Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

I think the holdup a week or so ago had to do with the city because I remember the city would be the one responsible for moving I think either a sewer line or utility line and when I was down there around noon, there were some workers below street level in a large dugout on the northwest corner of the property. Lots of progress lately. Can't wait till they raise 21-story high cranes over the property.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You and me both. I wonder what that office building is going to be that was proposed for 35-40 stories by city hall

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been eager to hear mention of that too. We're much more likely to hear of the Hilton than that though.

Who knows? I can say that with international shipping ties now, don't be surprised to see international companies scoping this area out. The Isreali Shipping company has already started a north american Headquarters here in norfolk and while it is not immediately downtown don't be surprised to see other international companies coming to town. It only makes sense to have a headquarters close to where your products are being unloaded.

Man I wish Richmond had international Headquarters come to Richmond that would be great oh well maybe one day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey guys, I would really love to believe that there is talk of a 40 story tower next to the Courtyard Marriott but I have not read nor heard anything to confirm this other than internet rumor. Don't get me wrong, I think that this site is perfect for such a project but can anyone provide more solid details or at least the orginal source of the rumor!

If this project indeed materialize, I hope that it can be something modern and have lights and a illuminated crown to make it a signature tower that when seen, the world knows that it's downtown Norfolk! This is asking alot of developers; nonetheless, we deserve to have something that makes a statement and that's not likely to be duplicated in design or appearance.

Hey guys, I would really love to believe that there is talk of a 40 story tower next to the Courtyard Marriott but I have not read nor heard anything to confirm this other than internet rumor. Don't get me wrong, I think that this site is perfect for such a project but can anyone provide more solid details or at least the orginal source of the rumor!

If this project indeed materialize, I hope that it can be something modern and have lights and a illuminated crown to make it a signature tower that when seen, the world knows that it's downtown Norfolk! This is asking alot of developers; nonetheless, we deserve to have something that makes a statement and that's not likely to be duplicated in design or appearance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a link to the program council update. It's an interview with Mayor Paul Fraim and he goes very in depth into development in Norfolk, including the Hilton :)  http://www.norfolk.gov/tv48/council_update.asp

Simply look under council shows, and where it says guest click on mayor Paul Fraim.

***scroll about 30minutes in***

^^^^I am reposting the above link because towards the very end of the interview mayor fraim says "We may be positioned in the near future for another office building" (appox. 39min and 50 secs into the interview :) ) when asked about progress on the Trader project. Couple this with Tim Polk being quoted as saying "we already have projects coming down the pike that are significantly taller than anything we have downtown" (yes i have memorized that quote :lol: ) and the fact that people i have spoken with involved with planning downtown who also "hinted" but no details and i will tell you that something is definately up. What exactly that is we will only know when it is announced but i feel confident in saying that something is being planned for that property. Keep in mind however, that this project is more in the time frame of the courts complex (i.e. 3-5years) than say Granby towers and the Hilton. Something to look forward to though, and something to keep this forum busy for quite some time :D .

Yeah but we need a couple in the 30-45 range first to keep from overwhelming the surroundings

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Vdogg, I have to check that out! I recently watched the mayor on channel 48 and he hinted on some things but nothing too specific. I have no doubt that there are projects "significantly taller" on the near horizon as I read the same article. I can understand why the city would not want to jeopadize these projects by letting the cat out of the bag before the developers are ready to announce them.

I remember back when we were in the hunt for the Charlotte Hornets before they relocated to New Orleans and it appeared that it down to either us or Louisville, Ky.

A poster from Louisville who was eager to have the team relocate there made a comment about our skyline saying something like"what skyline" and it really hit home that our skyline was/is viewed by the rest of the country as pathetic for our size. I really do like Louisville's skyline which is pretty dog gone impressive; nonetheless, in 8 years, Louisville will only wish that they could compare to Norfolk/Portsmouth when all is said and done. This is just the tip of our iceberg and Louisville, while nice, just can't match the potential of this region. By the way, I believe that they recently annexed land thus there population practically doubled and they are still smaller than South Hampton Roads and let's not even talk about including our neighbors on the Peninsula. :lol:

Thanks Vdogg, I have to check that out! I recently watched the mayor on channel 48 and he hinted on some things but nothing too specific. I have no doubt that there are projects "significantly taller" on the near horizon as I read the same article. I can understand why the city would not want to jeopadize these projects by letting the cat out of the bag before the developers are ready to announce them.

I remember back when we were in the hunt for the Charlotte Hornets before they relocated to New Orleans and it appeared that it down to either us or Louisville, Ky.

A poster from Louisville who was eager to have the team relocate there made a comment about our skyline saying something like"what skyline" and it really hit home that our skyline was/is viewed by the rest of the country as pathetic for our size. I really do like Louisville's skyline which is pretty dog gone impressive; nonetheless, in 8 years, Louisville will only wish that they could compare to Norfolk/Portsmouth when all is said and done. This is just the tip of our iceberg and Louisville, while nice, just can't match the potential of this region. By the way, I believe that they recently annexed land thus there population practically doubled and they are still smaller than South Hampton Roads and let's not even talk about including our neighbors on the Peninsula. :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The military stumps our skyline, Nobody really wants to come here for their company hq. Louisville has alot more companies there than we do that is why their skyline is so much bigger. We don't have the companies to put in the high rises.

The military stumps our skyline, Nobody really wants to come here for their company hq. Louisville has alot more companies there than we do that is why their skyline is so much bigger. We don't have the companies to put in the high rises.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of people not wanting to come here because of the military presence. Rather I believe that since the military serves as a HUGE employer for the area a LARGE proportion of the area's workers work on military bases, whereas many areas our size have a larger proportion of their workers in towers downtown.

It's not that businesses don't wish to locate here because of the military presence but that we had a smaller business community (relative to the population) to begin with.

(TRYING with little avail to make a clear, concise statement)

I don't think it's necessarily a matter of people not wanting to come here because of the military presence.  Rather I believe that since the military serves as a HUGE employer for the area a LARGE proportion of the area's workers work on military bases, whereas many areas our size have a larger proportion of their workers in towers downtown. 

It's not that businesses don't wish to locate here because of the military presence but that we had a smaller business community (relative to the population)  to begin with. 

(TRYING with little avail to make a clear, concise statement)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really think the military makes buisnesses second think coming to this area because of the massive amount of the military. Its influence to the politics in the area. Look at what is happening around oceana for example.

I wish they would hurry up and start on the actual building!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately that takes more time than we'd like to see sometimes. I first visited my present workplace a year ago today for an interview. Across the street was a gaping pit that covered an entire city block. Next to the pit was a sign with a rendering of a 12-story hotel and condo building. Today the pit and sign are still there. One year, no vertical progress :(

Unfortunately that takes more time than we'd like to see sometimes.  I first visited my present workplace a year ago today for an interview.  Across the street was a gaping pit that covered an entire city block.  Next to the pit was a sign with a rendering of a 12-story hotel and condo building.  Today the pit and sign are still there.  One year, no vertical progress  :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouch! What happened. Did they lose financing or something.

Ouch! What happened. Did they lose financing or something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, there have been small cranes and diggers moving about in there nearly every day. I think there was some sort of a utility problem that might have been unforseen. I know streets in the area were being closed for several days at a time as they dug under them.

No, there have been small cranes and diggers moving about in there nearly every day.  I think there was some sort of a utility problem that might have been unforseen.  I know streets in the area were being closed for several days at a time as they dug under them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats gonna wind up being one expensive 12 story builidng :o . Hope they get all their money out of that deal.

Archived