Trader Building Progress

Chesapeake Pirate

I won't lie, it's fun to throw around numbers of how high a building is and how many floors it will have, or floorspace, where it will be at, how it's going to look, and etc. It's great to anticipate a construction date or completion date and all that but I just like to get away from the norm real quick and just note how dangerous it is to build these things. I was on my way home from classes today and decided to drive by the Trader site and while waiting for the light to turn green, I think me, everyone in the line cars waiting, and a whole lot of pedestrians witnessed something that we just don't think about when watching a building going up and that is the danger. I dont know who's fault is it or if it was a mechanical error but one of the pile-drivers was driving a pile into the ground and it was not vertically correct and when the driver hit it, it shattered numerous parts of the pile and sent pieces of concrete to the ground and about 5 construction workers below running away from near the base of the pile. To the very least, it was a very scary incident and someone could have definitely been seriously hurt with large, heavy debris falling everywhere. Thankfully no one got hurt in that accident and hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a huge setback in construction. In the end, hopefully construction workers and nearby pedestrians alike can take extra care when in the surrounding area of the Trader site and any major construction site for that matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like they got a bad pile. It's typical to see piles go in at angles because you get better load numbers with piles that are at angles rathers than perpendicular. However, this shouldn't hold up construction much.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I won't lie, it's fun to throw around numbers of how high a building is and how many floors it will have, or floorspace, where it will be at, how it's going to look, and etc. It's great to anticipate a construction date or completion date and all that but I just like to get away from the norm real quick and just note how dangerous it is to build these things. I was on my way home from classes today and decided to drive by the Trader site and while waiting for the light to turn green, I think me, everyone in the line cars waiting, and a whole lot of pedestrians witnessed something that we just don't think about when watching a building going up and that is the danger. I dont know who's fault is it or if it was a mechanical error but one of the pile-drivers was driving a pile into the ground and it was not vertically correct and when the driver hit it, it shattered numerous parts of the pile and sent pieces of concrete to the ground and about 5 construction workers below running away from near the base of the pile. To the very least, it was a very scary incident and someone could have definitely been seriously hurt with large, heavy debris falling everywhere. Thankfully no one got hurt in that accident and hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a huge setback in construction. In the end, hopefully construction workers and nearby pedestrians alike can take extra care when in the surrounding area of the Trader site and any major construction site for that matter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can be damn sure OSHA is gonna be on the scene for that one. It won't be a huge deal but it may set them back some, particularly if any injuries were involved. Any such incident has to be reported.

I don't know if this is old news but i'll post it anyways:

"The recently announced 225,000-square-foot, 11-story office tower above a seven-story parking garage will house 1,400 associates of Trader Publishing Company."

So I take it that this will be an 18-story building...any renderings?

I don't know if this is old news but i'll post it anyways:

"The recently announced 225,000-square-foot, 11-story office tower above a seven-story parking garage will house 1,400 associates of Trader Publishing Company."

So I take it that this will be an 18-story building...any renderings?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats old, this building is actually going to be 21 stories. There are renderings in Norfolk

development as well as at the beginning of this thread i do believe.

Just curious, but can someone tell me what the building outlined in red is? Is that the Selden Arcade?

(pic courtesy of veverkap :thumbsup: )

traderconstruction1.bmp

hmm....the pic is so damn small. could someone suggest a good free photo hosting site? i use photobucket, but either its crap or i don't know how to use it right.

Not really about Trader tower, but about Trader itself.

TRADER PUBLISHING COMPANY LEASES

33,077 SQUARE FEET OF NORFOLK OFFICE SPACE

NORFOLK, VIRGINIA: Michael B. Divaris, President of Divaris Real Estate, Inc. announced the signing of a lease with Trader Publishing Company for 33,077 square feet of office space in Norfolk Commerce Park II located at 5301 Robin Hood Road in Norfolk, Virginia.

Trader Publishing is headquartered in Norfolk and is the nation

Wow about 250 in the last two weeks! At this rate, the last pile is sure to sure be slammed into the ground by the end of May and then we can say hello to the start of concrete, sewer/utility, and foundation work!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I should be in Norfolk between June 27 and July 3. Does anyone know if the cranes to raise the steel should be up by then? I just wanna see some big progess in person! :rolleyes:

I should be in Norfolk between June 27 and July 3. Does anyone know if the cranes to raise the steel should be up by then? I just wanna see some big progess in person!  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's a possibility that they'll be up by the end of may if progress continues at this pace.

Archived