GM to join forces with Renault/Nissan?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would not be the first time this has happened with a Michigan automaker. AMC/Jeep which was acquired by Chrysler, had an alliance with Renault at one time. See here. The alliance failed because they produced horrible vehicles and eventually AMC fell on such bad times they were taken over by Chrysler. (Which has nos been essentially taken over by Diamler.)

I don't think it will make much difference. GM needs to think about making cars that people would actually want to purchase. Toyota is making them irrelevant.

I think GM is starting to do pretty good, especially with Cadillac. But also with cars like the Pontiac Solstice, their soon to come out mid-size crossover SUV's and possible Camaro. The thing that has always helped Toyota is their reliability, other than that their cars are unremarkable, they often have less features, less attractive styling and not as good off the line fit and finish. If GM and other American companies would simply make their cars more reliable, they would have the market cornered. It shouldn't be that hard, since they probably engineered the cars to break down anyways, i.e. planned obsolesance (spelling?).

American companies #1 priority should be getting off the SUV bandwagon, theres still some issues on that front. with SUV demand reclining, the demand now is shifting more towards effficent smaller vehicles something that we Americans are finally accepting along with the rest of the world.

In all honesty I think if the cars were more fuel efficeient, I don't think there would be a big worry over reliablity. I drive an american vehicle now, but before I had a Kia, and that thing had more problems then my current vehicle has now. My Grandpa would always kid and call it "Killed in Action" there were times when I wondered if he was right :blink: (although having it getting hit in the rearend, and almost totaling the car at 25 MPH reinforced that stereotype.)

Kerkorian seems more of a nuissance to Rick Wagoner. His people are always going out there and making suggestions that make the stock price jump, without the companies knowlege. It doesnt make sense to me that Nissan which is doing well, would jump in and try and bail out the Titanic with a coffee mug.

Archived