Condos on Westin parking deck

Guest donaltopablo

Guest donaltopablo

Topic to discuss retrofit of Westin to include a condo tower on top of the parking deck.

2euplpd.jpg

Westin mulls condos as part of tower

Atlanta-based Portman Holdings, which developed the 700-room convention center hotel with Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. of White Plains, N.Y., has been in contact with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Planning Commission staff about incorporating condominiums at the hotel site. Portman officials acknowledge an interest in pursuing residential development at the 601 S. College St. property. But they caution that they are only in an exploratory phase. The $180 million hotel complex includes a six-story, 1,650-vehicle parking deck. Portman's arrangement with the city of Charlotte gives the company development rights for space above the deck.

Rest of the article here: http://www.bizjournals.com/industries/trav...ry3.html?page=2

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

While taking a lunch break tour of uptown today I noticed a sign in front of the Westin that said "office space available, New office tower" or something to that affect. I was driving so I didn't get a great look at it, but it showed the Westin hotel and another building behind it.

Is this sign new? Are things moving forward for this project? And does this mean they have ruled out the condo portion?

Mo

Yeah I don't think that spot has a snowball's chance in hell at ever being a condo tower.

It will eventually be built as an office tower, but it's just a matter of finding a large enough tenant. It is very attractive space with below aveage rents for Class A uptown space and a parking ration of 2.5-3 spaces per 1,000 sq. ft. which is far superior to most any other tower downtown. I think if they would build it on spec they could easily lease it, but as has been stated many times, lenders don't loan money for spec office in Charlotte.

I wish everyday that we were in a better spec market. If we were, I can't imagine the kind of boom we would be seeing Uptown. Think of all of the spec office development in cities like Atlanta and then squash it into a small 1.5 square mile area, then poof, you have a mini NYC. B) Actually, the CBD of Chicago is equal to roughly the same size area of the space within the loop. If CLT ever got that dense what a city she would be. Could you imagin the drive around the 277 loop then? YEAH BABY !!!

A2

if charlotte's sky eventually is that color, i'm not sure the population in the loop will be much more than ~500. i certainly won't live here in that scenario :).

A2, do you have some of what you are smoking to share? in what universe are you expecting charlotte, north carolina, to have the same amount of office space as downtown chicago? unlike chicago, we are not the entrepot for half a continent's worth of agriculture and manufacturing.

• 9 months later...

I thought I had heard about this before and had actually seen the rendering in an architecture magazine. Also thought they had discussed building condos with services from the hotel. I saw this sign the other day for the first time -- not sure how long it has been there but looked new and can't recall any recent press...

post-9752-1150914503_thumb.jpg post-9752-1150914554_thumb.jpg

anyone know details?

post-9752-1150914503_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1150914554_thumb.jpg

Archived