Ann Arbor Photo of the Day

wolverine

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what the State used to look like, since it's been heavily modified. Although somewhat historic, it was never all that interesting. Urban outfitters occupies what was once the lobby (ceiling still in tact) and the lower part of the theater. The stage is still at the back. I've been to many U-O across the nation, and IMO this one is the best store design since it's a reuse of an interesting space. The balcony was converted into standard movie screen theaters. They were pretty ghetto when I saw a movie there last year, but they announced before the showing that they were replacing the seats, which were falling apart.

Zach, if ou want to see a movie there, be sure to bring your high school ID, or your college ID when you get one to get a nice discount. I'd also suggest seeing a movie at the Michigan Theater. It recently got an addition and the lobbies and theater have been beautiful restored. I saw Garden State there last, and it was even better experience seeing the movie in such a beautiful space.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like adding captions. That whole chunk of red buildings has Grizzly Peak Brewpub. I'm not sure if Grizzly Peak is just a Michigan chain of restaurants or if t's actually national. They all operate under different names though. There's one in Kentwood near Grand Rapids and one in Frankenmuth called Frankenmuth Brewing Co. However, the company is Ann Arbor based. The menus are the same at all locations, and IMO, the food is very good.

frankenmuthbrewery.png

• 3 weeks later...

I like adding captions. That whole chunk of red buildings has Grizzly Peak Brewpub. I'm not sure if Grizzly Peak is just a Michigan chain of restaurants or if t's actually national. They all operate under different names though. There's one in Kentwood near Grand Rapids and one in Frankenmuth called Frankenmuth Brewing Co. However, the company is Ann Arbor based. The menus are the same at all locations, and IMO, the food is very good.

Kentwood doesn't have a Grizzly Peak, but they used to have a Big Buck Brewery on 28th St (maybe same ownership?). It's been closed for about 4 or 5 years now. Their food was terrible, and their beer was OK. Not nearly as good as Grand Rapids Brewing Company or Founders. I had a beer at that exact Grizzly Peak in AA about 7 years ago.

I'll have to ask one of my friends from Kentwood for the name of the place. I know it's not a Big Buck, but I'm positive this place is still in business.

I did some quick research, and Grizzly Peak is owned by Schelde's, which owns Grand Rapids Brewing Co., Rio Grande and a number of other restaurants in the area. Learn something new every day. :thumbsup:

253435793_73257defe4_b.jpg

An angry mob of students swarms an over-zealous preacher on the Michigan Diag. In these types of situations, it's not so much about ones beliefs, but how vocal they are about it. On a campus so deeply rooted in respect for all races, religions, and sexual orientation there's no doubt this type of protesting is going to stir up massive opposition.

Curious students gather to see what the commotion is about:

uofmstudents.jpg