Southside

ezcheese

Well, I said that once I got a new camera I would be taking pictures all around Greensboro now that I'm back. This is the first of many picture threads I'll be posting.

This is Greensboro's revitalized South Side neighborhood which is very close to downtown.

Most of these houses are new construction.

Enjoy!

ss001.jpg

ss002.jpg

ss003.jpg

ss004.jpg

ss026.jpg

ss027.jpg

ss028.jpg

ss029.jpg

ss030.jpg

ss031.jpg

ss032.jpg

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow these are great! :D Thank You far taking these wonderful photos. Some people forget that the Southside neighborhood is actually within the central business district and not a surrounding residential neighborhood. Its interesting because some of the homes are restorations and others are brand new homes that look like old homes. I think this is the part of downtown that has seen the most dramatic change over the past 10 years.

People always talk about how urban renewal always destroy historic architecture and the unique fabric of neighborhoods. The Southside neighborhood is an example of urban renewal gone right. I just love the character of this neighborhood. I hope to see something similar happen near the ballpark.

• 3 months later...

Thnaks it is coming along really nice. Its amazing how many people were downtown this evening. 8,000 plus fans were watching a ball game at the new stadium. People are walking the streets venturing out to restaurants and night clubs and I even hard some street music. Downtown is alive again and it a difference from 5 years ago.

That looks like a great urban neighborhood, and it appears to have a very "Greensboro" flavor to it as well--nice fit. I am not very familiar with the central parts of Greensboro. Where is this neighborhood in relation to the Ballpark or the Southern Railway train station?

Thanks,

NorffCarolina, if you look at this picture, i took it standing from the Southside downtown neighborhood. The depot is in the background behind the fake river and railroad tracks on the right side of the picture. You can see part of the station behind the tree

2005railyardpark.jpg

Southside is in the southeastern quadrant of the central business district and the ballpark is in the northwest quadrant of the central business district so its on the opposite end of downtown

here is a map I drew that will show where southside is and the ballpark. Downtown is one sqaure mile. Southside is the larger purple area on the bottom right and you can see the ballpark icon. You can also see where Railyard Park and the waterway will go. What is intereating is that Railyard Park will eventually become a greenway that will encircle downtown. It will provide an easy and attracte way for Southside residents to walk to the ballpark which would be about a mile walk along the greenway.

downtowngreensboroNC.jpg

downtowngreensboroNClegend.jpg

Thanks!actually its still very affordable. There are some pricier units at about $375,000 but thats still a bargain compared to cities like Atlanta or Charlotte where you'll find million dollar penthouse units. but at the low end, You can buy condo units in downtown Greensboro at about $175,000. But over time, it will eventually get expensive to live downtown. Thats why its a good idea to by property now so when you sell it, you'll make a very large profit! Property value will shoot through the roof!

Great pictures of Southside Neighborhood. This has been the neighborhood I have been most excited about in the past. It has been fun to watch it build and take shape. A lot of planning and for-thought went into this neighborhood and now we can enjoy the fruits of all that effort. The next neighborhood I am excited about is the proposed neighborhood surrounding the ballpark. The old North State Chevrolet property and possibly the propery across the street, owned by the county, holds tremendous potential. I really hope this neighborhood gets off the ground soon and gains similar success to that of Southside. Of course this neighborhood will be a bit different with five story buildings. But this is all exciting.

I liked your map as well. You have some great possibilities listed. I liked seeing some stuff south of Lee street on Elm. That area, which I consider a brown-field is an important peice to redevelopment. I was totally bummed that the stadium couldn't have been built there but I now enjoy the final location. I do hope though that in the near future that section of Elm, south of Lee, can be redeveloped. Not sure what will fit there but it needs some TLC.

These are really nice pictures, Cityboi. I'm really pleased with the development that's gone in the area, it seems like the area just exploded with development all at once. Also, is there any idea on the timeline for construction of the waterway? I'm really excited to see what that's going to look like.

Thanks!actually its still very affordable. There are some pricier units at about $375,000 but thats still a bargain compared to cities like Atlanta or Charlotte where you'll find million dollar penthouse units. but at the low end, You can buy condo units in downtown Greensboro at about $175,000. But over time, it will eventually get expensive to live downtown. Thats why its a good idea to by property now so when you sell it, you'll make a very large profit! Property value will shoot through the roof!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live in Southside and those numbers reflect last years prices. At the present the cheapest townhome is around 225,000, and the most expensive is 432,000. I believe the live/work units are running around 350,000.

I like the fact that there are different styles. There is a total of 4 phases and they are constructing the fourth phase now which includes more townhomes and live-work units plus two large commercial buildings. I like the New Orleans Style housing as well. The only things that are missing are the horse and carriages :) But not only are the styles different but there are different forms of housing that are being developed and redeveloped in the Southside Neighborhood. There are townhomes, live-work units, apartments that look like Charleston homes, new single family homes and restored single family homes.

Archived