Deacon Tower

Metropolitan's

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

T4P. Groves is long overdue for renovation and expansion. cant wait to see the renderings! i havent been to a wake game in so long. how has attendane been these last few years? Im pretty sure they've been up since the addition of Miami and V-Tech. now all Wake needs is a winning season and maybe we can see even more construction on Deacon Blvd. did Wake ever purchase that land near Ziggy's?

from journalnow.com

The plan is to tear down the original press box, consisting of 7,100 square feet, after the season to make way for Deacon Tower, a building of 122,900 square feet that would feature 22 luxury box suites, 602 outdoor stadium club seats and 12 premium club tables.

Three more phases are planned after the completion of Deacon Tower. The fourth phase would be improving the rest rooms and concession stands, the fifth would provide a new home locker room and new field-level seating and end zone suites and the sixth would to improve the parking lot and expand the Bridger Field House plaza.

i dont think Groves needs an expansion, maybe a minor one to add a few thousands seats, but i like how intimate and classy it feels rather than a concrete monolith that is just plopped right down in the middle of town. That's why they redid the brick facade and are looking on improving neccessary items like the concessions and bathrooms and the actual field.

• 1 month later...

Ive never been a Wake fan but I guess I can say "Go Deacs" for the sake of the city. thanks to the football team being 3-0 for the first time since '87. This and other factors are contributing to the success of Deacon Tower so far. The athletic department reported yesterday that 19 of the 22 proposed luxury box seats, all 12 club tables and 552 of the 602 proposed stadium club suites have been commited. Construction could start after the HS football championships in Dec.

link

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

what are your thoughts on deacon blvd? isnt that a perfect opportunity for the university to buy those blighted areas and turn into a mixed-use developement with student housing. they should capitalize on the "deacon" for this blvd. they already have the anchors with LJVM, Groves and soon the ballpark. hotels are already there, one or two good restaurants....

what are your thoughts on deacon blvd? isnt that a perfect opportunity for the university to buy those blighted areas and turn into a mixed-use developement with student housing. they should capitalize on the "deacon" for this blvd. they already have the anchors with LJVM, Groves and soon the ballpark. hotels are already there, one or two good restaurants....

I feel that if they reduce the number of lanes on Deacon and do some extensive landscaping then it would be a great start. Make Shorefair the primary thoroughfare for coliseum traffic by possibly widening it to accommodate the loss of traffic lanes on Deacon. I just feel this isn't really the right area for this type of development, it should be connected directly to the campus like Franklin Street is to UNC. Deacon Boulevard has loads of potential and I can see WFU partnering up with the city to spruce that street up in a few years or so since they'll own a good portion of all the land along that corridor.

• 1 month later...

I believe we should see an exciting redevelopment of that entire corridor. There are plans for a mixed use development that would make that corridor fan friendly and a real welcoming area for visitors to the city.

I was at the game Saturday and bit embarrassed by the booing that took place when Wake Forest officially thanked BB&T on the field for their support of the university and the athletic department. This is somewhat new in college athletics but with the size of Wake Forest I think it will help them compete with the larger schools.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived