Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Makaveli123

the weather in San Diego

18 posts in this topic

Hello. I'm from germany but I plan on going to the U.S. and well Id like to go to a beautiful and big city, where the weather is really good at a time when it's bad in germany (which means not in the summer). If I go to S.D. in let's say october for example is the weather usually still hot enough to get a sunburn :D ..or well to just chill at the beach or a public swimming pool? Ppl say often that in SD or LA u have beach weather all year around, but from what Ive read up so far this isnt right at all. Maybe the weather feels warmer in san diego because most of the time the sun is shining without any clouds in the sky..but at temperatures of around 70 we wouldnt consider going to the swimming pool in germany..so during which months can i expect to go there and have beach weather (if nothing overly strange happens). Besides...do u still have hot temperatures in the East of San Diego when the temperatures start declining in the coastal areas? (like in november for example) How much hotter is it in the east of s.d. during the summer?(I know in the winter it has to get colder there)

Oh and two more questions: 1. Is swimming pool the right word or do u call that swimming bath or public bath or something?! 2. Do you have good ones in S.D.? Cause I heard the water of the pacific was kinda cold pretty much all the time..

Thx

One more thing: I just found out, that the inland temperature is a lot warmer than that at the coast (even in winter a little hotter,though it gets colder at night). Eastern parts of San Diego like El Cajon or Escondido for example seem to offer temperatures that make outdoor swimming pleasurable, almost all year around (except december-february or so)..and El Cajon is not even far from downtown...So Im wondering now, whether there are (like I asked before) good public swimming pools particulary in the inland..maybe there are even manmade lagoons with beaches like in brisbane for example?

Hello Makaveil! we'd love to have you here, but you'll have to wait for the really hot temps, but the temperature still is suitable compared to Iowa's temps.

Hi Makaveli, Its swimming pool here. I am sure there are plenty of them in S. Diego.

OMG. I just googled for swimming pools in San Diego and they increased the fee from 2 dollars per swim to 5 dollars per swim (and a monthly pass from 35 to 95$)! I dont get that. You guys have a weather over there which allows outdoor swimming almost all year around, but the water in the ocean is too cold and the public swimming pools cost a crapload of money that nobody can afford lol. Where do you guys go if u wanna go swimming?

Hi Makaveli,  Its swimming pool here.    I am sure there are plenty of them in S. Diego.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't really know about any pools in San Diego, but as far as beach weather -- yeah, I agree -- it's year-round beach weather, as long as you wear a sweatshirt and light jacket, jeans, and never enter the water. :) To me, beach weather is 80s and 90s -- which is rarely, if ever, seen along the San Diego coastline.

Some of the L.A./Orange County beaches seem a bit warmer -- particularly ones facing south such as Huntington Beach.

the Atlantic is more where you want to go if you want to be on a warmer beach. your not really going to find warm swimming beaches on the west coast of the US.

Hawaii is the place for that in the Pacific (if you want to be on US soil).

go to the beached by carlsbad and there dont go swimming at SD because thats all Seaport water

My vote, if anyone cares :) , is to avoid southern California in October of you want good "beach weather."

Instead, go to southern Florida or Hawaii. Key West is always pretty good. But of course, you may run into a hurricane or two! Or go to Miami. Bigger city than San Diego, warmer waters and sunny beaches.

And the person who mentioned Hawaii is right on. But go to the Big Island where there aren't many tourists and you can really get a taste of "Old Hawaii." Kona town has an average annual temperature of about 85 degrees F. or about 30 degrees C. Even in October. And it's almost always sunny.

Or maybe even Sitges, off the coast near Barcelona, would be better still.

Agreed. SoCal gets nasty around October, that's when that fog rolls in, which doesn't usually burn off until 4pm.

I prefer Western Florida, especially around Pensacola. Far fewer crowds, generally nice people and beautiful, white beaches.

If you do move to San Diego (which is a beautiful and very walkable urban city), you will probably live in an apartment or condo complex and they all have pools. Most of the homes have pools as well. Most of the pools will be heated in the winter months, so swimming all year long probably won't be an issue.

I live in an apartment complex in Costa Mesa (with three pools) which is about an hour up the coast from SD. We have very similar weather and I swim all year.

Have fun

p.s. Florida is very hot and humid in the summer (muggy) (no offence Colin, but I don't know how you stand it.)

B)

My vote, if anyone cares  :) , is to avoid southern California in October of you want good "beach weather."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You guys have it all wrong. October is the sunniest month here. The hottest temps of the year usually take place in October, and with them, come the dreaded wildfires. The problem is that by this time, the water temps have already began to cool.

The water temps during this time of the year is around 70 degrees, which is cold by Florida standards, but are warm for here.

I would have thought that SD and LA have perfect beach weather almost all year long --and this is from someone who went to College 30 min. from Daytona, Ormond and Cocoa beaches in Florida. :)

^^The beach is always there, but it's hardly beach weather year-round. During winter, lows dip into the 40's and not only that, but the water temps take a dive, too. The warmest water temps are during the summer when they hover around 70-73 degrees, while the rest of the year it's between 58 - 65 degrees. Florida waters are much warmer than here.

Was cold.... what about those freezes in southern CA these past two days? Anyone sustain plant damage?

I was in SD this weekend, stayed Downtown, and it was pretty cold, especially for San Diego standards. People were complaining about it quite a bit. The humidity just made it feel especially cold.

Not nearly as bad as Tucson though. Got down to 20 on Sunday night (9 in Douglas, 2 in Show Low) which beat the record by 9 degrees. Pipes froze and busted, including one going to an Alltel switch that actually ended up disrupting cell service today.

I just spend the weekend in San Diego (June1st-4th). It's a beautiful city and I thought it was a bit cold at night, especially for June. I think it's great weather if you want to go for a walk, run, or play in the park. I wouldn't go swimming though. A bit too cold for this Floridian's blood.