National Geographic Traveler Magazine

Jenkins

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

given the ad in the magazine... tourism for waterfire will most likely be up from last year. Do we think that with gtech and parcel 2 construction going on (not going on @ night time but just existing there as construction sites) will alter their opinions? Being listed the #2 must see attraction woulda been perfect in 3 yrs.. when the city will be done with a good many projects ;) POOPY

I would love to hear more opinions on this and related topics. Im not sure what effect it will have, but I am more concerned about the impressions that the construction gives off. I wish that they would put of huge (bigger) signs on parcel 9 & now 2 in addition to westminster with nice pics so people know what is going on. I suspect that some will just view it as a big mess, but who knows.

given the ad in the magazine... tourism for waterfire will most likely be up from last year. Do we think that with gtech and parcel 2 construction going on (not going on @ night time but just existing there as construction sites) will alter their opinions? Being listed the #2 must see attraction woulda been perfect in 3 yrs.. when the city will be done with a good many projects ;)  POOPY

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it could hurt, but I'm hoping a lot of people will come, enjoy, and see the wonderful condos being built nearby, and consider making Providence their home :).

- Garris

I think people understand that cities have construction going on, and won't hold it against Providence. Plus, the construction is mostly down the waterfire basin end of things and doesn't have much of an impact on the other end. Plus I think the construction let's people know that Providence is a growing city.

maybe they will come to see waterfire, love it the way it is, and say to themselves, "imagine what this place will look like when these bldgs are all done, I've got to come back and see it next year!"

or maybe they will see the graffiti on the masonic temple and ask themselves, "is this state deprived of paper to draw on?" :wacko:

Yeah i agree however i think you have to wait till it gets warmer before it will get removed / or not.

A huge "tag" can be found off the right side of the college street bridge. ( right side as if walking towards college hill )

Is it just me or is graffiti out of control in Providence lately?  I was just walking down by Waterplace Park and saw some particularly nasty examples on the concrete retaining walls.  Is there anything we can do about this???

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I walked through Waterplace this morning and all the tiles under the Exchange Bridge were tagged. Some looked like there was a feeble attempt at removal.

Is Capital Centre part of the Clean Team's territory?

No, I dont think so. Also i dont think it would be fair for  bussness (pay) to clean what the state should be doing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's also not really any businesses there yet to pay into the special tax used to create the Clean Team.

I did not know it was tax driven.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The businesses downcity pay a special fee which supports the Business Improvement District. The businesses in the core pay a higher fee, and then in a ring further out the fee (and the services provided) are lesser.

The businesses downcity pay a special fee which supports the Business Improvement District. The businesses in the core pay a higher fee, and then in a ring further out the fee (and the services provided) are lesser.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have to say I saw the yellow jacketed guys helping a dude with a flat tire yesterday. I was quite impressed.

Ah, the graffiti. Now thats a tough one...yeesh.

can graffiti even be cleaned?? I've only see it taken care of with a nice new coat of paint.. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I recall reading an article about this a while back (like, maybe 6 or 7 years ago) in the NYTimes about the NY MTA efforts on graffiti, and the answer is, yes, it can be cleaned, but it is a time consuming and expensive process. I really wish the "Tokyo" building owners at Wickenden and Hope would paint over their graffiti. That building looks terrible.

- Garris

PS: Is there anyone we could give feedback to about how good a job the Yellow Jacket team is doing?

Its a shame that a few selfish punks can destroy what so many are trying to make beautiful again. :angry: What can be done? Petition, letter to the local congressman, fundraiser? No easy answers here, but the new recruiting class of police officers will be on the street by the end of the summer, hopefully the city is beefing up the force to be better equiped to handle such problems. Those yellow jacket guys are a good start to deter such activity also. Once people start buying luxury condos they won't want to put up with that sh-t, and when people with $$ talk the City will be forced to take action. I am very excited about moving to Providence and I be willing to become more involved when I am living in the area.

Archived