DDA OKs $3.2M loan for Redico office building

Allan

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on you guys telling me you wouldnt want to see some modern mixed use tower there? I at least want to see something as tall as Compuware there. I think Detroit needs a very nice residential tower and what better place than at Campus Martius. I know I would rent or buy a place 40 floors up overlooking the park and the surrounding buildings. It would be the best view downtown.

Not all those buildings on the Monroe Block were 4-5 stories. There was another tower there called the "something...exchange building" that was a little shorter than the Cadillac Tower and it burned down. I agree that a tall tower should go there. If any of you even want a tower that will looked balanced in the skyline, sorry, it has to go on the Monroe block. You can put it on all those empty lots over near the county building, but then you'll have a 40-50 story building across from that. Building a tower anywhere else will look weird. We got what we wanted height-wise with the Kennedy Block, now it's time to build up on the Monroe. IMO, I think something similar to Chicago's Watertower Place would be nice. A mall on the lower levels, and offices in the tower. Or we could put that on the Hudsons block, but I don't think the proposals for that block call for 1 large building.

Well i mean for the actual Monroe block, not the part next to a building, I could care less if a tower was there:

www.snweb.org/cadsqbldg.php

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isnt that whole lot considered Monroe block?

Hudsons block i believe was originally proposed as a twin tower development with both towers being about the same height as Compuware. Im sure ill get corrected on that but thats what I think I remember.

I would like to see mostly a retail and residential project on Hudsons block. I think with the other lofts on Woodward and the developments around broadway and Harmonie park that this could become quite a cool neighborhood. Foot traffic is going to be important for that whole area. I think they were considering putting a hotel on the Hudsons block as well. It would be a great location considering its proximity to everything goin on downtown.

The only retail rumors I have heard for the city are:

BD's Mongolian BBQ in the Kennedy Block

and PF Changs in the Orchestra Place Building at Mack (maybe once the Ellington is complete in a decade?);)

I'm excited about this, since it will cover up a portion of the north facade of the giant cheese grater (aka Bank One).  I just hope the architects don't screw up the design....

IMG_2903.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, yes. A cheese grater, America's standard kitchen cupboard icon close to the pantry with the parmesan and jar of Ragu. Why not make a tribute to this design, by the way of a giant sculpture that looks exactly like what someone would use on a block of cheddar, in a small park next to that bank?

MrCoffee

(This post is only in humor, and is not intended to be serious, by the way)

Taken Sunday, May 29th. The new Visteon Tower will actually sport a doorstop design, or maybe it will look like cheese if the footprint of the building is a triangle :lol:

reidco.jpg

EDIT, now that I look at the picture again, 1001 Woodward looks like the grillwork on my air conditioning unit.

• 2 weeks later...

The building seems like it could go either way (good/bad). Has anyone ever seen the Lansing City Hall Building? I don't know architecture terminology that well, but it looks like 1960s brutalism. Hopefully, the glass panels on the Kennedy Sq. Bldg will look ultra-modern.

I really think this will do well! One thing that always caught me off guard about the compuware building was the prevelance of the (green) glass in the structure and how it kind of clashed with the majority of buildings which are stone facade. I really think this building will compliment the CPWR building quite well and help to ease the concept of glass wall into the CBD.

I was looking at the Redico site last weekend and trying to imagine a 10-story building there. Seems like it would be so squat and unimpressive. But looking at the renderings again, just the style of it and how it clashes with everything but Compuware (but still with some style) gives it some hope.

I hope whatever goes on the ground floor matches the building's relative flashiness. Like Michi said, it could go either way, and I think the ground floor tenant(s) will be a big factor in how it'll turn out (or maybe it's this cheap beer saying that).

I think this buildings success is just as dependant on the ground floor retail as well as the design. This building is in great contrast with just about everything else downtown except compuware and I like that. It needs to have the right tenants though to make it an important building downtown IMO. I hope it draws more people to the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived