Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

Thats gonna wind up being one expensive 12 story builidng  :o . Hope they get all their money out of that deal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

These New York developers coming out here to pull off these petty projects are invincible! I'm sure they're concerned but they don't stand to lose much.

But let me offer a quick overview of New Brunswick, NJ (not that it's relevant but it's an interesting situation)

City population: 49,000

Part of New York CMSA

Present tallest building: a 16-story apartment building, several 14 and 12 story buildings too.

Under Construction:

the 12 story condo mentioned before

a 12 story dorm

a 26-story condo

Proposed

A 32 story office building by the train station

a 30 story office building by the train station

A lot of activity for such a small city!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These New York developers coming out here to pull off these petty projects are invincible!  I'm sure they're concerned but they don't stand to lose much.

But let me offer a quick overview of New Brunswick, NJ (not that it's relevant but it's an interesting situation)

City population: 49,000

Part of New York CMSA

Present tallest building: a 16-story apartment building, several 14 and 12 story buildings too.

Under Construction:

the 12 story condo mentioned before

a 12 story dorm

a 26-story condo

Proposed

A 32 story office building by the train station

a 30 story office building by the train station

A lot of activity for such a small city!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those stats make me want to cry :( . There is no reason it should have taken Norfolk and Va. Beach so long to get their act together if a small town can pull this off. At least were on the right path now, we'll have em beat in no time :D .

On Trader construction... I drove by the site this morning and it looks like equipment for the high-rise crane has arrived. I could be wrong but whatever that long, black, metal thing using alot of space on the plot of land can only connect in one way and that would be vertically.

On Trader construction... I drove by the site this morning and it looks like equipment for the high-rise crane has arrived. I could be wrong but whatever that long, black, metal thing using alot of space on the plot of land can only connect in one way and that would be vertically.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think i saw what you're referring too. The last time i saw a crane like that it was actually used to initially put together the highrise crane at towncenter. I could be wrong though, need to see a picture to be sure.

I think i saw what you're referring too. The last time i saw a crane like that it was actually used to initially put together the highrise crane at towncenter. I could be wrong though, need to see a picture to be sure.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If only I brought my digital camera lol... lets hope it is what we think it is hahaha

If only I brought my digital camera lol... lets hope it is what we think it is hahaha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only misgivings i have though is that it seems kinda early to be putting that together. I mean they just started driving piles 2 weeks ago. I guess they felt they have a lot of catching up to do.

Typically, a truck crane will come in and assemble a motorized crane that is moveable. They ship in section so that the truck crane can put together the moveable crane. Then when the movable crane is put together the tower crane is put together by it. The tower crane is actually bolted into a pile cape in the ground. This crane has its own piles and caps that it bolts to. Probably what you are seing are sections of the moveable crane that are showing up. Typically it takes a week or more for the cranes to be assembled. Usaully the cranes start showing up as the pile caps are being poured. Mainly because after the pile caps are poured there is nowhere else to go but up. If it is a steel building the first columns will be about twenty feet long which takes up a floor and a half. therefore there must be a crane on site to lift these heavy columns. Anyway this is good news if these are crane sections because steel goes up very fast. :silly:

Typically, a truck crane will come in and assemble a motorized crane that is moveable.  They ship in section so that the truck crane can put together the moveable crane.  Then when the movable crane is put together the tower crane is put together by it.  The tower crane is actually bolted into a pile cape in the ground.  This crane has its own piles and caps that it bolts to.  Probably what you are seing are sections of the moveable crane that are showing up.  Typically it takes a week or more for the cranes to be assembled.  Usaully the cranes start showing up as the pile caps are being poured.  Mainly because after the pile caps are poured there is nowhere else to go but up.  If it is a steel building the first columns will be about twenty feet long which takes up a floor and a half.  therefore there must be a crane on site to lift these heavy columns.  Anyway this is good news if these are crane sections because steel goes up very fast. :silly:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow very interesting

A few but small quick updates. That big, black, metal, crane-looking section at the Trader site could be the high-rise crane that I wondered about because it had a crane and two other big machines erecting it and had a pililing tied along the side of it to keep it straight as they raised it. The construction site was in a frenzy with that raising as well as the new delivery of concrete pilings and the pile-driver digging holes.

Site work, demolition, and preparation is officially set to begin by next week at the Harbor Heights location. The parking lot is already set to close at the beginning of next week.

Across the street from the Harbor Heights lot, pile-drivers have arrived at the site and began driving piles into the ground which is a clear sign that focus has shifted from the construction of the Freemason garage to the 388 Boush St. Townhouses and Condos. Those residential units are expected to be 3-5 floors high.

Harbor's Edge is coming along very well. The smaller building which is supposed to be 5-8 floors (can someone let me know exactly how many?) is somewhere between its 3rd and 4th floor and construction on the 17-story building has begun and is in fact on its 2nd floor already.

Earlier today, I was walking around DT Norfolk and heard this loud repetitive sound. I didn't know what it was a first then I realized it was the sweet sound of a pile driver doing its work at the Trader site. So now it seems that constructing has started in earnest.

Great news, hopefully alot of the piles have been driven already. I would like to see the concrete pump trucks out there soon, because once they come its only a matter of a few weeks and you'll see steel going up. We'll finally be able to see the beginnings of the next new highrise in downtown. :D

I won't lie, it's fun to throw around numbers of how high a building is and how many floors it will have, or floorspace, where it will be at, how it's going to look, and etc. It's great to anticipate a construction date or completion date and all that but I just like to get away from the norm real quick and just note how dangerous it is to build these things. I was on my way home from classes today and decided to drive by the Trader site and while waiting for the light to turn green, I think me, everyone in the line cars waiting, and a whole lot of pedestrians witnessed something that we just don't think about when watching a building going up and that is the danger. I dont know who's fault is it or if it was a mechanical error but one of the pile-drivers was driving a pile into the ground and it was not vertically correct and when the driver hit it, it shattered numerous parts of the pile and sent pieces of concrete to the ground and about 5 construction workers below running away from near the base of the pile. To the very least, it was a very scary incident and someone could have definitely been seriously hurt with large, heavy debris falling everywhere. Thankfully no one got hurt in that accident and hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a huge setback in construction. In the end, hopefully construction workers and nearby pedestrians alike can take extra care when in the surrounding area of the Trader site and any major construction site for that matter.

Archived