Envisioned Raleigh Development/Gencom Group Tower

ncsugrad204

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Investors that are buying the sheraton downtown may used the atrium site to put a future tower. Check it out. :D

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/492280.html

...and some people say we're losing momentum!

This looks good, but probably wouldn't be built until the beginning of the next decade.

I hope it gets some architectural "sweet spots" since it would be butted up against II Hanover.

Strange. How would a new tower integrate with the lobby of the hotel and how would the lobby function during construction.

To me the better opportunity exists in the empty lot and little two story building next door to the Sheraton's parking deck.

I'd imagine that the atrium would eventually become the new lobby if this project ever materializes. It would make sense that the new lobby and focal point for the hotel would be on Fayetteville Street. Currently, the lobby and hotel does very little to grab your attention when entering from Salisbury Street or Fayetteville Street for that matter.

A 25-30 floor addition to this building would greatly improve the money shot in downtown. Talk about some density in this south-end of downtown...

It's always nice when a project catches everyone completely offguard. I'm not going to put the skeptic hat on yet, but I think I'll stay cautiously optimistic. I agree with IBruton that this is probably 4 years away at the earliest. It makes sense to buy the only existing hotel near a new convention center. They'll probably wait until the convention center/convention hotel opens up in 2008, gauge demand for a year or two, and then reevaluate if they are going to build and how large.

Is the atrium on the south or north side of the sheraton?

I think it is accessible from Fayetteville Street, so maybe the north side.

Anyway, I'm sure that this is probably a few years off anyway. Any wonder on how successful the new CC has been at booking events. It appears that hotel rooms are sprouting up all over downtown in these new projects. I'm assuming that these developers see the demand for hotel rooms going up. But how many hotel rooms is enough?

Isn't possible that if hotel demand is strong enough in 2009 that the building could be 35-40 stories with retail, hotel, office, and condos all in one building. Everyone is screaming for more hotel rooms and wouldn't make since to add more rooms for the shearaton right next door in the new building.

I google mapped the location and it actually appears that the atrium is on the north side. I think I can see the smaller building that was mentioned in the article for demolition.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=k&om=1

The atrium is on the south side of the Sheraton....it is most prominant from Salisbury St in order to welcome people arriving from the parking deck...

My bad....Its the restaurant that more or less is NE or the Sheraton proper....there is another architectural atrium facing Salsibury St as well.

My bad....Its the restaurant that more or less is NE or the Sheraton proper....there is another architectural atrium facing Salsibury St as well.

Yeah, I think they mean this atrium, not the hotel's Salisbury St. porte cochre.

This is still a VERY small footprint, especially if the buidling is detached...which leads me to another idea. A building fronting F St. would ruin the hotel rooms on the NE corner of the building. Let's say that the Marriott, Sheraton, and Lafayette don't offer enough rooms to fill demand in 2010. I wonder if the first floors of a new tower there would be hotel rooms adjoining each floor of the existing hotel. Above that could be office space or condos. Condos on top of a hotel. That's the Soleil Center model which offers residents access to the pool, gym, spa, room service, valet parking, security, concierge services, etc. Maybe after such an expansion and renovation the hotel name could be upgraded in the Starwood chain to a W or a Westin.

I'm getting ahead of myself, though. I'd honestly rather see efforts to convert the Sir Walter to a chic hotel than see this proposed tower any time soon.

The atrium is certainly on the north side of the Sheraton. There is lots of glass and a little coffee stand inside. I think some of the little meeting rooms are attached to the atrium.

I would imagine they would renevate the existing tower and rooms and build a temporary lobby. Then tear down the atrium and build up with the bottom few floors being wide open for the new, grander lobby.

I think it sounds great but wouldn't it obstruct the view from the rooms on the north side of the existing tower?

Not to confuse things, but I'm pretty sure that the atrium is on the south side of the Sheraton between that and the BB&T building. To the north of the Sheraton is a small 3-4 story building (not associated with the hotel) and then the old Sir Walter which faces Davie Street/Fayetteville St.

They're talking about the one on the north side. do you have any idea how close that would be to two hannover? Not to mention, that is REALLY small, there is no way they would put a 25 story building in there. The northern atrium with the coffee shop is what theyre talking about

I spent a couple of hours in the Sheraton on Friday, so I feel like i know what they want to do.

Here is a bad ASCII map of the area:

<-- South  SALISBURY STREET

Circle	{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}----------------------{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	2   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

--{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}------{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}  C  {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	or  {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}		 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}  C  {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	3   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}  LOB	{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}   T   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}  C  {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}		{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

-		 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}   O   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}  Story {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

-		 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}   W   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}------		{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}__BBT____{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}   E   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}	 {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}   Bld. {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}   R   {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}  A  {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}		{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}

{sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}}-----------------------	 

FAYETVILLE STREET   North -->

The circle driveup and check-in fronting Salisbury could stay as is and not be affected by the "new" tower.

They are more a part of Two Hannover than the Sheraton itself. The same goes for some of the "Sheraton's" meeting rooms -- they are really in Two Hannover, in the story above LOB and BBT, BB&T's street level branch and lobby.

The Sheraton's hotel tower runs east/west from Fayetville to Salisbury. The bar and patio are in the ground floor of "R" of TOWER in the map above. The escalators are in the W or E. The CCC is a ballroom/conference space west of the atrium, north of the hotel tower. The A is the atrium that fronts F Street and has the coffee bar that serves Starbucks and the restaurant that has buffet space. West of the atrium is the kitchen that serves the restaurant and catering for the meeting rooms. The Atrium/coffee bar is above the pool in the "basement" north of the check-in lobby on the Salisbury side.

The conference space, atrium, and 2-3 story building could be demolished and a "twin" to the existing Sheraton tower could be erected to the north with about the same footprint as the existing tower. Parking could be handled by making another deck -- wrapped with ground floor retail and condos a la Wake County/Empire's plan at the SW corner of Davie/McDowell -- on the southwest corner of Davie and Salisbury Streets.

This won't happen until the new CC is open for a few years, but this is the time to start thinking ahead. The new owners want to upgrade the Sheraton first. With its proximity to the CC, in 2008, they could raise prices 10-20% and still *gain* business even with the Marriott next door. If Site 1 has a hotel component, there might be enough rooms to keep prices in check. The Lafayette's botique rooms will cater to different visitors.

The new tower could be flagged as a W, but I think they would like to place that brand closer to Glenwood South... maybe in the new Reyonlds complex?

Archived