Downtown Flint in 2010

Pachuco

My view of downtown is very optimistic so don't roll your eyes on this. I see a demolished Gen. towers replaced with many new urban-style buildings,many new restaurants,crowded strrets, a nice revitalized river front, and alot of galleries and a museum.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's not too far-fetched. Besides replacing Genesee Towers and possibly revitalizing the riverfront (depending on how much they do), the rest wouldn't be hard to get done in 5 years.

The GFAC, Buckham Gallery, and Left Bank Gallery weren't downtown 5 years ago as far as I know, so I can definitely see more coming. And it seems like bars and restaurants are planned to be the "theme" of downtown. There are still plans for a museum inside the old fire station on ML King Ave., so that's covered as well.

I wonder if the city can stay in the black, how much more are they willing to invest downtown and the riverfront in particular. There could even be some federal money available. It would be great to see a lot of foot traffic and activity by the river.

I agree with Dnast. It is possible to get the majority of those projects done in only five years. Once momentum builds, things happen very quickly. One only has to look at midtown Detroit to see that...five years ago nobody would've imagined the huge boom that is occuring there now.

It's like the overused line from Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come." It's opening the flood gates; it'll start as a tiny trickle at first, and then it'll really get flowing.

There are all the projects going on Saginaw Street right now, plus the dorms are going to be built soon for U of M; we're definitely going to see a different Flint in 2010. And who knows what other projects are still to come.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like to see Flint replace the Genesee Tower with a nice mixed-use high rise that's slightly taller than the Mott Foundation building. Have it done in a color that would contrast nicely with Mott. That replacement could serve as store fronts, condos, and offices possibly.

I don't want to see Flint engage in NIMBY-ism. I would like to see the industries that are left preserved as much as possible. Flint can be a college town, but it can also be an industrial center and transportation hub with a nice diversified economy. If they can do for downtown what they did for Bishop, I'm sure Flint's population can once again increase back to 160k if not more. From someone who was born in Flint: Yes, I would like to see it get like Minneapolis. In fact, I would like to see Flint with a SKYLINE like that of Minneapolis, and a POPULATION the size of Minnapolis. Wouldn't that be fun?

MrCoffee

As long as we had its skyline, I wouldn't care about not having Minneapolis' population ;)

I like the idea of the mixed-use building. What kind of style are you talking about that would contrast with the Mott? Sounds interesting. I know downtown's office market is very weak, but I wonder if a shiny new 10-20 story building would attract a lot more tenants than our older buildings currently do.

As long as we had its skyline, I wouldn't care about not having Minneapolis' population ;)

I like the idea of the mixed-use building. What kind of style are you talking about that would contrast with the Mott? Sounds interesting. I know downtown's office market is very weak, but I wonder if a shiny new 10-20 story building would attract a lot more tenants than our older buildings currently do.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think, as VeeFan said, a nice glass facade would do nicely. I think either a cobalt blue, or perhaps a nice deep emeral would be good. Both would look nice with the goldish color of Mott. I think 20 stories would be the right size, too.

MrCoffee

Archived