CONSTRUCTION THREAD: Nine story East Court Street Tower

g-man430

The DPC has approved the plans for a nine story mixed-use building to be built downtown near the intersection of Main and East Court Streets : http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...353/1004/NEWS01 Groundbreaking is expected in July. This is a construction thread devoted to all news, discussions, updates, and photos of the project.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the DPC meeting and saw their presentation.

The total height of the building will be about the same as the Chamber of commerce building.

The foot print of the building and overall mass are very similar to the Chamber of commerce building.

The top two floor are combined into one "glass box" penthouse, the penthouse will be set back from the front and court street side of the building.

All the floors have small balconies facing main street and corner balconies on the back overlooking court street.

The main street level will be retail with doors and a landing that open on to Mcbee court.

The store front will be wooden with glass build to look like the original store front that was on the site in 30's.

The steps and part of the under ground parking will be located in the Mcbee court yard and still have to be approved by city council.

Nicely detailed building.

Did not really look like the Field house more contemporary.

Kind of a modern interpretation of historical architecture as opposed to a historical reproduction.

It should be interesting to see this one get built considering the building will cover the entire site. The are going to have to build cantilevered scaffolding over the Carpenter Brothers build to finish the exterior.

Some of the DPC main concerns with this project:

How this building will affect the court yard for public use.

How the height affects the surrounding buildings and public space.

Main street level must be a public use space (retail or restaurant)

The building must be pedestrian friendly and contribute to the main street experience.

I know we all complain about the DPC but in my opinion the DPC is have a huge positive impact on the development of the city.

I'm guessing the underground garage would be considered a story maybe? but that would still only bring it to 8, so I don't know. or it could be that the penthouse is setback and not visible from this rendering angle. that makes more sense.

I like it! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the rendering lbs5015.

Some of the DPC main concerns with this project:

How this building will affect the court yard for public use.

How the height affects the surrounding buildings and public space.

Main street level must be a public use space (retail or restaurant)

The building must be pedestrian friendly and contribute to the main street experience.

I know we all complain about the DPC but in my opinion the DPC is have a huge positive impact on the development of the city.

First- lbs5015, or anyone else, that image needs to be clipped out of that scan of the paper. That text counts as copyrighted material, so it needs to go. Please take care of that soon.

Second, I'm not so sure I like this concept, and I admit its for entirely selfish reasons. I really enjoy that plaza outside of Bellacino's. Its very pleasant, and it gets just enough sun. A great place to enjoy some pizza. The Liberty Building almost blocks the there during certain parts of the year, but not others, and I think its a delicate balance that shouldn't be interrupted. Plus, it would take a lot of space away from Bellacinos! Perhaps that weird sunken parking lot behind that location (facing Court St) would be better (though that still wouldn't help the sun issue I mentioned).

Spartan it appears you need to get out more often. :lol: This is surprising since you usually seem to be on top of what is happening. From the very early rumors to the first official public announcement a few months ago, the location for this building has always been that "sunken parking lot" you referred to. :thumbsup:

As for it affecting the sun, too bad - that is what happens when a city densifies. There are plenty of tables and chairs across Main Street, next to City Hall. There should be more than enough sun there. Usually when I don't eat inside Bellacino's, I will walk down to Falls Park or the Wyche Pavillion to enjoy the pleasant Reedy River atmosphere. This plaza will not be any less desirable to me than it is now, and it will still recieve plenty of afternoon sun. :shades:

I agree with Skyliner about keeping things cool and all. As for the design, I was hoping for something a little more original, and not just another all brick (boxy) bilding. However, it looks attractive enough, should fit in well, and add to the density in the area. I am a little nervous about the DPC however, you never what they will do. :blink:

Archived