www.downtownparks.com

bobliocatt

IMAG0001.JPG

Here's a link to a great site, loaded with information concerning Springfield's chain of parks, which include Springfield, klutho and Confederate parks. The goal of the site is to encourage to city to return this unique urban parkland to its former glory. Check it out, you'll definately be impressed with the amount of information and pictures.

www.downtownparks.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a great web site. I think many people do not realize how beautiful that area used to be and could be again. With the restoration of Memorial Park in Riverside, many private citizens donated money for benches and trees, etc. This group should set up a private organization to aid the park (i.e. Friends of Confederate Park). This group could solicit donations and lobby the city and begin work on some items that need addressing. The City would have a hard time turning down private help with some of these more easily fixed items (landscaping and benches) and this would spur action on the harder to tackle ones (cleaning up the creek and fixing the walkways and bridges). If we had a restored Hogans Creek, people could even use rowboats (or even gondolas) to explore. It would be a great area. Where do I donate $$?

Gosh, I never really knew how beautiful they used to be. Looking at the current pics, it's easy to see why mast people can't even fathom that area as attractive. I think that if the city truly invested in these urban parks, and completely overhauled the entire park system of lower Springfield, we could see private development engulf the area. I envision townhomes, retail and 3-4 story mix-use across the street from the old park, almost like Central Park in Manhattan, only smaller. Also, even more historic preservation in the area.

Look at how well Springfield has managed to do now, and imagine what it would be like with these parks brought back to life.

Springfield can easily be restored and to see the parks overhauled would be a

huge kick in the right direction. I can't believe how amazing they looked in the

20's. It seems that after building them the city just ignored them.

Its a bit depressing to see such a potentially beautiful section of town be ignored

for so many years.

Thanks for the great post Lakelander.

McCoy's Creek is equally if not more abused/neglected. Other city's would die to have these tributaries. As a matter of fact, Songdo the instant city in South Korea (they are shooting for 100,000 residents in ten years) is MAKING canals very much like Hogan's and McCoys with water taxis and the like. Good job on the site. keep fighting the good fight to reclaim our creeks and greenspace!

Also- check out:

http://jacksonvillestory.com/Timucua,%20Ossachite.htm

I must admit that I have icon envy. I thought I was the walking man. too cool B)

McCoy's Creek is equally if not more abused/neglected. Other city's would die to have these tributaries. As a matter of fact, Songdo the instant city in South Korea (they are shooting for 100,000 residents in ten years) is MAKING canals very much like Hogan's and McCoys with water taxis and the like. Good job on the site. keep fighting the good fight to reclaim our creeks and greenspace!

Also- check out:

http://jacksonvillestory.com/Timucua,%20Ossachite.htm

I must admit that I have icon envy. I thought I was the walking man. too cool  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Off Topic:

Heh, thanks. At least your walking man looks like he may get somewhere. Mine

can't decide what direction to go! Do a search online for Avatars, you'll find all

kinds of great stuff.

On Topic:

I agree that McCoy's is definitely neglected. A nice overhaul could spawn a

massive amount of urban development like the canal in Indianapolis. I would love

to see some midrise buildings similar to that of Bay Street lining the creek with

wide walkways, ground floor commercial, and regular arched pedestrian crossings

to connect the sides.

Archived