Introduce yourself

mistermetaj

I wonder if I'm the youngest one on here. I can remember for the longest time being obsessed with skyscrapers, and Norfolk was my first downtown that I saw. I always wanted to talk to people about Norfolk, but no one that I knew cared. Thats why I love these forums!!! :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, so I'm only like 23987423974923874 years late on this one hahaha, but I never really looked on this thread---I too am 16 (17 in September) and dear Lordy I thought I was the only one who cared in this universe under the age of 20 lol. Student at TABB GO TIGERS... not really we suck. Class of 06 baby! :silly:

hey whats up! im new to the forum ... registered just yesterday. im in my mid thirties, work for a large telecom corp and live in great bridge. i was born and raised here but my life took me all across the country during my twenties until the need to be near family finally brought me back home. i have a love hate relationship for this area. i love it for being my hometown and for all of the amenities and quality of life that the area offers. i hate it for the seeming lack of opportunity to trully be successful here. i have a passion for architecture, urban design and transit planning. since i was a child, ive designed endless urban renewal schemes for all areas of this region, norfolk in particular. as long as i can remember it has been my dream to remake this area into a truly world-class city. a dream that remains elusive yet i cannot overstate how honestly impressed i am by what this region manages to accomplish with the admittedly meager means at its disposal. having found this forum, i have to share with you all how PROUD it makes me and how happy i am to have found that i am not alone in feeling the ways that we all feel for this region.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 25 just joined the forum.  Born and raised in VA Beach.  I have a bachelors and a masters degree in Urban Planning and am glad to see a forum on  planning/development in the hampton roads area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum. Good to have an urban planner in here. Should make for some interesting discussions. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

hey..i've been following the forums here for the past couple months, but just recently decided to actually join. i'm 20 years old and am going for my architecture degree at vatech...i currently work for a small architecture firm in vabeach...my job description is basically "cadd monkey" but it's been good experience...they specialize in libraries, and there are quite a few interesting projects in the works right now...this is the same firm that did the central library in vabeach, along with others.

anyway, i look very forward to the continued growth of this region...it's definitely about time.

hey..i've been following the forums here for the past couple months, but just recently decided to actually join.  i'm 20 years old and am going for my architecture degree at vatech...i currently work for a small architecture firm in vabeach...my job description is basically "cadd monkey" but it's been good experience...they specialize in libraries, and there are quite a few interesting projects in the works right now...this is the same firm that did the central library in vabeach, along with others. 

anyway, i look very forward to the continued growth of this region...it's definitely about time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome! Do you plan on staying in HR?

hey..i've been following the forums here for the past couple months, but just recently decided to actually join.  i'm 20 years old and am going for my architecture degree at vatech...i currently work for a small architecture firm in vabeach...my job description is basically "cadd monkey" but it's been good experience...they specialize in libraries, and there are quite a few interesting projects in the works right now...this is the same firm that did the central library in vabeach, along with others. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I cant believe that i never filled this out!

im 25 -  born in Depaul hospital(Norfolk), lived in south norfolk till 1st grade, then moved to Great Bridge(chesapeake). grew up in Great Bridge went to ODU, lived at ODU, now, i live(rent) in ghent.

I work for State Farm as an Sales associate.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow! I was born at Depaul too! :thumbsup: although it was five years before you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I now live in NC, but I was born in Virginia. I am from a small town called Grundy. It is making big news as part of a massive flood control project in which the town will literally be moved, the old one mostly demolished, and a massive flood wall built to protect it. It should be discussed here, as it has made worldwide news. Engineers from Russia, Japan, and Germany have come to study it and witness this engineering marvel take place. I love VA and will return home someday.

Chris

Hello all,

I now live in NC, but I was born in Virginia. I am from a small town called Grundy. It is making big news as part of a massive flood control project in which the town will literally be moved, the old one mostly demolished, and a massive flood wall built to protect it.  It should be discussed here, as it has made worldwide news. Engineers from Russia, Japan, and Germany have come to study it and witness this engineering marvel take place.  I love VA and will return home someday.

Chris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

cool! Welcome and glad that you will come back one day what section of the state are you from, southwestern?

Yes, Grundy is in the southwest part of the state. It is Buchanan County, which borders Kentucky and West Virginia. It is a very economically depressed region, which seems to be making a comeback in a big way with the flood control and new law school, pharmacy school and university locating there. I was actually born in Tazewell County, but my home was Buchanan, and I lived there until 1999 when I moved to NC.

Yes, Grundy is in the southwest part of the state. It is Buchanan County, which borders Kentucky and West Virginia. It is a very economically depressed region, which seems to be making a comeback in a big way with the flood control and new law school, pharmacy school and university locating there. I was actually born in Tazewell County, but my home was Buchanan, and I lived there until 1999 when I moved to NC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well hope you return to the state soon! Red Onion federal prison is there in Tazwell isn't it?

I'm not sure about Red Onion prison's location, but I've heard of it.

As for Grundy being in a bend in a river, yes. The Levisa River flows by Grundy and caused catastrophic damage in a big flood in 1977. the water rose into all the buildings in the business district, and many were damaged beyond repair. The section of mountain across the river was blasted away and removed and a flat plain created in its place. The new town will soon be under construction. I don't think they have begun it yet. It is considered a modern wonder of engineering and has made international news. As for the murder, yes there was. The Appalachian School of Law had just opened and a mentally ill student from Nigeria shot the Dean and several students. It was covered by CNN. That little town (pop. 1,100) is making BIG news! Recently a new pharmacy school opened, along with plans for a University of Appalachia. Not bad for a town in the coalfields written off for dead.

I am not a newbie to UB but I loved 757 so much that finally I had to cruise over to your forum just to keep up with the happenings. I left Hampton in 2000. I wish I didn't though. I am in the air force so my job needed me elsewhere. I have a lot of friends still in Hampton and Newport News so I think I can add a little insight on this forum. Like I said I loved the area when I was there and even though I live in Vegas and my heart is NC I will always have fond memories of Hampton Roads.

I am not a newbie to UB but I loved 757 so much that finally I had to cruise over to your forum just to keep up with the happenings. I left Hampton in 2000. I wish I didn't though. I am in the air force so my job needed me elsewhere. I have a lot of friends still in Hampton and Newport News so I think I can add a little insight on this forum. Like I said I loved the area when I was there and even though I live in Vegas and my heart is NC I will always have fond memories of Hampton Roads.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well welcome to the Virginia forums. Come back and visit anytime. :) It's always good getting the perspectives from people who have once lived in this area but moved away.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, I kinda got sidetracked and wasn't able to visit here much the last month or so and also fell way behind in the photos I had planned on taking to post here. Hopefully I can spend some more time on all that now plus posting the older Richmond photos I have. Stay tuned and feel free to nag the hell out of me. Sometimes that's the only way I get things done.

Hey all, I kinda got sidetracked and wasn't able to visit here much the last month or so and also fell way behind in the photos I had planned on taking to post here. Hopefully I can spend some more time on all that now plus posting the older Richmond photos I have. Stay tuned and feel free to nag the hell out of me. Sometimes that's the only way I get things done.

Hey, rush along with the photos, ok? lol :whistling:

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow forumers,

Very interesting reading some of the posts in here! I am originally from Virginia Beach but currently reside in Washington, DC. Even though I grew up in Virginia Beach I was born in Norfolk and have a deep love of this city. When I left the Hampton Roads Area in 1984, it almost broke my heart. I tried for many months to land a job in HR in my field, but I was unsuccessful. The lure of plentiful jobs in NoVA and Washington was too much for me to resist. I moved to the DC area in 1984 and have lived here ever since.

As I said before I am absolutely obsessed with Norfolk and love reading about all of the new developments that are sprouting up in Downtown and Ocean View. My partner constantly rolls his eyes when he catches me on the computer reading the Va. Pilot, Norfolk's city webpage or UP Norfolk forums. Whenever an artist from HR is played on the radio I always point out that such and such is from Portsmouth (Missy Elliot) or from Norfolk (Gary U.S. Bonds, Gene Vincent etc.). Well UP has offered me an outlet to discuss Norfolk and HR developments!

Edited by skylinefan