Reviving the famed Louisiana Hayride

dimebag1980

How would it do? I suppose only time till tell.

Back in its day, the Louisiana Hayride was neck and neck with Nashville's Grand Ole Opry as one of the nation's top country music talent showcases. Broadcast to a huge chunk of the United States, this show appealed to the masses by bringing to the stage budding stars. Among these budding stars who actually got their start on the Hayride are Elvis Presley, George Jones, Faron Young, Johnny Horton, David Houston, and on and on...

If revived, I believe it does have a chance to become what it once was and to put Shreveport back on the music map.

There is an article in today's Shreveport Times which got me thinking about this subject. The Louisiana Bond Commssion, yesterday, approved $500,000 to go toward a digital recording center which puts the Louisiana Hayride one step closer to starting back up.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...70340/1002/NEWS

A small collection of Louisiana Hayride related photos:

bmb1.jpg004lahayrideBG.jpg004elBG.jpghayride1.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, Richy, that all happened in Shreveport back in the 50s. The music scene here was huge back then, rivaling only Nashville. Had the Louisiana Hayride taken off more and the Grand Ole Opry not done so, Shreveport would likely today be what Nashville is, home to so many stars and such. Back then Shreveport was home to many country music stars and a second home to Elvis since he played here weekly. Hank Williams, Sr. actually lived here back then and Hank Williams, Jr. was born here. David Houston was born and raised in Bossier City, and he died in Bossier City a few years back. Johnny Horton is buried in a cemetary between Bossier City and Haughton.

I only wish Shreveport could again be what it once was in the world of music.

Archived