wolverine

Ann Arbor Photo of the Day

363 posts in this topic

Just like the Detroit photo of the day thread, I have decided to start one for Ann Arbor since I have a huge directory of A2 photos.

aapotd0001.jpg

So here is the first image

The new Palmer Life Sciences Complex.

Well, with all the Wayne State expansions you may just see something like this in the D.

I wish that was in Detroit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha, I think a lot of the Ann Arbor residents wish that it was in Detroit too ;) But the decision to put the building there caused probably at least as much groaning as it did cheering. I recall the Daily wrote something to the effect that "The Life Sciences Building will be built on the last open area on campus" and most people I talked to didn't even realize that the area was considered open because it was so small already. Anyway, nice pic wolverine!

Good job capturing the building. Three more buildings complete the complex, however. Spatial challenge: show the entire complex in one photograph, or maybe a joiner haha

^ Haha, Oh God....but we all know what would happen if the powerplant were to be caught in such a "joiner project" :lol:

Edited by wolverine

Wolverine:

First of all, great idea! Next, do you mind if I put up some of my A2 photos on this? I've got some good ones.

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that anyone can post images of A2 in this thread. Feel free to add more than one per day. Heck, you can add 100 if you like. I just wanted to have an unending thread of pics. So post all you want, and share the good news!

Oooh, nice Aaron. My friend Brian and I tried to get out and capture a few shots of it, but it had already set on us.

aapotd0004.jpg

Corner of Washington and 4th

EDIT: Boooooooo! this thread has become dry to quickly.

Edited by wolverine

aapotd0005.jpg

An apartment building on Willard across from East Quad. I thought this building would fit perfectly in Brush Park in Detroit. It was recently built, but I'm not sure when.

aapotd0006.jpg

Ashley Mews Real Estate Building on Main St.

Edited by wolverine

aapotd0006.jpg

Ashley Mews Real Estate Building on Main St.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When was that built?

(and what's up with those top two floors?? :huh: )

The Ashley Mews building was finished about 3 years ago. The floors in the brick part are all offices. The top two floors are for lofts. All I know is that the units are REALLY REALLY expensive. The townhouses just barely visible to the right also owned by the company go for $600,000 per unit.

Why do they actually care about architecture in Ann Arbor but could care less in Detroit.. so annoying

Believe it or not, there are specific reasons. For one thing, Ann Arbor has VERY STRICT building codes. Developers have to go through an extensive process of getting approval down to the type of brick they use. In fact, brick selection took 3 months on one building to get approval! Second of all, there is more money. Building in Detroit is still a bit risky, so usually businesses and corporations don't go all out on creating masterpiece buildings. Finally, there are just higher standards in general. Although Detroit has a deeper history than Ann Arbor, Detroit's urban landscape is so torn up and mutliated, that developers feel they can be more liberal in how their buildings look. In Ann Arbor, developers have tough standards with all the historical buildings around, their building must make a statement too, yet be sensitive to its surroundings.

Most of this is just through my observations, so there could be different reasons, but it's the general consensus around here with other people I have discussed this matter with. I would say the building codes are the underlying Fact why Ann Arbor has consistently shown better architecture in new buildings than Detroit. That's if, you think A2's new buildings are better.

First National Building on the corner of Main and Washington. When people think of buildings along Main Street, this one always seems to come to mind.

aapotd0007.jpg

Here's the back.

aapotd0008.jpg

Edited by wolverine

Nice photo. I love the lighting on this one.

Thanks Allan, it was a great evening that night for taking pictures. I'm going to be so busy this week, that I'm going to post pictures that will cover well into next week. Most of the downtown pics are in the Washington street area. Next week, I will post more of the downtown and eventually the U of M campus.

aapotd0009.jpg

Corner of Ashley and Washington

aapotd0010.jpg

5th and Washington

aapotd0011.jpg

Main Street

aapotd0012.jpg

Ashley Street

aappotd0013.jpg

Schwaben Building

aapotd0014.jpg

Outdoor dining on Washington