Hanes Brands to Close Stratford Road Plant

suburban george3

In another sign that textiles is losing ground fast, the Hanes Brands Stratford road facility will be closing by the end of June. Most of the work will go off-shore. This will idle a facility that has been a fixture on Stratford road all of my life.

WSJ article about Hanes Brands Stratford Road Plant Closing

The employees will get generous severence and retraining packages. Plus this will open up a large area on Stratford Road for redevelopment.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so sad. and what type of country do we live in where big corporations would rather save a dollar than employ their own people. eventually, there will be no factories. either ur a white collar working in a highrise or scrubbing floors. nothing in the middle.

this will definitely slow down all the progress winston has made.

These job cuts are not only happening in traditional manufacturing but will start occuring in the "so-called" knowledge based economy. Dell will be laying off a significant portion of their workforce in the near future. You can thank abysmal foreign trade policies and Wall Street for the destruction of the American economy.

Dell indeed is having troubles that they were not experiencing when they commited to build the Forsyth County manufacturing plant. If their sales keep declining, they may indeed NOT fulfill employment projections at that facility and reduce current staffing levels. Winston-Salem and North Carolina sure got a deal for their $200+ million dollars.

I believe focusing on smaller companies and start-ups is going to be the way most smaller cities will have to survive moving forward. Larger companies will gravitate towards larger "first-tier" cities. Smaller companies and start-ups are going to look for areas that are less expensive and have a higher quality of life, that is where smaller cities can excel. It's going to be a challenging future economically, indeed.

As far as the Hanes Plant and their employees, I feel confident they'll find work in our area. I know some may not find work paying what they are currently making, but I feel we can absorb this loss quickly as our area has been creating jobs at a fairly decent clip as of late.

The site itself will be prime real estate and speculation about a high density urban type village development is being tossed out for discussion. We'll have to see..

WSJ article about potential of Hanes Stratford Location

^if that happens, the state and city would get their money back! but also since the w-s plant serves the entire east coast, and is the company's largest most advanced, they could consolidate and add positions? *wishful thinking

this plant is next to texas pete... right?

If Dell is bleeding like we have heard there is nothing stopping them from downsizing this plant and sending these jobs to Asia. Its happening right now with pharma and biotech as well as the computer industry. I have a friend at a agri-biotech company (unnamed) that says they are even now sending work to South America-who would have thought.

• 1 month later...

i recently read in the newspaper that Dell is planning on selling a new line of computers in Wal-Mart stores. This will definitely help them regain their spot as the number 1 brand over Hewlett Packard and also help boost sells. They plan to offer new cheaper computers that will attract new buyers and increase profits. hopefull this will keep them from needing to downsize.....especially the plant in Winston.

this Hanes plant is a perfect site for developers on a busy retailing street. this would be the perfect place for an upscale development with mixed-use. retailing, liviling, offices and possibly a REAL Upscale hotel.

I hope that once Hanes is gone that something really nice is done with the land. It is a perfect location with a large consumer base and traffic

Dell is currently in the process of laying off 8000 people, most of which will be from production facilites in the US. I would expect the Triad plant to lose 25-50% of its workforce considering its the largest manufacturing plant. Most of these jobs will be sent overseas or to South America.

Story

You can pretty much be rest assured that most manufacturing in the US will be offshored in the next 5-10 years (even in the so called "knowledge-based" economies)

Dell is currently in the process of laying off 8000 people, most of which will be from production facilites in the US. I would expect the Triad plant to lose 25-50% of its workforce considering its the largest manufacturing plant. Most of these jobs will be sent overseas or to South America.

Story

You can pretty much be rest assured that most manufacturing in the US will be offshored in the next 5-10 years (even in the so called "knowledge-based" economies)

^Fortunately they will not quailfy for those tax incentives if they don't meet the employment numbers by 2010 but I do believe they received up-front benefits such as road construction and infrastructure upgrades.

• 5 months later...

The Hanes Brands Plant on Stratford Rd. is now officially for sale. Supposedly, up to 10 potential developers are researching 'possibilities' for the site. This will be a test of the local market, as many other retail areas are building in W-S and credit is tight nationally right now. Triad Commercial Properties is marketing the site. A mixed use development will be the likely end use of the property and hopefully we can get some traffic improvement in the area as well.

WSJ Article about Hanes Brands Plant up for sale

so sad. and what type of country do we live in where big corporations would rather save a dollar than employ their own people. eventually, there will be no factories. either ur a white collar working in a highrise or scrubbing floors. nothing in the middle.

this will definitely slow down all the progress winston has made.

The Hanes Brands Plant on Stratford Rd. is now officially for sale. Supposedly, up to 10 potential developers are researching 'possibilities' for the site. This will be a test of the local market, as many other retail areas are building in W-S and credit is tight nationally right now. Triad Commercial Properties is marketing the site. A mixed use development will be the likely end use of the property and hopefully we can get some traffic improvement in the area as well.

WSJ Article about Hanes Brands Plant up for sale

My biggest concern is how will the development that the chosen developer will design interact with the mill community behind the plant? This is a great little area full of small hair salon boutiques and mill-style homes.

Assuming the developer doesn't buy up additional parcels, this is the amount of land he has to work with:

HanesSite.jpg

Here is a quick mock-up of what I'd like to see done with the site:

(Road Plan) I would bring back the road grid that was originally here but extend Harvey all the way to Mission that way the traffic doesn't create a bad feeder system onto Stratford:

RoadMap.jpg

(Design) I wanted this project to be neighborhood friendly and promote density and walkability along Stratford. I have created a parking deck system for customers that makes you enter on Stratford, but you exit onto a side street from the tallest building in the photo below. None of the parking decks (customer and residents) are viewable from the naked eye, they are cleverly designed into the buildings with either residential or retail wrapping around them. There is a public park (like the one at Shops at Friendly but a tad bit bigger) that will be for all shoppers and customers to unwind with an undecided feature in the middle of it. As for the architecture, think South Park Village in Charlotte or Mizner Square in Boca Raton, FL:

Site1.jpg

Site2.jpg

Site3.jpg

Red/Peach - Parking decks

Blue - Retail/Office

Green - Residential

Archived