Garrison Lofts

Skyybutter

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Driving north on N. Graham this morning, I noticed a new rezoning sign placed at the grassy area between the Circle K and Brookshire Freeway. Next to it was a sign with a rendering of a lowrise condo project. I only got a quick read of it while driving by, but the project was called something like The Garrison at Graham.

Well, it's actually pretty big...there is a ground floor and parking level, then 5 stories of lofts above that with each story being 16 feet tall and with a mezzanaine.....so i Guess total height to be right at 100 feet. It's pretty attractive......here's a link to the website.

http://www.thegarrisonatgraham.com/building.html

I like it, even though it is fake historical. The skyline views will be great and it adds a good size building to the Graham St. corridor.

Looks good to me...this caught my attention:::

"Gated parking with optional hydraulic double-parking system "

if that comes to be I think it would be the first of its kind in Urban Charlotte.

rendering.jpg

My only concern with this building is that it is only feet away from I-277 and if you are on the 277 side then I hope you have VERY thick windows...maybe its going to be designed so that the access hallway is along the 277 side and then all the units face downtown...if thats the case...then the sound from 277 won't be that bad.

It would have been cool if they'd expanded to include the circle k lot, and put the gas station and convenience store on the ground floor.

I really like this design. It will fit right in on Graham St. (It reminds be of West Morehead). I'm not sure i understand how it is fake, unless it is the kind of design where they'd use styrofoam (as mentioned in the stucco thread). I think i like buildings that look to historic architecture... somehow, i think they age more gracefully that way...

The view coming in from Brookshire is going to be awesome in a few years. These types of urban buildings abutting Brookshire, really add the sense that you are arriving somewhere. With the state plans to relocates the ADM plant, and the resurfacing of brookshire with novachip asphalt, that entrance to town will be really cool.

Light sleepers should not apply however. Aside from the constant drone from the Brookshire, trucks entering the CBD tend to use Graham for various reasons, and the area is surrounded by freight trains that travel through there all night long.

My personal feeling is they should tear down the Brookshire freeway and divert all traffic onto the newer John Belk Freeway part. It would also go a long way to revitilizing all of the bungolow neighborhoods that sit to the north of the freeway between Graham & Tryon. How nice would that be?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it appears site work on Garrison at Graham condos has begun. I drove by it on my way to work this morning...they were clearing trees with some earth moving equipment. This is the parcel nestled between I-277 and the Circle K store on the west side of Graham.

I drove by today, and they have cleared the site of brush, and possibly leveled it.... but also, they have erected a tall staircase/scaffold tower to demostrate the view to potential residents. Quite cool (although they might not be happy about the open air noise of the freeway, and the open air smell and sight of the adm plant.

The CVS along Graham is also starting to come along nicely, as I they have made some considerable progress on the interior.  Can't wait for it to open...it's sorely needed in the neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's good CVS is coming along

The CVS along Graham is also starting to come along nicely, as I they have made some considerable progress on the interior.  Can't wait for it to open...it's sorely needed in the neighborhood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i'm really excited about this CVS, and it looks quite nice.

although, if you drive around to the new/expanded part, it is actually pretty amusing how they have made it look like bricked-in old door ways and windows... it is brand new!!!. I guess it doesn't quite count as fake-history, though, as they are trying to be in keeping with the original part of the building.

I cannot figure out yet how the drive through will work. did they scrap that? or will it be a tube drive through in the back that hasn't been built yet? The currently U/C building doesn't look like it has any openings for a drive through.

I might be wrong, but I don't think it will have a drive-through. I think Friends of Fourth Ward squashed that idea.

I work in the building across the street and have been watching the progress with a mindful eye. I still can't figure out what the old office space that sticks out of the front will be. The folks over at Gerrard Tire told me that the developers weren't tearing it down. They mentioned it was to be marketed for a "coffee shop" type use, but weren't sure if that was still the plan.

Archived