615 East Morehead in Dilworth, Charlotte

Southend

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This could make the drive along 277 incredibly dramatic.

exactly. it will be very visible from the 277 loop and will really provide a dynamic with the possibilities of the john portman addition to the westin (10 story office building), the possible park tower (22 stories).

Southend, the Park tower has announced they are back in business again.

awesome news monsoon!

OK- i got more details on the south end tower. Its a mixed use tower, has a attached base to the tower that stands 3-4 stories tall with verandas encircling the 2nd floor. glass ground level, most likely for restaurants/retail, lots of columns and lots of arches on the 2nd floor.

attached to that is what appears to be a 22 story tower with a small spire, glass in the middle and an indented trapezoid shape as the structure. from the ground floor to the 11-12th floor are 2 towers that extend from the structure with glass on the top 2 floors of it, coming out of the base on the SE & NW corners of the tower. The tower is pretty unique, but the color is almost a sand-brown color. The tower will be more situtated towards 277, while the attached base will be facing morehead.

It sounds incredible, but I have to admit the complexity is making it a little hard for me to picture in my head. Smart move though to orient the base toward morehead and the tower toward 277. That move could keep NIMBYs at bay. This tower sounds taller than I was honestly expecting. I was bracing for 20 floors total and a rather bland brick structure. This is really starting to sound exciting.

waiting for info on this 615 E morehead thing is KILLING me. Any idea for dates or anything, I check this forum every stinking day thinking "today there will be a rendering" I've been waiting on this sucker since November and State Street doesn't even have a website (to my knowledge). Just wanted to vent a little, it's hard knowing something's there but not really knowing what's there.

waiting for info on this 615 E morehead thing is KILLING me. Any idea for dates or anything, I check this forum every stinking day thinking "today there will be a rendering" I've been waiting on this sucker since November and State Street doesn't even have a website (to my knowledge). Just wanted to vent a little, it's hard knowing something's there but not really knowing what's there.

i can't guarantee you on anything app, but i'll reiterate it is a prelim design (although the prelim is 100% complete) and its being pitched to the developer. once the developer okays it, you'll here about it. but, the twist is that from what i've heard, the developer's kinda nutty.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you heard anything yet. I know someone was talking about a mud rule so I went looking around Char-Meck's website looking at zoning rules. I'm not a zoning expert but it does look as if SouthEnd has a maximum height of 120 feet depending on how far back from single family homes the building will be. The closer you get the shorter the building. So I do wonder if that will stop anything tall from going in on Morehead. :( If anyone can find anything more substantial concerning height restrictions in South End Please do. I got the 120ft. restriction from the South End Pedscape plan. I suppose a developer could get special permission but a rule like that could greatly empower NIMBY's.

• 3 months later...

Okay, I drove past the 615 E Morehead site today and there is a big sign up that says "the best views are still to come" and at the bottom lists the website www.615Emorehead.com. I was thinking that the high-rise news was released but when I came home to view the website I can't find it. Maybe I have the wrong web address or maybe this is all new and the site isn't up yet. Either way somthing is happening with this project soon. Have any of you heard anything?

Found this in the business journal and the clip is right, there isn't much information to be gotten from the website. I guess we may just have to wait three weeks for this news to come out. Although the business journal is still saying low-rise I still think high-rise could be a good option on the tract but we'll just wait and see.

This from the business journal:

The big orange banner promises so much -- "The best views are yet to come." The sign went up this week at what is expected to be a multimillion-dollar development at the former Red Carpet Inn site.

Dubbed 615 East Morehead, the long-awaited project will be a mid-rise residential condominium building, though the number of units has been a work in progress.

Charlotte-based State Street Cos. bought the former public housing property in May 2002 for $1.9 million.

It has since revised its plans several times but will make a formal announcement in about three weeks, says Jeff Kentner, State Street president.

Until then, he's fending off inquiries from the press seeking details. A Web address on the banner, 615eastmorehead.com, yields few clues, promising only to provide more information once brochures are available.

I just do not understandwhy they would primarily advertize their view, (which is really breath-taking when you are driving westbound on Morehead), but then show a drawing of a view that is no where near as awesome as the real view, not to mention from the wrong direction. No biggie, just curious. :wacko:

I'm looking forward to hearing all the details on these projects!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

State Street Cos. now has a website and some information can be found about the

615 East Morehead project. There is only a paragraph or so about it and it is listed under conceptual design phase. These quotes below are clips from the paragraph. If anyone wants to read the entire paragraph on the project they can go to www.statestreetco.com/dev.html

The base of the building will consist of a street level restaurant topped with four to five levels of office, with structured parking within that core.

The residential tower will step back from the street facade creating the Morehead Street terrace at the residential amenities level.

The next fifteen to twenty levels of the residential tower will consist of units ranging in size from 1,200 to in excess of 3,000 square feet. Terraces for the units will face uptown, Dilworth, or both.

If this project ever gets off the ground it sounds like it will be a pretty tall one for SouthEnd. Given this project's history though I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...

Archived