Third Ward Warehouse District

uptownliving

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another Project annonced today...this time for 3rd Ward....looks to be another David Furman project...will be about 4 stories and on 1st St right next to Frazier Park....it is being billed as an affordable project. There is a ad for it in today's Creative Loafing.

Any speculation or evidence of price?

They start in the $120s  and have the lowest price per sq foot in uptown according to the developer.

Is there a website or a telephone number to call for asking about pricing? I may put this into the bucket to consider as I've been considering moving closer to DT for quite some time but have been pushed away by the price.

www.1strowwarehouse.com

The website is FINALLY up, but it's not much of one (not at the moment anyway).

Shows a rendering it seems, but it's really small. Forewarned, it takes a bit to load the page. Here is the text on the page (since you probably can't read it without zooming in using Flash):

"This website is under construction and will be online shortly.

Please contact us at

704-944-9222 for more information."

1st Row Warehouse, a Furman project which U/L broke to us a few weeks ago... located by 77 in 3rd ward.

Or are you asking something else that i'm missing?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are we sure it is a Furman project? Looks like one, but might be a copycat. Doesn't say anything about being a BlvdCentro development.

Are we sure it is a Furman project?  Looks like one, but might be a copycat.  Doesn't say anything about being a BlvdCentro development.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Furman is independent from Blvd Centro...there are a number of projects where Furman was the architect and Blvd Centro was not the developer.

It's immistakedly Furman in design and by rendering.....it says it's being marketed by Helen Adams, so I suppose it's not Blvd Centro since they handle pre-sales in house. It seems that U/L is in the know though on this one......it looks good and will blend well with Cedar Mill and the Boxer Building.

• 3 weeks later...

This is still a nice urban infill project to meet the demand of the market.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. Not every single building in a downtown has to be a skyscraper. In my opinion, a high ratio of buildings to empty lots is much more important than how many tall buildings you have.

Urban projects that look like this are getting pretty common these days. It reminds me of The Paramount in Raleigh, except that the Paramount is a couple stories taller.

Even though we got a sneak peak of this project, it is still exciting to read about in the newspaper.

I think it is fine if it is stylistically similar to urban projects around the state or country, as that means it is part of a design movement, in a way. Furman's style in becoming so dominant in uptown charlotte, i think it creates a style for Charlotte, even in the context of some similar designs outside of charlotte.

It seems like charlotte's 1.5 sq mile uptown mix is 25% 4-8 story buildings, 25% 2-3 story townhomes/houses/institutional, 10% highrise, 40% vacant/park/parking/cemetary. (these aren't verified numbers... i'd be interested to get the actuals on that). Anyway, i think if half the vacant/parking areas convert 4-8 story buildings, charlotte's downtown will be significantly different and better. I highly doubt there would be more than 15% or 20% highrise until later in the century.

I think it is actually a big deal that a 5 story building would be planned in an area that is otherwise single family and townhouses, as it doubles or triples the density there. These types of infill developments will go a long way to getting uptown to the target 20/25k residents.

1500 proposed/underconstruction units is a huge boost to uptown.

Actually, dubone, this was designed by Narmour Wright.......which I think brilliantly demonstrates your point.....I had assumed this was Furman until I read in the article otherwise. The style that he essentially has refined for the Charlotte market is becoming used by lots of developers now and creates an "style for Charlotte". As long as the projects that use this design are quality projects, this may allow Charlotte to have an architectual identity that people can recognize a low-midrise building and say "that looks like Charlotte" Places such as Seattle, Boston, Balitmore, New York, San Francisco already have that, and I think that would be a great benefit as we try to develop an identity......

Archived