Providence/RI Photo of the day - by Garris

Garris

Hello!

I thought I would share some of my photos of Providence with everyone here. I'll try to post at least one or so a day. I'm hoping that this will accomplish several goals. First, I hope it familiarizes everyone a bit more with Providence, one of America's most beautiful and interesting small cities. Second, I hope it will encourage me to take more photos regularly which, given my often 14 hour per day job, is often very difficult. Third, I very much want technical feedback from everyone here in the hope of improving my photographic abilities. Lastly, I would like to share through photography what I find so interesting about urban living and about many of the wonderful environments our society has created.

My biggest goal: Hopefully, you see one or two photos of a place and say, "Wow, I've never seen a photo of [insert city name] like that before!"

I won't limit this threat entirely to Providence. I'll throw up photos from Rhode Island, other locations in New England, and other photos from around the nation I've taken. Of course, all photos are copyright of myself, and are not to be used, distributed, copied, or replicated without my expressed persmission.

Without further delay, here we go...

Providence from Prospect Park at Sunset, from Downcity to the capitol (super wide angle lens, not a panorama, perspective corrected in photoshop elements, no color alteration)

test1copy2dc.jpg

Providence from Rhode Island Hospital, all downtown regions (Capitol, Downcity, Jewlery, East Side) (a panorama of several different photos stitched together, slightly color altered to correct for the odd color effects of the RIH windows)

provpanoramaalt21bc.jpg

And from other photos in my collection, Madison, WI from across the lake during a rain storm (a city very similar to Providence, actually, no alterations)

madisonwebalt7oz.jpg

I welcome feedback!

- Garris

Providence, RI

First question: Does the size of the images work for everyone here? What size width wise does everyone recommend?

• Replies 836
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today's topic: Benefit Street

Providence's "mile of history," this is a narrow street lined with gas-lamp style lighting that is chock full of homes dating from the colonial period to the late 1800's. From Georgian to Greek Revival, every classical architecture variant is represented and every residential type from sprawling estate, to apartment building, to row house is found.

This is one of the many impressive homes on the street, this particular one belonging to Brown University, whose campus is adjacent to this district, along with RISD (Rhode Island School of Design). This shot is with a wide angle lens, perspective corrected in Photoshop Elements.

benefitbrownyellow2no.jpg

Here are some colonial era townhomes/row houses, a home type that except for some examples on Benefit Street, is actually quite rare for Providence, unlike Boston.

benefitrowhouses8kk.jpg

Unlike some cities where an area like this is far from the downtown, Benefit Street is just 2-3 blocks from "Downcity," which it parallels. Positioned slightly higher than the city, the West side of this North-South running street has panoramic views of the skyline (and home prices to match). Entry level 1 bedroom condos tend to run about 300,000 - 500,000 dollars, and 2-3 bedroom condos and individual homes (especially with city views) tend to run 500,000 to 1,000,000 dollars (although values can be found). For this reason amongst others, Benefit Street is often called Providence's equivalent of Boston's Beacon Hill.

While far from my favorite photo, this is the only one I have that gives a sense of the closeness of the downtown. It is taken in a break between two Benefit Street homes.

benefitskylinebetweenh8sh.jpg

Until tomorrow!

- Garris

Providence, RI

Garris:

Take a pic of the Fluer de Lies (sp?) house!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I take requests :-). It's not just of the Fleur de Lies house, but it's pretty close. This is Thomas Street, which

connects the downtown to the above depicted Benefit Street and is itself one of America's most beautiful

blocks (in my humble opinion).

I'll have more of Thomas Street to come later on.

For now, TheAnk, enjoy!

thomas3bldgs3ao.jpg

- Garris

PS: Any other requests? Anything anyone would like to see? I'm also looking for some good photogenic towns

nearby. What do folks think? How do Newports, Jamestown, and some of the other areas look in the Winter?

Edited by Garris

How do Newports, Jamestown, and some of the other areas look in the Winter?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cold! :lol:

We supposedly have some snow coming, if you can make it down to that neck of the woods in the snow, there's probably some nice photos to be had.

Nice.. Love that house.. Nice pic..

I always thought West Broadway and the Victorian houses were picturesque.. And of course, the Cranston Street Armory from the park... The state house and independent man on top.. water fire.. #12 @ Triggs golf course.. The mural on the underpass going to Onleyville Sq.. The Woonasquatucket river @ Donigian Park & Rising Sun at the water fall..

So get working!! jk :D

Nice.. Love that house.. Nice pic..

I always thought West Broadway and the Victorian houses were picturesque.. And of course, the Cranston Street Armory from the park... The state house and independent man on top.. water fire..

Edited by Garris

mikepl,

Feel free to join in! Your shot is really nice. Did you take it from Benefit? Any technical info on the photo or any mods to it? Please add any additional shots you'd like.

As for me, I'll add one more scene from Benefit today, and then maybe shift gears somewhat. Enjoy!

benefit3houses0xi.jpg

- Garris

Well, I stand humbled... Your shots are gorgeous. How are you getting such a super-saturated look? Are you cranking up the contrast and brightness in Photoshop? Is that just a result of setting the camera to take black and white? How do you get that artistic "sheen" to them?

For your info, my photos are a mix between my previous camera (Canon A70) and my current one (Canon Digital Rebel).

- Garris

I love the Canon A-line... They can be had for around $250 and are powerful, with features and adjustments that can only be found on cameras hundreds of dollars more. Important for cityscape shooting, they have relatively inexpensive lens add-on attachments that allow for shooting (with some distortion) at a 35mm equivalent of 24.5mm, pretty impressive, and around 250 mm zoom.

I current use a Canon Digital Rebel with 12-24mm Sigma, 18-55mm Canon, 50 mm Canon, and 70-200mm Canon lenses.

- Garris

PS: Speaking of underpass murals, does anyone know what will happen with the murals under the 195 overpass approaching the Point Street Bridge from Wickenden?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ground up and buried somewhere, those parcels are slated for development. There's really no way to save them. But hopefully some public art will be incorporated into the area somewhere, perhaps when the time comes someone should lobby for mural space.

I have a copy of a plan for the 195 relocation. I'll have to scan it in pieces, but I'll see if I can get it scanned and posted.