Saturday in Wilmington, NC (pt II)

monsoon

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

monsoon, your pictures are of the GREATEST quality. You managed to capture the spirit of Wilmington better than I ever could imagine. Now you've made it VERY difficult for me to take any Wilmington pictures :)

As far as DT Wilmington goes, it is a great place that provides all the elememts of a city, while maintaining a very relaxing and peaceful environment. The housing around downtown is great and it is going to get even better, as more residential projects get developed.

I was surfing the web for photos of Winston-Salem one day and found a website on raising palm trees and this person in Winston-Salem had a website filled with photos of different palm trees around the city. Including some in their own yard with snow on them. An intresting website and a real surprise!

Yeah, I believe the only palms that can withstand the cold are of the smaller variety. I do remember seeing a pic of a good-sized palm in Seattle that was covered with snow one time. It wasn't one of those 50 foot tall palms you see in L.A., but it was still probably a good 20-25 feet tall.

I don't know if these photos will show. I'll link to them, since I don't want to slow this thread down for those with slow connections intrested in Wilmington. I found the website on Palm Trees in Winston-Salem. :D

Here's a towering Palm Tree in Hickory, NC :blink:

http://hardypalm.50megs.com/images/hickory.jpg

Here's another good sized Palm Tree in Winston-Salem. :o

http://hardypalm.50megs.com/images/trachyws.jpg

The Winston-Salem tree has an intresting story with the photo.

On the way home from a beach vacation to Carolina Beach, NC, a little girl asked her dad to buy this palm and bring it back to Winston-Salem. Her dad agreed and it has been growing happily since the early '60s. :o:P

If they grow in Winston-Salem and Hickory, I know they'll grow in Charlotte. Why not buy one and try it! It will be like your at the beach when your in your back yard. :) One of those would be really cool in my front yard in Henderson County!

It's too cold for palm trees here :(. I know of a house along lake St. Clair that lines the driveway with tall potted palm trees every year though. They must bring them into a large greenhouse for the winter though, because there is no way they could survive the weeks where it does not get above 30 degrees outside.

• 1 month later...

Palmettos are rising in popularity in the Charlotte area. I'm seeing more and more of them used in landscaping and I'm seeing them sold in nursurys. I think it seems to be hit or miss with how well they do. Some seem to do tremendously well while others fail. The palms in Seattle you are talking about are called Chinese windmill palms, they too are increasing in popularity, on the east coast they have been known to go as far north as Delaware. Both trees can grow to about 40 feet.

• 11 months later...

Actually Sabal (cabbage) Palmettos (the one in your picture) grow easily in Charlotte, as do Chinese Windmill Palms that grow up to 25 feet tall. I have a Sabal and people on my street have Windmills. Numerous other varietys grow in our area, and many smaller varieties are native to upstate SC and CLT. They don't grow as well north of and around I-40 West of I-95. CLT gets about half the snow of the rest of the state. Charlotte's Climate is most similar to Wilmington's. Although we get a couple more freezes a year.

Great photos of downtown Wilmington! Next time you go to Wilmington, get some photos along US 17 BUSINESS (Market St & 3rd St) of some of the old neighborhoods.

If anybody is in town, check out the soapbox on North Front St in downtown and see Wilmingtons #1 Rock Band of 2005 play when they are scheduled to play. Great music and great times!

http://www.soapboxlaundrolounge.com/

http://www.amissmusic.com/index2.php

Great photos of Wilmington. However, whilst palms will last there if cared for, the indigenous line for palms is about 30 to 40 miles south of Wilmington, just north of the North Carolina South Carolina boundary, and therfore about 20 - 25 miles north of Myrtle Beach. Wilmington is on the north northeast side of the Cape Fear River, and that river marks a real change in climate, or at least the transition zone begins here. Flora is different beginning about 20 miles south of the river.

If anyone is still interested in growing palmettos in the Charlotte area they can check out this older article from the observer. Going Palm Crazy

One thing I really love about Wilmington is that it is not only doing a great job with its center core but that it has an awesome amount of potential that can keep it improving for decades to come. Its a terrific city and will continue to become more impressive as time continues in my opinion. I wish we could see some really great development sprout up in places like Wrightsville Beach too.

Great photos of Wilmington.  However, whilst palms will last there if cared for, the indigenous line for palms is about 30 to 40 miles south of Wilmington, just north of the North Carolina South Carolina boundary, and therfore about 20 - 25 miles north of Myrtle Beach.  Wilmington is on the north northeast side of the Cape Fear River, and that river marks a real change in climate, or at least the transition zone begins here.  Flora is different beginning about 20 miles south of the river.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To me, Jacksonville is the line where if you go north of it, it looks/feels more mid-atlantic (Delmarva) but if you go south of Jacksonville, its the mid-south feel with spanish mosses with it being semi tropical/semi decidious/pines until you get to that other Jacksonville :thumbsup:

Archived