MATATRAC

Bears

This is according to the light rail yahoo group. There was a meeting yesterday for MATATRAC. Did anyone attend it? I emailed Tom Fox at MATA for confirmation and an answer to what was the reason for this. The alternative does have suboptions though...

http://www.matatransit.com/pdf/downtown_ai...lternatives.pdf

Theres one option that uses Bellevue instead of Pauline to Lamar but I have no idea about the other suboption that turns to Lamar further west. Alternative 2 is proposed to have 8 stations and 5 park and ride. There will be stations located roughly 1/2 mile to 1 mile apart at key points along the route to serve neighborhoods and business areas.

It pretty much wastes part of the Madison line but maybe MATA has a connection to the proposed Binghampton or Cordova line in mind. The Fairgrounds-Collierville line might get some ridership and help the fairgrounds.

Also the group said that the latest appraisal for the Cordova line is $15 million. Lets hope CSX finds this price acceptable.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A stupid route in my opinion.

Would have been much better on Madison-Cooper-Central-Parkway.

The eastern route to Collierville was supposed to connect on that route.

Well, at least the proposed route might bring some life to the Lamar area, though I doubt it.

Got a response from Tom Fox. Here's what he said about why they chose 2...

"Regarding the Downtown-Airport Corridor: The minutes from the May 11 Regional Rail Steering Committee meeting are still being prepared. At the meeting the consultant presented a comparison of environmental impacts between Alternative 1 and Alternative 1A/Fairgrounds, and Alternative 2. Basically, the impacts are much greater with Alternative 1 in the categories of: (1) neighborhood impacts, (2) visual quality and aesthetics, (3) noise and vibration, (4) historic and archaeological resources, and (5) 4(f) resources. There are no categories of impacts that are greater with Alternative 2. We have previously concluded that ridership and cost are about the same for the two alternatives. So, environmental impacts tend to be the main item that differentiates the alternatives. This information together with the large volume of negative comments from businesses and residents along the alignment of Alternative 1, and positive comments about redevelopment potential along the alignment of Alternative 2, led the committee to vote to recommend to the MATA Board that Alternative 1 and Alternative 1A/Fairgrounds, be eliminated from further consideration."

Does light rail help redevelopment or will people be too reluctant to take the rail thru the "hoods"?

Here's what he had to say about the Binghampton Light Rail Plans...

"Regarding the Binghampton/Broad Avenue Corridor: MATA participated in a meeting with OPD staff and their consultants when the subject of fixed guideway transit/light rail was discussed. MATA clearly indicated that there were no immediate plans for that area, but that if the interest was there, we would work with them to explore the matter further. The quotes you cite below are strictly the consultant

Got a response from Tom Fox. Here's what he said about why they chose 2...

"Regarding the Downtown-Airport Corridor: The minutes from the May 11 Regional Rail Steering Committee meeting are still being prepared. At the meeting the consultant presented a comparison of environmental impacts between Alternative 1 and Alternative 1A/Fairgrounds, and Alternative 2. Basically, the impacts are much greater with Alternative 1 in the categories of: (1) neighborhood impacts, (2) visual quality and aesthetics, (3) noise and vibration, (4) historic and archaeological resources, and (5) 4(f) resources. There are no categories of impacts that are greater with Alternative 2. We have previously concluded that ridership and cost are about the same for the two alternatives. So, environmental impacts tend to be the main item that differentiates the alternatives. This information together with the large volume of negative comments from businesses and residents along the alignment of Alternative 1, and positive comments about redevelopment potential along the alignment of Alternative 2, led the committee to vote to recommend to the MATA Board that Alternative 1 and Alternative 1A/Fairgrounds, be eliminated from further consideration."

Does light rail help redevelopment or will people be too reluctant to take the rail thru the "hoods"?

Here's what he had to say about the Binghampton Light Rail Plans...

"Regarding the Binghampton/Broad Avenue Corridor: MATA participated in a meeting with OPD staff and their consultants when the subject of fixed guideway transit/light rail was discussed. MATA clearly indicated that there were no immediate plans for that area, but that if the interest was there, we would work with them to explore the matter further. The quotes you cite below are strictly the consultant

Answer to whether light rail helps redevelopment: as far as the Madison trolley line goes, no, it doesn't help anything. Look at what was there three years ago and look at what is there now. Nothing is different. Maybe a higher speed rail will help, but I have no high hopes for the choice that the MATA chose.

The line to the airport won't be using the slow trolleys but actual light rail cars. I also think it'll be a good idea for them to also get the ROW at all red lights. These things can go about 55 mph. Don't think the Airport line will be able to go this fast but the Cordova line thru Shelby Farms certainly will.

The line to the airport won't be using the slow trolleys but actual light rail cars. I also think it'll be a good idea for them to also get the ROW at all red lights. These things can go about 55 mph. Don't think the Airport line will be able to go this fast but the Cordova line thru Shelby Farms certainly will.

This brings up my main concern...if these things run on the streets and have to stop for traffic, what is this thing other than an electrically-powered bus???

This brings up my main concern...if these things run on the streets and have to stop for traffic, what is this thing other than an electrically-powered bus???

I wish they would be elevated or simply put below street level (maybe a trench so it's not really a subway...) because it's going to be absurd if they have to stop at red lights...seems like a waste.

I wish they would be elevated or simply put below street level (maybe a trench so it's not really a subway...) because it's going to be absurd if they have to stop at red lights...seems like a waste.

Yeah, it's too bad we seem to be doing this halfway. Build a REAL rapid transit system that is focused on moving people where they want to go. Make it possible to live in this city and move from one major district to another rapidly - without owning a car.

Here's more info from Tom Fox: Answers are in CAPS

Will the airport line have the right of way at all red lights and intersections? Not having to stop for traffic will no doubt shorten travel time and might encourage ridership.

MATA

Here's more info from Tom Fox: Answers are in CAPS

Will the airport line have the right of way at all red lights and intersections? Not having to stop for traffic will no doubt shorten travel time and might encourage ridership.

MATA

• 2 weeks later...

Bears, I would like to know if there are any pamphlets or broucheres or video that is available to the public about the recent decision on alternative 2. I really support the addition of light rail to the city but would like to see a more rapid transit. I wonder how long before the CSX railroad becomes a part of light rail this would certainly increase the speed and popularity of the system. I would like to ask Tom Fox a few questions can you link me to his email?

Bears, I would like to know if there are any pamphlets or broucheres or video that is available to the public about the recent decision on alternative 2. I really support the addition of light rail to the city but would like to see a more rapid transit. I wonder how long before the CSX railroad becomes a part of light rail this would certainly increase the speed and popularity of the system. I would like to ask Tom Fox a few questions can you link me to his email?

[email protected]

He's a great and speedy source of information. I dunno about any pamphlets or video's but theres a MATATRAC meeting every one in a while. I don't live in Memphis so I usually get my info from the Memphis light rail yahoo group. You see how long its taking the CSX line to get appraised, but were getting it for free so I say take as long as neccessary. How long will it take for us to buy the NS line? :lol: But we'll have to find a way to connect the CSX line with the existing system. It connects to the line that goes next to the Libertybowl under the Union and Poplar junction. I also wonder how the Fedex Forum parking garage fiasco will affect MATA's plans. The federal government is taking away $6 millon for future transportation projects because the PBA promised an intermodal station in the garage but didn't follow through.

• 2 weeks later...

An editorial from today's Commercial Appeal... light rail

At this point I'm looking forward to a new mayor, one that would make this one of his/her top priorities. A new mayor would have a better shot than Herenton at jumpstarting the plan. Not to say Willie isn't capable, but he's lost a lot of support.

Looks like the CA agrees with me on one point...

"...it's fair to wonder whether a better strategy might not be to focus on other established areas where potential riders already live, such as the Overton Square and Cooper-Young neighborhoods....MATA isn't likely to succeed by building a mass transit system that avoids the most heavily used parts of the city."

Hey Bluff...here's another picture from the CA Old Photos site you probably saw. This is the PeopleMover tunnel being constructed in front of the airport terminal in 1973. This tunnel (apparently) extends west from this picture, beneath Concourse A, runway 36L/18R, and over to Airways.

mem_tunnel.jpg

If you look closely, you'll notice that the current Terminal A is under construction in the background, surrounded by scaffolding.

Looks like the CA agrees with me on one point...

"...it's fair to wonder whether a better strategy might not be to focus on other established areas where potential riders already live, such as the Overton Square and Cooper-Young neighborhoods....MATA isn't likely to succeed by building a mass transit system that avoids the most heavily used parts of the city."

Hey Bluff...here's another picture from the CA Old Photos site you probably saw. This is the PeopleMover tunnel being constructed in front of the airport terminal in 1973. This tunnel (apparently) extends west from this picture, beneath Concourse A, runway 36L/18R, and over to Airways.

mem_tunnel.jpg

If you look closely, you'll notice that the current Terminal A is under construction in the background, surrounded by scaffolding.

ahhhh...i hope this is built...the escalators even run down to that level (or at least stairs do)...it's time to have airport-downtown train service!!!! When I was in Atlanta, I grew jealous of MARTA... :D

• 3 weeks later...

ahhhh...i hope this is built...the escalators even run down to that level (or at least stairs do)...it's time to have airport-downtown train service!!!! When I was in Atlanta, I grew jealous of MARTA... :D

I think thats the most important rail route a city can have. Its much easier for a visiting person to understand a rail route over bus. Plus, Fedex will be served by shuttles which will probably take workers straight to their assigned gate.

http://www.memphisdailynews.com/Editorial/...x?&id=93544

Here's the first leg of the light rail line. Unless something gets developed in Little Saigon or at Crosstown, I don't really see the Madison line beyond Pauline getting used much. Just SCO students, a few commuters, and people who park somewhere in Midtown for free and take the trolley to some event. Maybe they'll connect it to the Cordova line, so my hope in the rest of the line isn't gone yet. I think it all really depends on the biotech factor. The success of this project will make or break the Madison line IMO.

I wonder what influence Herenton had on this...I just hope they do more research into the area and hopefully will realize the advantage of the Overton Square/Cooper Young route.

I would love to see the the trolley come through overton square, store owners in cooper young are worried that the rail construction would kill their businesses. The dirt and dust of construction would also ruin the the cafes that have large outdoor seating areas. Almost all the businesses in the area are independently owned and operated, and they might not recover from months of street construction.

Infrastructure improvements have to be made before businesses development occurs not afterwards.

That being said, I think that downtown residents would see a huge benefit from the trolley being extended at least as far as piggly wiggly, home depot and office max.

I really don't understand this...

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/local/...4849117,00.html

Wasn't there someone willing to purchase and donate this railline for the city?

I'm not sure what CSX is doing here. Perhaps they think they can sell lots all along that line for infill developments. They're wrong there...almost none of these "lots" would have any street access.

Archived