Columbia's housing market

CorgiMatt

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a recent story in USA Today about Columbia's housing market.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/hous...-columbia_x.htm

wow.. that's great news!!! Our market saw home sale increase by 3.7% while the state saw home sales decline by a astonishing 11.1%. Good to see the USA today noticing the Columbia housing market and good exposure also. Got to out and buy a copy today :good:

So, they talk about Columbia, but not Greenville, Charleston, etc. The guy who wrote this article is definitely a hater. Good for Columbia though.

There are several articles out there that only focus on one of our cities to the exclusion of the others; it hardly means the writer is a hater.

By the way, here's the image from the article:

close2hm_columbia_sc.gif

So, they talk about Columbia, but not Greenville, Charleston, etc. The guy who wrote this article is definitely a hater. Good for Columbia though.

You need to lighten up, g-man. By using your logic, everyone hates Spartanburg- we hardly ever get mentioned in these types of articles! Give me a break. This is the Columbia subforum.

Corgi, please remeber to give more than just a link when you share articles. We ask everyone to post a brief summary of the main points of the article or whatever issues you think are worth discussion. Please see the rules link at the top in the yellow bar if you have any questions.

Funny how they say South Carolina's home market is down 2.6% when the Greenville Journal had an article last week saying how Greenville's housing market was up 36% over the last 5 years and keeps growing.

Firstly, Greenville's (or any other city's) local housing market is not reflective of the state's overall housing market. Secondly, the statistics here are over a one-year period.

Here's the deal. The Columbia article is from a series "USA Today" is doing (I don't know for how long.) called 'Close to Home, A weekly look at a local housing market.' Columbia just happened to be the housing market they featured on January 23rd. It's in their 'Money' section. It just happens to be an opportunity for Columbia due to "USA Today"'s many, many (Did I say many?) readers who might be looking to move south, or north, or east, or northwest, to a nice place with a steadily growing housing market that's reasonably priced.

Everyone enjoying g-man's emotional rollercoaster ride? :silly:

Actually, I think it is good publicity for our state, even if not everyone's hometown was mentioned. :)

Thanks.

As long as he doesn't post the same thing on 3 different threads, like on another forum, I won't complain.

Don't worry. I won't post it anywhere else.

Ok lets leave gman alone, this is not even close to on topic.

Yes, it was off-topic, but I don't care if people on Urbanplanet pick on me because they do it all the time. I'm pretty much used to it. This article is good exposure for Columbia and it's good to see them doing well in the real estate business. :)

Excellent exposure indeed for Columbia, and in the USA Today no less! Very prestigious and the strength of the coverage alone will attract people looking for decent middle sized southern cities with amenties such as ours here in South Carolina.

Indeed; the article's metion of the influx of halfbacks to the area testifies to that.

In related news, here's an article about the real estate market statewide with some specific information about Columbia.

The 12% increase in home sales for the Pee Dee is interesting and unexpected,to me at any rate. Would Florence be responsible for floating the 12%? Or is there something going on elsewhere in the region?

I, too, was surprised by that figure. If that includes the Myrtle Beach area, we would have our explanation. Otherwise, I'd say Florence accounted for the vast majority of that 12% increase.

For whatever reason, I have never included the Myrtle Beach area as a part of the Pee Dee. To me it doesn't fit in but what you stated makes sense.

Yeah I've always thought of Myrtle Beach as the Grand Strand sort of it's own beast.

For sure, the Grand Strand has an energy and an atmosphere, a sense of progress and movement, and even luxury, that the Pee Dee just seems to lack. (No offense meant to anyone from the Pee Dee region)

• 3 months later...

Archived