West End Village

Matthew

Tom Fowler, the owner of the old Modern Dealership property on Broad Street at 4th Street is working with Lincoln-Harris and Boulevard Centro on a new downtown residential project. Boulevard Centro is best known for their condo towers and contemporary designed residential projects in Uptown Charlotte. It should be exciting to see what happens. The Fowler Property will also likely have a 14 screen theatre run by Consolidated Theatres and an IMAX theatre. Dale Pollock has a letter of intent from Consolidated to build the downtown theatre and approval from IMAX. The theatres would also be the showing place for Winston-Salem's RiverRun International Film Festival. This should be an exciting development to follow. It's still early in the design process. We will know more about this new 4th Street development soon!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great news! The more residential projects, the better.

I second that! I think it's great that the project will go on no matter what happens with Krispy Kreme. I had been seeing "for lease" signs on the Modern Chev. property and was afraid there were problems afoot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

More specifics are surfacing about the proposed mixed-use develoment at 4th and broad. It looks like NCSA has chosen the site for the downtown multi-plex, with no IMAX. It could be because of lack of space at the proposed site. Even without the Imax, its still an excellent attraction for residents. The exciting part is boulevard centro's involvement with this project. The residential component is more than likely visioned to be village style, instead of a high rise like the Bellameade project in Greensboro. Either way, their designs are always on point.

Multiplex theater may be built on former site of Unity Place

Complex at Fourth and Broad wouldn't have an IMAX theater

article at www.journalnow.com

the theatre site is an empty parking lot and across the street is another empty lot. Between 2nd and 4th is the old car dealership which moved to N. University Pkwy, and some other relocated businesses. thats the site for the residential and business components. the multiplex is walking distance from Foothills Brewery, and the entire development is very close to te porposed baseball park complex at Bus.40/ Green Street /Peters Creek Pkwy.

the theatre site is an empty parking lot and across the street is another empty lot. Between 2nd and 4th is the old car dealership which moved to N. University Pkwy, and some other relocated businesses.  thats the site for the residential and business components.  the multiplex is walking distance from Foothills Brewery, and the entire development is very close to te porposed baseball park complex at Bus.40/ Green Street /Peters Creek Pkwy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well thats cool. I've noticed that NC cities seem to be focusing more on filling in surface lots lately. My memory is foggy, but was this somehow related to Krispy Kreme?

At any rate it sounds like 4th St is becoming quite an active corridor through Winston-Salem. If Winston-Salem had a "main street", would you nominate 4th St now, or perhaps in the future? By "main street", I'm referring to the likes of Tryon in Charlotte or Elm in Greensboro (and eventually Fayetteville in Raleigh). I'm not real familiar with the downtown area except for just some visits here and there.

And I've totally missed the news of a baseball park proposal. Are they any renderings or site plans or is it still a vision? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get a better feel for Winston since it (and the Triad) are becoming much higher profile places in the state. It seems that the proposal machine has been churning out some interesting news around there lately :)

the owner of the warthogs is interestd in moving the w-s warthogs into a new downtown stadium. the proposal was made last spring but nothing has moved foward as far as physical development. the latest news was made in the winter, about billy prim? (the owner) buyin additonal land next to the ballpark site. the development is supposed to include the park, retail and a mid-rise for the HQ of Blue Rhino and another company.

excerpt from www.Fox8wghp.com

We should find out next month just what will be put at the corner of 4th and Broad Streets in Winston-Salem. You'll recall that was where the Unity Place development would have gone. But the $60 million project fell apart last year after Krispy Kreme announced it would not put its new headquarters there. A few details about the new project can be found in Tuesday's Winston-Salem Journal. The paper reports it will still be a commercial and residential development, but will have smaller office space than Unity Place.

from journalnow.com

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509099

The location of the proposed Ballpark would be great, right next to Bus-40. If you think about it, those who think Hawthorne Hill and DT will eventually will become one skyline may have it right afterall.

I also hope the new plans for 4th and Broad take root this time. According to the new report, is the plan for a IMAX still out?

• 3 weeks later...

From the Triad Business Journal:

Boulevard Centro, a Charlotte-based residential development firm, will partner with developer Lincoln Harris to give new life to the site of what was once to be the Krispy Kreme-anchored Unity Place development on the western edge of downtown Winston-Salem.

Dennis Richter, a principal in the firm, said the company plans to open its on-site sales office Thursday for what is now being called West End Village. The new development will be mostly residential, with plans calling for 250 units to be divided between multistory town homes and single-story flats. Lincoln Harris will develop between 40,000 square feet and 60,000 square feet of office space as well as between 10,000 square feet and 15,000 square feet of retail space.

The first phase should break ground in September.

Full story here.

From the Triad Business Journal:

The first phase should break ground in September.

Full story here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cool, I really like that idea. If this is a success, I don't see any reason why this type of project couldn't be replicated in other places around downtown.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

4th and Green:

rendering:

http://blvdcentro.com/wsalem3/4thgreen.htm

- 56 units

- units range from 1033 sf - 769 sf

- ground floor retail

article from triad.bizjournals.com...which also mentions a 4th mulit-story, mixed-use building to be constructed next summer. a member from SCP says it it could go up to 10 storys.

http://triad.bizjournals.com/triad/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

article from journalnow.com

http://journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pa...s=1037645509099

I have to say, as I've said before, the architecture of the West End Village project leaves a lot to be desired, but purely from a development perspective, I applaud Boulevard Centro. I think it's great that they are recognizing the potential of downtown Winston-Salem and West End. Hopefully, it will be a great success for them and it will prompt them to make further investments downtown - and, perhaps, then they will recognize the additional cache the project could have with good architecture.

I know it sounds insincere, but I am so much more excited about the current West End project than the Krispy Kreme concept. The Krispy Kreme concept was too suburban Old Kentucky Road for an urban setting. The current project is much more cosmopolitan, Mid-Atlantic in nature.

My issue with the Krispy Kreme concept was that they were designing the Krispy Kreme hq to look like an old schoolhouse which was so lame.

• 2 months later...

Archived