Introduce yourself

mistermetaj

I'm 24. I was born and raised in Norfolk. I lived in Richmond for 3 years while a student at VCU. (I didn't care for the city, but the skyline is just awesome) I've been into skyscrapers since I was like 10 and at 15 I became interested in urban infrastructure. I'll be taking a few courses at TCC starting this summer. I'll be going into the CADD program because I've always wanted to design buildings. A few years ago, I was considering moving to a city with some serious development going on, but with all that has been happening in Hampton Roads in the past 3 years and what is going to happen in the years to come, I've decided to stay just a little bit longer before I move to a warmer climate.

Alright... I'm an undergrad at George Mason University and majoring in Government and International Relations with a focus in Public Administration. I'm also going to minor in Metropolitan Studies. I'm born and raised in good ole Richmond VA (technically chesterfield county but still). I've been really interested in economic development in the area, solutions to sprawl, and the city's incredibly rich architectural stock. and yes, I've worked at Ukrop's :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So you've worked at Ukrops, now its all starting to make sense :lol: . How old are you wrldcoupe?

So you've worked at Ukrops, now its all starting to make sense :lol: . How old are you wrldcoupe?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haha I just know that they are good from the outside and from within. I'm 20. Keeping up on all the econ dev. and other stuff is a great way for me to procrastinate when I have a paper due or an exam to study for :)

Hi My Name is Joseph and Id like to introduce myself. I have loved and followed downtown Norfolk's development w/ a passion since I was 15 when I was invited by then mayor Leafe of Norfolk to the dedication and ribbon cutting of Dominion Tower. I remember getting a personal tour of the Norfolk Southern Tower by the architect while under construction as he took time to walk me through the entire stee structure! I was there also to help shovel dirt at the groundbreaking for the Waterside Marriot and Norfolk Conference Center. This said just to let you know my roots in Love for Norfolk are deep.

I have done traffic high up in the airplane for local radio stations back in college on then WTAR 790 news, where my name was Joe Wheeler. This job primarily evolved from my interest in mass transit and the commuting patterns of the area. I have taken many aerial photos of the area that I will post shortly I am sure..:-)

I have worked for several downtown research and real estate companies including the Wright Comnpany on granby Street & for CBRE on main street, and YES I am constantly seeking my many contacts out for NEW info!!

I am currently in the business of Adult Entertainment..LOL which gives me tons of time to peruse this site! Please feel free to Message me anytime

Joe

Keeping up on all the econ dev. and other stuff is a great way for me to procrastinate when I have a paper due or an exam to study for :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, it's a great way to keep me up all night too. My boss today was like "why have you been so tired lately?" :lol: .

I'm 24. I was born and raised in Norfolk.  I lived in Richmond for 3 years while a student at VCU. (I didn't care for the city, but the skyline is just awesome)  I've been into skyscrapers since I was like 10 and at 15 I became interested in urban infrastructure.  I'll be taking a few courses at TCC starting this summer.  I'll be going into the CADD program because I've always wanted to design buildings.  A few years ago, I was considering moving to a city with some serious development going on, but with all that has been happening in Hampton Roads in the past 3 years and what is going to happen in the years to come, I've decided to stay just a little bit longer before I move to a warmer climate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dude you need to stay here!!!

Hi My Name is Joseph and Id like to introduce myself.  I have loved and followed downtown Norfolk's development w/ a passion since I was 15 when I was invited by then mayor Leafe of Norfolk to the dedication and ribbon cutting of Dominion Tower. I remember getting a personal tour of the Norfolk Southern Tower by the architect while under construction as he took time to walk me through the entire stee structure! I was there also to help shovel dirt at the groundbreaking for the Waterside Marriot and Norfolk Conference Center.  This said just to let you know my roots in Love for Norfolk are deep.

I have done traffic high up in the airplane for local radio stations back in college on then WTAR 790 news, where my name was Joe Wheeler.  This job primarily evolved from my interest in mass transit and the commuting patterns of the area.  I have taken many aerial photos of the area that I will post shortly I am sure..:-)

I have worked for several downtown research and real estate companies including the Wright Comnpany on granby Street & for CBRE on main street, and YES I am constantly seeking my many contacts out for NEW info!!

I am currently in the business of Adult Entertainment..LOL which gives me tons of time to peruse this site!  Please feel free to Message me anytime

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He speaks ! :o Welcome to the forum Joe :) , you seem to be a jack of all trades. I think i've heard you on the radio in the past. I look forward to seeing those aerial photos of yours.

I see the making of wonderful photo thread. It will bring a new meaning to the term "high-rise". :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please no :lol: . I have a hard enough time keeping up with this forum without having to go around and delete certain....um....photos. :D

Please no  :lol: . I have a hard enough time keeping up with this forum without having to go around and delete certain....um....photos. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I became interested in downtown Norfolk when I was a student at TCC when they held classes in the old SMA building back in 1993. I remember talking to fellow students that downtown Norfolk would be special! I worked inside the Monticello Arcade in the continuing education office for TCC while attending classes. I had the chance to work with and meet many prominent members of our region including major Fraim. I knew then that I was hooked on developmental issues when I talked to him and his passion for the city rubbed off on me I guess. Anyways, I went on to graduate from ODU in 96 and work now for the Coast Guard after a few years of non profit work. I am very happy to see that my passion for Hampton Roads is shared with so many other great people such as yourselves.

Hey Lammius, we need to get another topic going on pilotonline just rile up the NIMBY crowd!

I grew up here and I always wanted this area to something great. I always dreamed about this area being a really great city one day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Russ, Norfolk will become great and cities like Charlotte will have nothing on us by the year 2020! We have so much potential as a city but I am really excited about the potential merger with Portsmouth in the future. I think that it's not a question of if but rather of when the two cities will become one.

you really think it will happen. lot of power will be lost i don't know, but i hope you are right. they have been talking about this stuff for a while now with the cities joining and with studies and nothing ever came from it. Lets hope for the best

Edited by rusthebuss

you really think it will happen. lot of power will be lost i don't know, but i hope you are right. they have been talking about this stuff for a while now with the cities joining and with studies and nothing ever came from it. Lets hope for the best

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just look at what happen with Louisville, Kentucky and have faith my friend! :)

Congrats on working on your masters. Are you planning on coming back to the area or you planning on staying away?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In typical Hampton Roads brain drain fashion I'm not planning on returning to that area. Though I'm not sure where my career will take me (hopefully not anywhere in the Sunbelt) I hope to stay in the New York metro region or elsewhere between Philadelphia and Boston.

How come?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are lots of urban amenities, institutions, etc. that those cities have and Norfolk does not. I'm a transit village planner. I'd have no work in Hampton Roads. I suppose that's why I keep rooting for Norfolk to improve itself so much. If it were to become a "major city" in the future I might reoonsider.

I'm 26, a pisces and like long walks on the beach... well, not really. Anyways, yeah, I'm 26 (and a pisces). I'm originally from Brooklyn, NYC. I resided there until I was 11. We then moved to Philadelphia where I lived there till 1997 when I moved away to the Pittsburgh area. I spent 3 1/2 miserable years in Pittsburgh and then I moved back to Philadelphia. I married a Richmonder in 2003, she moved up to Philly and we have recently moved to Richmond end of last year.

I'm a licensed account manager for a small commercial insurance agency. I'm also owner of Buildrichmond.com where we aim to discuss what's going on in Richmond (politically, musically, etc. etc.). :thumbsup:

I'm 26, a pisces and like long walks on the beach... well, not really. Anyways, yeah, I'm 26 (and a pisces). I'm originally from Brooklyn, NYC. I resided there until I was 11. We then moved to Philadelphia where I lived there till 1997 when I moved away to the Pittsburgh area. I spent 3 1/2 miserable years in Pittsburgh and then I moved back to Philadelphia. I married a Richmonder in 2003, she moved up to Philly and we have recently moved to Richmond end of last year.

I'm a licensed account manager for a small commercial insurance agency. I'm also owner of Buildrichmond.com where we aim to discuss what's going on in Richmond (politically, musically, etc. etc.).  :thumbsup:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the board IMPAQ. Our contingent of Richmonders is small but growing so it's good to have another one of you here :thumbsup: .

I'm originally from NYC as well. Currently I live in Boston - getting a Master's degree here - but I'm looking to move elsewhere (Boston's just too expensive and lots of folks there seem to have a real chip on their shoulders about NY). I've read some interesting things (mostly positive) about Richmond and I am thinking about checking it out. I'm interested in Norfolk as well. It looks like there is a lot going on in both of these areas. I'm very impressed by what I've seen posted here. Both cities have a lot of potential and I would love to come see them both.