DDA OKs $3.2M loan for Redico office building

Allan

I had to get out of the house from studying all day, so I got on my bike and went downtown. There was a concert going on at the park, and a lot of people were pointing at and looking at the new construction wondering what it was. I heard Visteon a few times, so some people must be informed. With the Tiger's game and other events, downtown looked very good last night!

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Those are work lights...they are on all the time...even during the day. It is very expensive to have crews working all the time, so they will only resort to that if things get behind schedule and the building has to be done by a certain date.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you think the exterior will be mostly finished so that the winter time can be used for interior work?

Most definitely. It's amazing how quickly they've built this building up. I remember sitting in Rio's in the Dime building looking at the first of the tall cranes being brought in... it seems like it was only last week.

I keep trying to imagine what it will look like when the spire is built in. lol

It's a neat design and has a cool effect from its back side when you approach it from Michigan Avenue. I guess what I'm getting at is the angle it is on. That's what's so special about Downtown Detroit...the vistas and angles. :)

That is by far my favorite view of the CMP area. I love the fact that the Penobscot tower is still visible in the background- it provides a great feel of density with the Dime building in the background also. I'm really looking forward to the final product.

sorry, I did not realize I made a nearly identical post up above!

If you stand in C-Mart, you can still see the Dime building quite well, especially the top part which is most architecturally significant. In a way, I think this building compliments it. It will look great when it's done. What sucks about this building architecturally though is it still doesn't seem to add to the vibrant nature of Campus Martius. the blank glass wall goes all the way down to the second floor. And from the renderings, the first floor seems dull and uninteresting on the exterior. Although I've been down Michigan Ave. in Chicago probably 3 dozen times in my lifetime, I never really took notice until last week of how most new buildings along that corridor seem to embrace pedestrian activity and the lower levels. I don't really know how to say it, but I guess there is more architectural element on the ground floors. Maybe it's a really cool entrance, or massive windows that allow you to see a really interesting exterior. With this building, it all seems hidden, and somewhat uninviting. Aesthetically though, I think it's successfull. It's not weird or out of character with the surroundings as to draw attention away from the architecturally significant structures. I just wish the building was a bit more human. Then again, it is just an office building.

Archived