The City of Greenville Trails and Greenways Master Plan

gs3

I've jogged on our greenways numerous times and never noticed the sign in the photo below. These must be new. I snapped a photo of one of the signs which are posted all along the greenway. Gives some idea of how large the system is winding through downtown, West End, University Rodge, Cleveland Park, etc. I'm excited to see more and more miles being added to the greenway! :thumbsup:

CIMG4106.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is, indeed, new (to me at least). I had never seen it before either, gsupstate. I can't wait to see this continued on North along the Reedy in front of RiverPlace and then North into the new "Cleveland Park West" or "Mabry Park" or whatever it's going to be called.

One thing I've always been curious about though..the stretch between Falls Park and Cleveland Park doesn't seem to be "officially" included in the Park System even though the walking trail continues through there. Does anybody know why this is? It's like a fragmented sentence and the missing VERB is that stretch that crosses under Church Street and crosses the Reedy again.

One thing I've always been curious about though..the stretch between Falls Park and Cleveland Park doesn't seem to be "officially" included in the Park System even though the walking trail continues through there. Does anybody know why this is? It's like a fragmented sentence and the missing VERB is that stretch that crosses under Church Street and crosses the Reedy again.

This may be the answer. I think the city wants this portion to be natural and forested. Last time I jogged through this section, there are little yellow and red flag markers all over the place, along with this sign, and looks like several recent plantings. I don't really know anything about this project. Anyone have insight?

CIMG4108.jpg

You'd think the City and County would prioritize this stretch and lend a lot of support to completion of whatever it is these kind folks have planned.

I think it'd be nice if the Chamber of Commerce Building were accessable from the trail as well, perhaps with a nice stairway like those on the Governor's School campus.

• 5 weeks later...

I heard an interesting topic today from a local city official....they were talking about the Greenway System eventually "ringing downtown". Running up fom Linky Stone and (future Mayberry Park), to Heritage Green then connecting a short distance over to McPherson Park, then down Park Ave to Laurens, short distance under 385 and then hooking up where Cleveland begins near the Richland Condos. Thought it was a great concept....to have downtown within a total greenway ring. I pulled up this old post.....look at the map at the top, it already forms almost a half ring. Would be very doable.

I just hope "urban forest" isn't a nice way of saying "overgrown area where a few volunteers will collect trash four times a year." This could be prime real estate, and I hate to see this "urban forest" get in the way of future development. I see the need to protect our natural resources, but I feel that the area could be developed for the good of the city without clear-cutting the land.

I just hope "urban forest" isn't a nice way of saying "overgrown area where a few volunteers will collect trash four times a year." This could be prime real estate, and I hate to see this "urban forest" get in the way of future development. I see the need to protect our natural resources, but I feel that the area could be developed for the good of the city without clear-cutting the land.

When I jog by there, it looks like the city (or volunteers) are giving it some T.L.C. There are little flags marking the different plantings and it's looking much better than just a few months ago. While it will never be manicured like the rest of Falls Park, I think it will be a nice section of the greenway since they are going for natural beauty.

Something needs to dress this area up a bit. I'm surprised that it has been let go for so long, especially considering what a potential jewl in the crown this park system can be for Greenville. To the casual passer-by on Church Street driving into town, it's difficult to even notice that there's a park down below. Something needs to stand out and say, "Hey! I'm a beautiful system of parks in an urban setting and I'm right here! Come explore me!" I somehow doubt that this Urban Forest Project will do that.

• 1 year later...

Here is a link to information concerning a public forum on April 11 (Wednesday) regarding the City's plan to further develop and implement its successful greenway system. There is also a link to an online survey available on that document for anyone who cares to provide input electronically. I hope everyone who loves Greenville's outdoor recreation opportunities will support the City's efforts.

Since this topic has arisen, I thought it might make a fun discussion here. We could share ideas that could enhance the experience around the city. I know there have been similar discussions in the past and several individuals provided unique and creative ideas. I am thrilled to see the City moving forward with this plan, and hope some of our ideas will be useful. :thumbsup:

Here is a link to information concerning a public forum on April 11 (Wednesday) regarding the City's plan to further develop and implement its successful greenway system. There is also a link to an online survey available on that document for anyone who cares to provide input electronically. I hope everyone who loves Greenville's outdoor recreation opportunities will support the City's efforts.

Since this topic has arisen, I thought it might make a fun discussion here. We could share ideas that could enhance the experience around the city. I know there have been similar discussions in the past and several individuals provided unique and creative ideas. I am thrilled to see the City moving forward with this plan, and hope some of our ideas will be useful. :thumbsup:

One of the ideas I mentioned in the survey was to implement a safe and pedestrian-friendly trail/greenway system looping Downtown. We have a great start in place already, but a better connection between Cleveland Park and MacPherson Park, then back over to the riverwalk at RiverPlace would finish it off nicely. :shades:

One of the ideas I mentioned in the survey was to implement a safe and pedestrian-friendly trail/greenway system looping Downtown. We have a great start in place already, but a better connection between Cleveland Park and MacPherson Park, then back over to the riverwalk at RiverPlace would finish it off nicely. :shades:

• 2 weeks later...

The large triangle between Stone Avenue, Wade Hampton, and Column Street is being re-landscaped to be more park-like. Does anybody have any information on this? Is this possibly going to be included in the city's greenway eventually or is it going to at least be part of the park system? It looks like it's going to be very nice, but that property is still showing as being privately owned. It'd make a great addition to the greenway or the park system. :thumbsup:

The large triangle between Stone Avenue, Wade Hampton, and Column Street is being re-landscaped to be more park-like. Does anybody have any information on this? Is this possibly going to be included in the city's greenway eventually or is it going to at least be part of the park system? It looks like it's going to be very nice, but that property is still showing as being privately owned. It'd make a great addition to the greenway or the park system. :thumbsup:

Archived