Downcity Signage

AriPVD

So I am working on a Downcity signage program, specifically aimed at my buildings but hopefully to serve as a template for other downtown buildings. I am hoping everyone can post some examples of their favorite signage here so I can add it to my example collection. Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple things I don't have photos of:

Big Fish in the Jewelry District. Large, colorful, and lit!

Not a sign persay, and bit too subtle, but a good accent is the redesign that RISD is doing at the RISD Store and the Mail Room on North Main. They've frosted the lower part of the windows and have unfrosted bits that are icons that represent the two storefronts, stamps, envelopes, paint brushes, cameras... it looks good, check it out.

The Hotel Providence sign on the Westminster side, I'd kill to see Black Rep get a sign like that.

2006-0802-dolcevilla002.jpg

Caffe Dolce Vita on Federal Hill. I'm pretty sure (hopeful) that this is a temporary banner, but I like the placement and size on this. Even as a simple banner, it's already better than any sign Downcity.

2006-0728-signs003.jpg

I like this sign DCi puts out on the sidewalk. I'm all in favor of shopkeepers being allowed to do this, and to advertise sales and specials and whatnot on sandwich board signs. They must keep them out of the traffic flow though, when they start getting in the way is when I get annoyed.

2006-0627-citron.jpg

Citron, big, colorful, wonderful.

Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard:

Vineyard004.jpg

Vineyard003.jpg

Vineyard002.jpg

Vineyard001.jpg

Sitges, Spain:

sitges_2005-1012_004.jpg

More Federal Hill:

2005-0530-fedhill005.jpg

2006-0302-fedhill004.jpg

2005-0530-fedhill004.jpg

cotuit_2004-0807_004.jpg

Cotuit Grocery :thumbsup:

2006-0416-pawtucket026.jpg

Pawtucket, obviously this sign needs some TLC.

I'm going to look for more.

I wouldn't say the signage on Federal Hill is perfect. Better than Downcity, but far from perfect. Observation from my trip to Quebec City last week: I think they suffered from TOO much signage. It was utterly overwhelming. Not to mention all the signage looked like it was created by the same elf in the North Pole.

I wouldn't say the signage on Federal Hill is perfect. Better than Downcity, but far from perfect. Observation from my trip to Quebec City last week: I think they suffered from TOO much signage. It was utterly overwhelming. Not to mention all the signage looked like it was created by the same elf in the North Pole.

federal hill has that gawdiness... it fits the area. but much of the newer restaurants have great signage that is simple and elegant enough for downcity (places like the siena sign that cotuit posted). signs like cassarinos and andinos are a bit much for downcity.

i, unfortunately, don't have any pics, but i'm a big fan of elegant wooden signs perpendicular to the sidewalk that are lit with spot lights or simple signs taht are lit internally. i'm not sure a lot of neon lights would work in downcity except in the windows of bars and liquor stores.

signs like cassarinos and andinos are a bit much for downcity.

I wouldn't jam Westminster with Cassarino's or Andino's style signs, but I wouldn't say they are too much. If a restuarant indeed does go into the corner of Peerless at Union Street, then I would hope to see a large, verticle neon or internally lit sign (I think Tazza's sign is way far too small for that corner as well). If/when something replaces Dress Barn I think it should have large lit signs wrapping the corner above the first floor and running vertically up the corner of the building. And I wish J&W would do something with the ground floor they occupy at Westminster and Matthewson. It says its a "retail lab" what better retail lab than a real store? The Westminster/Matthewson corner should also have flashy signage. Smaller perpendicular wooden signs are fine for mid-block locations and the lesser corners like Eddy and Snow Street.

Now Washington Street I'd love to see jammed from end to end with large lit, flashy (or even flashing) signs.

I'd like to see a version of the DCi sign I posted, slapped onto the side of the building itself. And there needs to be awnings, not a lot, the street is too narrow, but a few here and there.

I wouldn't jam Westminster with Cassarino's or Andino's style signs, but I wouldn't say they are too much. If a restuarant indeed does go into the corner of Peerless at Union Street, then I would hope to see a large, verticle neon or internally lit sign (I think Tazza's sign is way far too small for that corner as well). If/when something replaces Dress Barn I think it should have large lit signs wrapping the corner above the first floor and running vertically up the corner of the building. And I wish J&W would do something with the ground floor they occupy at Westminster and Matthewson. It says its a "retail lab" what better retail lab than a real store? The Westminster/Matthewson corner should also have flashy signage. Smaller perpendicular wooden signs are fine for mid-block locations and the lesser corners like Eddy and Snow Street.

Now Washington Street I'd love to see jammed from end to end with large lit, flashy (or even flashing) signs.

I'd like to see a version of the DCi sign I posted, slapped onto the side of the building itself. And there needs to be awnings, not a lot, the street is too narrow, but a few here and there.

i hate that jwu "lab". i just don't get the point of it...

and i agree... but in general, signage down the street should be simple and elegant. places on the corner, like the corner space in peerless, should have bigger, flashier signs that rise up the corner and can be seen from both streets, but they shouldn't be as flashy or gawdy as cassarino's (andino's isn't bad).

and while i'm not against the signs on the sidewalk, i think dci should put a sign on the building (unless they can't).

Some signage I've liked...

Manchester, NH

medium.jpg

More Manchester...

medium.jpg

Yet more Manchester...

medium.jpg

Manchester, Manchester, Manchester:

medium.jpg

Will the Manchester ever end?

medium.jpg

Yes it will. Here's Portsmouth, NH (A town whose signage would be great for Downcity):

medium.jpg

A particularly nice Portsmouth cluster:

medium.jpg

Closer to home, Pawtuxet Village:

medium.jpg

The commonalities here? Often wood signs that are colorful, highly styled, and perpendicular to the street. Best when clustered together...

- Garris

I understand that things aren't for everyone, Ari, but it's pretty important to understand that QC is a very large tourist destination.

Here is an except of Rue de Petit Champlain. Sorry for the resolution this is a cropped photo:

27wt3so.jpg

Is this what you're talking about? I have a bunch more Quebec photos at home and maybe I'll post some later but honestly I've never seen a problem, if the goal is to get people to understand what is going on in the stores.

• 2 weeks later...

i wonder how many of these communities that you guys posted pictures from have sign ordinances and what they say.

I'm sure the Vineyard towns have super strong sign ordinances. Probably calling for wooden signs of a certain size.

Archived