The Trust - 139 South Tryon

UptownUptown

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This building has popped up in discussions for quite a while. The problems are, they only have ~20 (?) parking spaces for the whole building. It seems to me that this is a brilliant solution to the problem, as they can divy it up into a use that requires very few space.

If I understand right, this building has been pretty much vacant or semi-vacant for a little while, and they've had difficulty leasing it with no parking. CATS almost leased it because their employees would just be required to take transit, but that fell through because of money.

It is kind of exciting to have, what must be many millions of dollars worth of condominiums at the square. That kind of prestigious housing helps to bring rich and famous people, which help to bring more residents downtown. Bob Johnson, Jeff Gordon, Julius Peppers, Mel Watt, Harvey Gantt, etc. When people know of important or famous people living downtown, it adds to the appeal.

I've known about this one for a while. Just like dub said, parking has been the problem. They even looked at demolishing the vault in the basement (this is the old First Federal building), but it only netted them two additional parking spots. If memory serves me, they only had 14 spaces.

I'm not all that excited about this condo conversion trend. I want Tryon to stay a business corridor. With land disappearing to so much residential, there's really not going to be much left for office development. Especially if we want to see 100K people working uptown by 2020.

a few years back the owner was trying for historic designation, it's supposed to be designed to resemble a pagoda. there's even some sort of koi pond out front that used to be on again off again. The main floor is a really cool space with a sweeping modern staircase to the 2nd floor

I've always admired this building in downtown. In fact, it is one of my favorites and is often over looked by people only interested in size. Very good about noticing the abstract pagada motiff as I think there was a pretty bad attempt at a remodel of the ground floor that changed the look of the building. Amazing the size and price of the condos.

I've always admired this building in downtown. In fact, it is one of my favorites and is often over looked by people only interested in size. Very good about noticing the abstract pagada motiff as I think there was a pretty bad attempt at a remodel of the ground floor that changed the look of the building. Amazing the size and price of the condos.

Does anybody know how much the HOA fees will be?

Just kidding, I think its out of my price range either way haha

When I was a kid, I often dreamed about getting a hold of a floor in an office tower and decking it out to be the coolest apartment ever. I'm very envious of those 8 people.

Also, it appears that all of you who love that building will be relieved. He doesn't appear to be changing much of it beyond the color and the contents.

My guess is it will be a certain specific men's grooming parlor :).

We have so far not even heard rumors of a major bookstore coming near town.

I guess the only people that read in this city are in SouthPark.

Don't be so certain, I've seen negotiations for a large national retailer for the building proposed beside 230 South Tryon...a 2 story corner store

I am also glad they are preserving the integrity of the building and there is obviously a demand for luxury condos Uptown, but I also think there is a ceiling to our condo craze here and we are going to slam into sooner rather than later. A bookstore downtown would be fantastic. Especially if it stayed open later in the evening. They add so much to urban life. An independent would be nice, but I assume it will be a chain considering the cost of the location.

yeah, bad name... great logo. is there already a rooftop terrace on top of this beautiful building, or is it just a plain ol' roof right now?

i guess owning an upscale barber shop... you get to hob-knob with the investing kind. i bet he asked potential investors if they wanted to go into business with him while they were in the chair and he was cutting away... of course they're going to agree.

Those condos sure look big...

Please do something with the back side of this building (facing BofA Plaza). It looks like corrugated cardboard. Maybe some terraces where the ultra-rich can look down at the common folk as they order their Red's Barbecue :P

Archived