Omaha Streetcar Proposal

Rardy

Per this somewhat-dated article from the World-Herald, the new $55 million streetcar planned endorsed by Fahey could be operational by 2010.

Phase 1 would operate on a 3.5 mile route connecting Creighton, Qwest Center, DT, and the old Market. Phase 2 could either connect the Doorly Zoo and Rosenblatt Stadium or Midtown and the Univ. of Nebraska Medical Center.

StreetcarRoute.jpg

If the service is free (as Fahey favors), ridership could exceed 6,600 per day.

The city would not use antique trolley cars, but rather "sleek, modern" light rail ones like Portland, OR's to promote Omaha's image as new and modern:

LightRail.jpg

The final financial analysis from HDR concluded that a streetcar line is feasible and that it "would act as the catalyst for stimulating downtown Omaha's enormous potential."

A novel financing plan is based on an anticipated "streetcar effect," with development stimulated in a three-block zone on either side of the track.

The city would create a tax-increment financing district in the development zone surrounding the track. The idea is that, as the area developed, the new property taxes generated would be used to pay off the construction bonds for the streetcars.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good stuff! Man that would really revv things up for Downtown Omaha. I'm a big fan of the sleek design; Houston's look like that too. Hopefully the service will be free! Phase II would really be nice too connecting the Medical Center all the way to the stadium and zoo!

What exactly are the boundries for NoDo?? I can attempt to see.

Good stuff! Man that would really revv things up for Downtown Omaha. I'm a big fan of the sleek design; Houston's look like that too. Hopefully the service will be free! Phase II would really be nice too connecting the Medical Center all the way to the stadium and zoo!

What exactly are the boundries for NoDo?? I can attempt to see.

Sounds like a great proposal, esp. if its online by 2010. The city really appears to be on the ball is pursuing projects to enhance its urban infrastructure and further develop its image as a modern forward looking city. That bodes well for the city IMO. Hope it stays on course and it pays off.

Archived