Favorite Triad Mall

StevenRocks

What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Triad-area mall or shopping area?

• Four Seasons Town Centre (Greensboro)
    • Friendly Center (Greensboro)
    • West Wendover Avenue (Greensboro)
    • Hanes Mall (Winston-Salem)
    • Other shopping centers on Hanes Mall Boulevard (Winston-Salem)
    • Oak Hollow Mall (High Point)
    • Colonial Mall Burlington (Holly Hill)
    • Burlington Manufacturers Outlet Center (BMOC)
    • Randolph Mall (Asheboro)
    • Eden Mall
    • Pennrose Mall (Reidsville)
    • Other

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted friendly. It's close to where I live and there is a pretty decent mix of stores. There's a huge Harris Teeter right next door, and my favorite movie theater, the Grande is also right there. Traffic is a headache though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like a lot of aspects of Friendly Center, too.

-- The small town-style street grid.

-- Hecht's with the retro-funky arches on the outside.

-- the huge Harris Teeter

-- the old-fashioned, free-standing Sears with the parking spaces that are always too small for regular cars. :D

-- The Extra Ingedient, one of the better independent kitchen stores you'll run into.

-- The Extra Ingedient, one of the better independent kitchen stores you'll run into.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some friends recently told me about that place and I noticed it the last time I drove through Friendly. I will definitely be checking it out soon.

Some friends recently told me about that place and I noticed it the last time I drove through Friendly. I will definitely be checking it out soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You'll be glad you did. :thumbsup:

Have you heard anything about what's going to happen with the expansion area at Friendly Center? I know that Starmount Corporation purchased land noth of Harris Teeter (the old Burlington Industries headquarters complex) for new stores. But after that, I heard nothing.

Any info you (or any one else) can provide would be appreciated. I don't get to Friendly as much as I used to.

Laugh at me, i voted for Randolph Mall. It should deserve a vote for " most improved " mall in NC when in 2000, it was half empty and hardly anyone goes in it. Now, theres so many more stores and they've attracted big names in the mall which asheboro has a population of 30,000 people.

The best mall in teh Triad has to go to Four Seasons but the best pedestrian mall is definatly Friendly Shopping center. The restaurants in Greensboro are by far one of the best in the state whether its italian (pasatanos on Lawndale), cajun food on Elam (Wild Magnolia), american food is best at Hams on Friendly and High Pt Road. Despite that Greensboro statistically has the highest crime rate in the state, it does not deter me to go to Greensboro for a night out. I just stay out of Lee St east of downtown :thumbsup:

Laugh at me, i voted for Randolph Mall. It should deserve a vote for " most improved " mall in NC when in 2000, it was half empty and hardly anyone goes in it. Now, theres so many more stores and they've attracted big names in the mall which asheboro has a population of 30,000 people.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Randolph Mall has improved a whole lot over the past few years, but my 'most improved' award has to go to Friendly Center. Twenty years ago, that place was a dump. Four Seasons and Carolina Circle were newer and more modern, and the '60s-era Belk was a joke. There were a bunch of crappy stores that no one went to, and no 'cool factor' at all.

Somewhere around 1990, the owners started going after national tenants and tore down about half of the buildings on the site. Hecht's expanded and Belk rebuilt their store and a lot of the old-line shops with no appeal and extremely cheap leases were bought out and replaced. You would barely recognize the place if you were familiar with its old configuration.

You'll be glad you did. :thumbsup:

Have you heard anything about what's going to happen with the expansion area at Friendly Center?  I know that Starmount Corporation purchased land noth of Harris Teeter (the old Burlington Industries headquarters complex) for new stores.  But after that, I heard nothing.

Any info you (or any one else) can provide would be appreciated.  I don't get to Friendly as much as I used to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't heard anything new about that area, but I do know that they're in the middle of tearing the old "exoskeleton" building down. They have already torn down a good portion of the old Burlington Industries complex. Whatever does go up there, it's going to need to be as much of a landmark as the exoskeleton building was!

I haven't heard anything new about that area, but I do know that they're in the middle of tearing the old "exoskeleton" building down. They have already torn down a good portion of the old Burlington Industries complex. Whatever does go up there, it's going to need to be as much of a landmark as the exoskeleton building was!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tha was a cool building. Severely dated, but cool nonetheless.

Concerning the expansion, I just hope it's not another Target or Wal-Mart anchoring the new section. They're cool (esp. Target), but there's already two of each of those within five miles of the place. Friendly needs something new and fresh for the market; something you can't already get in Greensboro. What that could be, I'm not sure.

Tha was a cool building.  Severely dated, but cool nonetheless.

Concerning the expansion, I just hope it's not another Target or Wal-Mart anchoring the new section.  They're cool (esp. Target), but there's already two of each of those within five miles of the place.  Friendly needs something new and fresh for the market; something you can't already get in Greensboro.  What that could be, I'm not sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree. Something new would do very well in that part of town too.

The parking lot is huge. I personally think they need a connected parking deck, you never can find a spot unless you have to walk 1/2 a mile to get to an entrance....not to mention the time it takes to travel down Hanes Mall Blvd/Strafford Road. I think the Thruway center deserves an honorable mention as well.

I also like the Friendly Center in Greensboro, it would have to be my second choice. But finding the stores within can be challenging....and I don't think it's pedestrian-friendly at all. Some of the stores are very spread out requiring you to park and drive a few times if you shop at more than one store....also road access isn't all that great for those who don't live in Greensboro and travel the highway to get there. Wendover Rd/High Point Rd are very similar to Hanes Mall Rd traffic-wise, but at least Hanes Mall is right off I-40.

Hanes Mall scares me.  Have you even gotten in and out in less than 1/2 an hour.  That parking lot is huge!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. A few years ago Thruway Center had the slogan: "When you have an hour, not an afternoon." It's funny, but so true.

BTW, I apologize for not making Thruway or Colonial Mayberry Mall in Mt. Airy choices on this poll. They have limited appeal, but so do some of the other choices :)

In other thoughts, does anyone think that Macy's will stick around in the Triad when they get finished converting the Hecht's stores?

Personally, I have my doubts. I think the Hecht's at Friendly Center has a good chance at staying a Macy's for a while beacuse it's always been a strong department store. Maybe the Wendover store, too. I thought it started a little slow, but it seems to have picked up a bit.

But the Hanes Mall Hecht's store has scared me for years in that regard. Both it and Dillard's are a little paltry because the store chains that built them were more boutique-like in their presentation than what followed. Both Dillard's and Hecht's at Hanes Mall are in serious need of a makeover and/or an expansion, but neither store seems strong enough to pull it off.

A friend and I have discussed what should be done to make those stores stronger, and we've agreed that Hanes Mall would be stronger if the two mediocre stores would become one store; meaning either Hecht's or Dillard's should bow out and let the other do a double-header store so that there'd be less redundancy and a stronger anchor presentation overall.

With the Federated merger coming, my money's on Dillard's winning that war and Hecht's/Macy's bowing out.

What do y'all think?

In other thoughts, does anyone think that Macy's will stick around in the Triad when they get finished converting the Hecht's stores?

Personally, I have my doubts.  I think the Hecht's at Friendly Center has a good chance at staying a Macy's for a while beacuse it's always been a strong department store.  Maybe the Wendover store, too.  I thought it started a little slow, but it seems to have picked up a bit. 

But the Hanes Mall Hecht's store has scared me for years in that regard.  Both it and Dillard's are a little paltry because the store chains that built them were more boutique-like in their presentation than what followed.  Both Dillard's and Hecht's at Hanes Mall are in serious need of a makeover and/or an expansion, but neither store seems strong enough to pull it off. 

A friend and I have discussed what should be done to make those stores stronger, and we've agreed that Hanes Mall would be stronger if the two mediocre stores would become one store; meaning either Hecht's or Dillard's should bow out and let the other do a double-header store so that there'd be less redundancy and a stronger anchor presentation overall. 

With the Federated merger coming, my money's on Dillard's winning that war and Hecht's/Macy's bowing out.

What do y'all think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think that either should move out of Hanes Mall. Dillard's store at Hanes is already big at 3 stories and i think Macy's could hold it's own at Hanes mall.

I don't know if the store on Wendover will survive though... I don't know how successful their off-mall Hecht's store concept is going though. I think the one in Friendly will do fine.

So overall, I highly doubt that hechts / macy's will leave Hanes mall and that Dillard's will take over or vice versa. It is a possibility though.

Dillard's store at Hanes is already big at 3 stories

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, Hecht's is the three story one. That's what's somewhat bothersome. It's always so dead on the third level. Thalhimers had a restaurant and a full home department upstairs when they were there and it kept people coming and the floor a little lively. When May Company took over Thalhimers, they downgraded the store and removed the restaurant and all of the rugs and mattresses. Hecht's cut even more stuff when they took over. Parts of the upper level look really crappy because there's not enough merchandise to fill it up.

I guess I'm a little upset about it because it was a really cool Thalhimers for a few months and it's been a mediocre Hecht's for nearly 15 years.

Dillard's is a decent store overall at Hanes but it's just too small and a little dated. They bought the store after it was built, but before it opened, so if you're wondering what Ivey's last stores looked like, it's the best example, though they never have glammed it up like Ivey's used to back in the day. They desperately need a home department, and the way their store's designed, there's no easy way to expand it.

Even if they both stay, they're going to have to step up their game a lot. Belk is awesome; one of the best in the chain, and it's where I shop at when I need something from a nicer department store in Winston. Maybe Macy's will give the Hanes store a makeover and make things a little more competitive.

I hope Macy's doesn't kill Wendover. It's a smart concept. A lot of people like the idea of popping in and out of a store, and it's a good attempt to reach that demographic. That said, they could have located it a little better, but to be fair they came in after most of that area was developed.

ah, you're right. Hecht's is the 3 story one. Thanks for the insight on Hanes, i didn't know of all of that. And it's interesting to see what an Ivey's would have looked like. I haven't been to Hanes in a while... hopefully I'll make the trip there in the near future

It's interesting to see what an Ivey's would have looked like. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Others may disagree, but I thought Ivey's last prototype (when they were part of the British American Tobacco [bATUS] conglomerate anog with Marshall Field's and Saks) was their best by far. Hanes Mall, as far as I know, was the only Ivey's built from scratch in that design. Four Seasons and SouthPark were remodeled in the style in the '80s, but the exteriors were still very '70s.

Ivey's Four Seasons was one of the first suburban stores I saw with three shopping levels and the only one that favored dramtic colors and lighting all over the store. Up until then, all the Greensboro stores were very '60s (even the '70s ones), without a lot of distinctive interior design. For me, Ivey's was a revelation.

The thing that would have made that design perfect would have been a restaurant and furniture department, but strangely, Ivey's got rid of their resturants when they upgraded Four Seasons and SouthPark. I don't know if they ever sold furniture, but I digress.

It's dated now, but the look was very chic for the time. The store design had a specific point-of-view, with the same cornice design and angled ceilings all over the store and a signature skylight over the escalator well that opened up the place to the outside a bit.

Dillard's ripped out everything, including the skylight, in Greensboro, and It's going to at SouthPark really soon. For now, you can pick up a little of the old Ivey's at SouthPark too, but it's been corrupted by Dillard's corporate-ness for the last decade or so.

Others may disagree, but I thought Ivey's last prototype (when they were part of the British American Tobacco [bATUS] conglomerate anog with Marshall Field's and Saks) was their best by far.  Hanes Mall, as far as I know, was the only Ivey's built from scratch in that design.  Four Seasons and SouthPark were remodeled in the style in the '80s, but the exteriors were still very '70s. 

Ivey's Four Seasons was one of the first suburban stores I saw with three shopping levels and the only one that favored dramtic colors and lighting all over the store.  Up until then, all the Greensboro stores were very '60s (even the '70s ones), without a lot of distinctive interior design.  For me, Ivey's was a revelation.

The thing that would have made that design perfect would have been a restaurant and furniture department, but strangely, Ivey's got rid of their resturants when they upgraded Four Seasons and SouthPark.  I don't know if they ever sold furniture, but I digress.

It's dated now, but the look was very chic for the time.  The store design had a specific point-of-view, with the same cornice design and angled ceilings all over the store and a signature skylight over the escalator well that opened up the place to the outside a bit.

Dillard's ripped out everything, including the skylight, in Greensboro, and It's going to at SouthPark really soon.  For now, you can pick up a little of the old Ivey's at SouthPark too, but it's been corrupted by Dillard's corporate-ness for the last decade or so.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're ripping out the skylight at SouthPark!! :( What I remember from Ivey's SouthPark when I was young (if i'm not mistaken) that there was a small fountain in front of their enterance into the mall... I don't remember their restaurant though, where exactly was that. Do you know when/if they are planning to renovate the exterior of Dillard's SouthPark?

thanks

They're ripping out the skylight at SouthPark!!  :(  What I remember from Ivey's SouthPark when I was young (if i'm not mistaken) that there was a small fountain in front of their enterance into the mall... I don't remember their restaurant though, where exactly was that.  Do you know when/if they are planning to renovate the exterior of Dillard's SouthPark?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know for sure if they're taking out the skylight at Dillard's SouthPark, but my guess is that's it's going. It's nearly identical to the one at Four Seasons, and that one's been gone for several years. I got very angry when I found out they were taking it out in Greensboro, which startled the lady working in the children's department who apparently had no idea they were remodeling the store. Long story. Some people! :(

But, yeah, Dillard's SouthPark is getting gutted sometime in the next couple of years; sooner than later. The exterior and interior are going and 40,000 square feet of new space and a parking deck are being added. I don't know what the store will look like when they get done, but at least two giant synthetic stucco entrance arches wouldn't exactly be a suprise. :(

At SouthPark, there were fountains in front of both Ivey's and Belk a few years ago. They got ripped out around 1996. The resturant was upstairs on level 2 at Ivey's and it was Arthur's, the same place that's on Level 1 at Belk. BATUS kicked them out and Belk took them in when they remodeled. Arthur's was in Greensboro, too, at Ivey's Four Seasons. They may have been at more stores, but I'm not sure.

I don't know for sure if they're taking out the skylight at Dillard's SouthPark, but my guess is that's it's going.  It's nearly identical to the one at Four Seasons, and that one's been gone for several years.  I got very angry when I found out they were taking it out in Greensboro, which startled the lady working in the children's department who apparently had no idea they were remodeling the store.  Long story.  Some people! :(

But, yeah, Dillard's SouthPark is getting gutted sometime in the next couple of years; sooner than later.  The exterior and interior are going and 40,000 square feet of new space and a parking deck are being added.  I don't know what the store will look like when they get done, but at least two giant synthetic stucco entrance arches wouldn't exactly be a suprise.  :(

At SouthPark, there were fountains in front of both Ivey's and Belk a few years ago.  They got ripped out around 1996.  The resturant was upstairs on level 2 at Ivey's and it was Arthur's, the same place that's on Level 1 at Belk.  BATUS kicked them out and Belk took them in when they remodeled.  Arthur's was in Greensboro, too, at Ivey's Four Seasons.  They may have been at more stores, but I'm not sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it's sad how it's all happening so quickly. I wish I remember old SouthPark more than I do.... I remember Sears and that side of the mall better since my mom loved the Sears store... we'd go to Belk and Ivey's occasionaly and sometimes Thal/Hechts. I do remember Woolworth's though because we'd always go there to use the bathroom when i was younger (i don't really know why)...

I really HOPE Dillard's does not look like every other Dillard's with the arches and God forbid that happening but if it does i'll be upset. Hopefully they can make it look more like the Dillard's at Augusta Mall (which looks a hell of a lot better than the arches).

str0457.jpg

Dillard's at **Augusta Mall** (correction)

str0473.jpg

The one at Chesepeake Sq in Hampton Roads, VA -- This one is very interesting

str0260.jpg

But it will probably end up looking something like this, this one is in Atlanta, or some of the newer more bland ones.

Dillard's in South Park is going to start remodeling towards the end of the year so they can get on the same vision and architecture as the rest of the mall and so they can open the new look not too far behind the opening of Neiman Marcus or maybe before and this comes from my cousin who is a store manager at Dillard's and a styling consultant at numorous stores in the mall......There will be an article and news update on this project soon, and as I was told this new vision for Dillard's is suppose to be the beginning of the new era of the "New Dillard's with more of a glassy type architecture...but i'll keep you posted

str0457.jpg

Dillard's at Augusta Mall

str0473.jpg

The one at Chesepeake Sq in Hampton Roads, VA -- This one is very interesting

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Chesapeake one used to be a Leggett :)

My mom used to work for Leggett in Roanoke in the '90s at Tanglewood Mall. It looked a little different though.

tanglewood_mall_04.jpg

Taken by me, of course :)

Concerning the Friendly Center expansion...

I've read a couple of things on the internet that concern the expansion. For one thing, it will be mixed-use. Check this out from an article in The Business Journal from last year:

Ron Wilson, a senior vice president at Starmount [Corporation], said his company also is planning 72 for-sale condominiums and some office space on the Burlington Industries site. He said Starmount likely will build the condos, which could offer 1,500 square feet of space at a price of $200,000 a home.

According to the News & Record, the retail expansion will bring Friendly Center to 1.2 million square feet, which is larger than Four Seasons Town Centre's 1.1 millon, making it the second largest shopping center in the Triad behind Hanes Mall.

I've also read that Harris Teeter could be relocating their store into the new section, and I'm assuming the current store would be torn down in that scenario.

Concerning the Friendly Center expansion...

I've read a couple of things on the internet that concern the expansion.  For one thing, it will be mixed-use.  Check this out from an article in The Business Journal from last year:

Ron Wilson, a senior vice president at Starmount [Corporation], said his company also is planning 72 for-sale condominiums and some office space on the Burlington Industries site. He said Starmount likely will build the condos, which could offer 1,500 square feet of space at a price of $200,000 a home.

According to the News & Record, the retail expansion will bring Friendly Center to 1.2 million square feet, which is larger than Four Seasons Town Centre's 1.1 millon, making it the second largest shopping center in the Triad behind Hanes Mall.

I've also read that Harris Teeter could be relocating their store into the new section, and I'm assuming the current store would be torn down in that scenario.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard the same things from the local news there... It's sad though that the Burlington Industries building is being torn down. How much bigger can Harris Teeter's new store get? lol.. but it would be good for Gboro to see some mixed use

Archived