address: 83 S Main St

Description: Construction of a four-story building for retail and residential use consisting of three condominiumns and 2500sf of retail space

Cost/Status: $550,000 (u/c)

Photo/Rendering:

SE83smainREAL1.jpg

Project: Featherstone Real Estate Centre

Address: 95 S Main St

Description: Renovation of a ground floor office condo unit for use as a real estate office

Cost/Status: $389,000 (planning)

Project: 496 S Main St

Address: 496 S Main St

Description: Renovation of a two-story building for mixed use: three residential units ranging from 760 to 1,100sf and 1,000sf ground floor retail space

Cost/Status: $291,000 (complete)

Photo/Rendering:

SE496smainstREAL1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Thanks bluff for putting such an awesome list together with pics and everything! Really nice. We all really appreciate the work you put into this. :thumbsup:

I love being able to visually see all these projects via the renderings you posted. Really helps flesh out the what the projects are going to look like.

I am going to pin/sticky it for you.

i wonder what the price range will be for these?

Condos start at $600,000 and go up to $1.5 million.

About the building: I guess the "renovation" includes the addition of multiple floors to an old building, but I'm assuming this since all the buildings on S Front are in the 1-3 story range. Is there a hidden 8-story building on s front that I don't know about?

Scroll up it looks to me like the Founder's Pointe project as well as the Horizon Towers will be on the same plot of land, is this true, or where is the horizon going to be along the river?

I think Founder's Pointe will be closer to the river, with the Horizon towers going right behind it.

Whats the most expensive house in Memphis? I heard it was Jerry Wests house but I can't remember how much it cost. I wanna say 1.4 million but that seems a little low.

I believe the most expensive went when one of the Jernigans bought a house and adjoining property on Shady Grove in the 5 million range...I could be wrong about the exact number, tho.

Even though the CCC claims Mirabella will be a "renovation" on s front, the Mirabella people confirmed the building will be new "from the ground up!"

Right, there's certainly no building in that area of Front St. which resembles the rendering of Mirabella.

Whats the most expensive house in Memphis? I heard it was Jerry Wests house but I can't remember how much it cost. I wanna say 1.4 million but that seems a little low.

Pau Gasol's house is supposed to be huge, and I think it overlooks Winchester. If it's the house I think it is, it's massive, and much more than 2 mill. Also, I would think that Fred Smith's house is pretty expensive as well.

Pau Gasol actually lives on Hacks Cross Road just west of Poplar Pike in Germantown.

It's a Spanish style villa house, that's huge.

So is there someone famous living in the huge house on the north side of Winchester east of Hacks X, west of Forest Hill Irene (near a big church)? Cuz that sh!t's pretty massive.

Pau Gasol's house is supposed to be huge, and I think it overlooks Winchester. If it's the house I think it is, it's massive, and much more than 2 mill. Also, I would think that Fred Smith's house is pretty expensive as well.

When Jerry West bought his house in Southwind, it was the most expensive house purchase ever in Memphis...$4+ million. But, Mike Miller built a custom house which is now on the market for $4.8 million. It was featured on the tv show Mid-South Living a couple of weeks ago.

• 5 weeks later...

Condos start at $600,000 and go up to $1.5 million.

About the building: I guess the "renovation" includes the addition of multiple floors to an old building, but I'm assuming this since all the buildings on S Front are in the 1-3 story range. Is there a hidden 8-story building on s front that I don't know about?

It is a complete demo with new 8 story construction.

• 2 months later...

Here are a couple of additions to the list:

Project: Supply House Condos

Address: 61 W Georgia Ave

Description: Renovation of the Hoover building into 42 condominiums; includes new, 9-story expansion

Cost/Status: $26,000,000 (planning)

Photo/Rendering:

SupplyHouseCondos.jpg

Project: Tennessee Brewery

Address: 495 Tennessee St

Description: Renovation to the historic brewery into mixed-use development; to include condos, parking garage, and ground-level restaurant/retail space.

Note: from 9/6/06 edition of The Commercial Appeal: "The developers will seek a zoning exemption to build up to 154 feet, or 14 stories, on the one-acre site. At its highest point the existing structure is 108 feet. An application to the Land Use Control Board requests permission for the project to exceed the nine-story height limitation in the area. The LUCB could hear the matter in October."

Photo of original structure:

TennesseeBrewery.jpg

• 10 months later...

Per today's MBJ, a TrackCouture is opening in Pembroke Square on South Main

"We really love the Downtown vibe," said Lisa Heros, president of TrackCouture, in a statement. "We wanted to have a store front on Main Street because there is huge tourist traffic along there that we wanted to capitalize on."

TrackCouture is taking space next to a new restaurant, Circa by John Bragg. It's also near the Belz Museum of Asian and Judaic Art, the Center for Southern Folklore and the new Downtown post office, which is located at the ground floor of Peabody Place Tower.

I think it's owned by local entrepreneurs; sounds familiar. Perhaps they were in EmergeMemphis, but I'm sure they have been featured in the business journal. Not a fan of Nascar, but a big fan of locally-owned businesses. Hopefully they strike gold downtown and expand into other cities!