Introduce yourself

mistermetaj

I can only imagine how bad a Boston winter must be. I will say that Richmond (Norfolk as well) has a pretty good climate. You get all 4 seasons (winters tend to be mild, summers are a little hot and humid but thats the south for you). Keep in mind the 2 hrs from the beach, mountains, and DC thing too. It's definitely a plus. Have you ever been to Richmond? It couldn't hurt to take a weekend just to check it out. Once you get over the yalls and the occasional being called a Yankee, it ain't so bad :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I've heard Virginia does have milder (better) winters than Massachusetts and New York. Personally after two brutal winters in Boston (2004-2005) and one in New York City (2003), I've had enough of blizzards and brutal cold.

As for being called a Yankee - I don't think that's so bad. In Boston, I've been called a Yankee-fan in a derisive way just for telling someone I'm from NYC (even though I don't root for the Yankees).

Norfolk has alot of other things going on besides the military and shipping. There is alot of other industries here. What you have to realize is your just talking about Norfolk compared to Richmond, look at the whole picture with VaBeach building a downtown, Newport News expanding its work base, there is a whole lot of things going on down here. The Richmonders are very snoddy and that is why I left and see the same attitude here that i seen while I was living there. Here in the Norfolk area they won't call you a yankee because half of the people that live here now are from the north. With our downtowns expanding and the exploding of population way beyond Richmonds there is all kinds of work here. Medical is a big busniess here as well with expansion of the heart center in Norfolk General, which has one of the best survival rates for heart transplants in the country. EVMS with all of their medical patents and the research and development. EVMS was the first to have a test tube baby successfully. Don't be blinded by the military  presence and the big shipping terminals.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well Rus, I will take your word for it. Before I posted in the Virginia forum, I followed the development proposals on the Norfolk/Hampton Roads. It's defintely encouraging to hear about the new developments in Norfolk. The new Trader and Granby Towers are good starts and I know there's a lot more planned. I would like to come down and check it out.

Coming from the heat of Norfolk weighing in at 225 lbs Carlos Locos and I am the people's champ!

height:  :huh:

current location: ???

hobbies: a few of my favorite things!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol, welcome to the forum Locos.

• 2 months later...

I am from Southwest VA.  I went to Tech then off to DC, VA Beach and now Charlotte.  I do miss VA and hope to someday move back.  Maybe it is time to give Richmond a shot?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum hokiehigh :) .

I LOVE Montreal.  I visited a couple of summers ago and had the time of my life.  I do imagine the winters are dreadful.  Perhaps that's why people were partying so hard the summer I was there  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The theory goes 12 months of events packed into 12 weeks, and the biggest partying of all is this coming weekend, when the Formula One race comes to town. The entire downtown seems to shut down (some parts literally do, even though the race is not in downtown), and everyone gets into the event. Where I live you can hear the F1 cars screaming by on the circuit. An awesome sound indeed.

Edited by Glassoul

I'm 25. I've lived here my whole life but have much of my family up north. Music has taken me to so many place I wouldn't have gone otherwise. I am a elementary music teach, teach drums and piano (mostly) privately, a columnist for DRUM! Magazine, Co-own a music transcribing company in which I transcribe drum and percussion parts for books which have been published by WB, Hal Leonard and other music publishers, and am a performing drummer/percussion. A proud graduate from ODU...where I watched A LOT of development go up my last couple years there. I also am a hobbiest mech/hot rodder...on my own car... and just have a general interest in construction/urban develoment/high rises.

I usually read here more than I post cause I don't have much knowledge on the subject, just love "watchin' 'em rise" so to speak.

Later,

Metalman

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I've been posting away, might as well introduce myself.

I'm 28. Was a Navy brat, so I grew up in Va Beach mostly, when not moving between Annapolis, Chicago, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc. But always ended up in VaBeach in between those places. Graduated from VT in '99 with a Computer Science degree, and have been living up in NoVA since. Still get back down to the Beach to visit the folks several times a year though. I think being from Hampton Roads simply breeds some kinda fascination with this sorta stuff. Something in the air... or the newspapar at least.

Now I'm working for a lil consulting firm in MD, and the client I take care of is the Taubman Company. So yes, that means I maintain MacArthur Center's website, :thumbsup: , along with a bunch of their other malls.

Ok, I've been posting away, might as well introduce myself.

I'm 28.  Was a Navy brat, so I grew up in Va Beach mostly, when not moving between Annapolis, Chicago, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc.  But always ended up in VaBeach in between those places.  Graduated from VT in '99 with a Computer Science degree, and have been living up in NoVA since.  Still get back down to the Beach to visit the folks several times a year though.  I think being from Hampton Roads simply breeds some kinda fascination with this sorta stuff.  Something in the air... or the newspapar at least.

Now I'm working for a lil consulting firm in MD, and the client I take care of is the Taubman Company.  So yes, that means I maintain MacArthur Center's website,  :thumbsup: , along with a bunch of their other malls.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow...cool story! welcome!! I like Taubman malls....they are spectacular!! I really like our own MacArthur Mall, but I also like the Somerset Collection in Michigan. Just amazing. Its good to have you here, sugoiben. You can let us know when we are getting any new MacArthur stores or a third anchor :P (please be Macy's)! lol.

That still doesn't bring a Macy's to MacArthur. What about Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdale's? I haven't been to either, but the only thing I know about them is that they are kind of up-class. Would they be good for MacArthur?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neiman Marcus... :wacko:

That store is crazy expensive, I'm afraid to touch anything in there.

Doubt we'll see that in MacArthur.

Bloomingdales however, I think would be a good fit.