An Afternoon Walk Through Downtown Detroit

Allan

A Walk through Downtown, Part III of IV

Looking toward Broadway Street from Madison Avenue

DET0082.jpg

Why did anyone allow Ilitch to buy the Madison Lenox? I can only hope that it is saved...somehow.

DET0083.jpg

Some buildings in Harmonie Park.

DET0084.jpg

Want a loft? You can get one in this building...I wonder how much they cost....

DET0086.jpg

Looking south from Broadway & Randolph

DET0087.jpg

Crews are still digging a giant hole for the new downtown YMCA building.

DET0088.jpg

Looking across the YMCA site to the Metropolitan Building

DET0089.jpg

DET0090.jpg

Homeless guy who wanted me to take his picture. He didn't even ask for money like they usually do.

DET0091.jpg

Another bar coming soon! I'm tall, so I could peak over the window coverings. It looks like it's very close to completion on the inside.

DET0092.jpg

DET0093.jpg

Another Building I've forgotten the name of

DET0094.jpg

More buildings on Broadway. Does anyone know what's going in the building on the left? I didn't see any signs, but they are building some new store or restaurant in there.

DET0095.jpg

The back of the buildings on Broadway. Detroit could use some infill here.

DET0096.jpg

The downtown library. This recently reopened after an extensive restoration.

DET0097.jpg

DET0098.jpg

DET0099.jpg

DET0100.jpg

DET0101.jpg

DET0102.jpg

There were two artists standing nearby painting this same exact scene.

DET0103.jpg

DET0104.jpg

DET0107.jpg

The YMCA site from the other side. One surface lot built on, many more to go.

DET0105.jpg

The Metropolitan Building. It was supposed to be converted into lofts. The interior was cleaned of all hazardous materials a year or two ago, but then the building was sealed up. No work has taken place since.

DET0109.jpg

DET0110.jpg

DET0114.jpg

What is a tour of Detroit without a shot of the People Mover?

DET0111.jpg

DET0112.jpg

John R street was closed at Woodward because crews were replacing an aging pipe. Many pipes will be replaced and streets resurfaced for the Super Bowl. There's enough here to keep construction crews busy for quite a while.

DET0113.jpg

The Lofts at Woodward are great. The location is perfect. Lofts like this would be only for the rich in any other city, but in Detroit they start around $800 per month.

DET0115.jpg

Directly across the street is the Merchant's Row loft project. Over 100 lofts and ground floor retail will be created on two blocks of historic buildings along Woodward Avenue.

DET0116.jpg

The project is moving along. The facades are being cleaned and repaired. On the inside, windows are being installed. I also saw some countertops out on the sidewalk, so some of the units must have already had their kitchens installed.

DET0117.jpg

A view made possible by the Hudson's demolition. It appears that they will build a building to bridge the gap in the block very soon.

DET0119.jpg

DET0120.jpg

Another view made possible by the demolition of Hudson's. I hope they build something on the site soon. The city spent millions of dollars converting the four basements of Hudson's into an underground parking garage. You'd think they'd want to put a building on top of it soon.

DET0121.jpg

DET0123.jpg

DET0124.jpg

DET0126.jpg

Some Compuware employees taking a break while observing the transformations occuring on Woodward Avenue.

DET0127.jpg

Kern's Clock has finally returned to its place on Woodward Avenue. The clock was originally on Kern's Department Store until the building was demolished in the 1960s. Today the Compuware Building occupies the site.

DET0128.jpg

David Stott Building

DET0129.jpg

Book Tower from Capitol Park.

DET0130.jpg

Part One

Part Two

Part Four

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Yeah, the metropolitan is one of my favorites. It's in a great location too. I'll be looking to move to downtown or midtown in four years, so hopefully they will have finally gotten the lofts constructed by then. Apparently the DDA & the developer have not been able to reach favorable terms for the sale of the building yet, even though the city supposedly "sold" the building last year.

Archived