Chicago Tour - Part II

Neo

DSC01398.jpg

Chicago's water filtration plant alongside Navy Pier that converts water from Lake Michigan to drinking water for the city.

DSC01401.jpg

My old workplace as seen from floor 94 of the John Hancock building!

DSC01407.jpg

Looking SW towards the Sears Tower

DSC01410.jpg

DSC01411.jpg

DSC01416.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

DSC01430.jpg

Sorry for any blurry pictures from the Hancock...I didn't have a tripod so it was up to my hands, LOL!

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

DSC01461.jpg

The Cubs had a game on Saturday so we headed out that way.

DSC01469.jpg

DSC01473.jpg

Homes near Wrigley Field

DSC01475.jpg

The Red Line L

DSC01481.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01491.jpg

Lincoln Park

DSC01519.jpg

DSC01548.jpg

The John Hancock building as seen from Lincoln Park

DSC01553.jpg

I think this was taken from Ontario St.

DSC01556.jpg

Beautiful archtecture! (The blue top building...)

DSC01558.jpg

New construction! There is a lot of that in Chicago.

DSC01560.jpg

Looking down Columbus I think

DSC01561.jpg

A city bus!

DSC01563.jpg

A condo building...they were just finishing this one up as I moved from Chicago.

DSC01564.jpg

The NBC building

DSC01568.jpg

Navy Pier

DSC01569.jpg

Inside Navy Pier

DSC01572.jpg

Looking SSW from Navy Pier

DSC01573.jpg

DSC01574.jpg

DSC01583.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

O'Leary's Fire Truck Tours! :lol:

DSC01627.jpg

Taken from the Shops At Northbridge

DSC01634.jpg

More of the Chicago Tribune building!

DSC01645.jpg

My last night in the Windy City... :(

DSC01652.jpg

Navy Pier

DSC01678.jpg

DSC01681.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

Visit Part I!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chicago does have a subway system, but it's nowhere near as extensive as say the NYC system. There are several stations underground through downtown though. Here is a map of the complete system and then one zoomed in on downtown (not shown on the full system map):

subway_map.gif

inset2.gif

The only subway lines are the ones in Red and Blue and are really only underground through downtown. All other lines are either elevated or fixed on the ground such as the southern red line that runs in the middle of the Dan Ryan Expressway. The Red Line has 10 subway stations and the Blue Line has 12. There are a couple more I believe but they are abandoned. Interesting to note is the tunnel map below:

Map.jpg

Not sure what all of these tunnels are/were for but some of them are used for the pedway (underground walkway system), subway & Metra transfer.

Here is the pedway map:

PedwayMapSmall.gif

Just had to come back for a third look. So much to see & I've always loved this skyline.

Seems like you stayed @ Big John for an hour or 2. I think sunset is the best time to go to the top (well almost in this case) of any city as you get both the day turning into night view.

The brownstone terraces look like something I could live in quite easily.

BTW Who do The Cubs represent?

Seems like you stayed @ Big John for an hour or 2. I think sunset is the best time to go to the top (well almost in this case) of any city as you get both the day turning into night view.

BTW Who do The Cubs represent?

Well, I was at the observatory for maybe 45 minutes. I've been up there several times before and had a similar view from where I worked in the AON Center (around the same floor). I mainly wanted to take my Mom and stuff up there (Mother's Day gift I suppose, LOL!) so she could see the city from up high. Sunset is definately the best time to go. We missed a bit of daylight because we got there later than I had hoped for but it panned out ok.

The Cubs play Major League Baseball in Chicago, one of the most well know, if not the most well known baseball team in America. The White Sox also play in Chicago but are Minor League and their stadium is located on the opposite side of town (SW where Wrigley Field is NW).

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely awesome. The Tribune building really is a work of art. I'd love to see it.

Allan - I don't want to hear it. ;) Its been much longer then that for me, and my trip wasn't even enjoyable due to my age and being /w two parents not so urban-inclined. They thought a McDonalds over the interstate was cool on I-90 in suburban/rural Illinois. LOL

• 2 years later...

Archived