Ann Arbor Photo of the Day

wolverine

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL This isn't neglect, it's actual demolition. Just a few months ago, this church was perfectly maintained because it was the sales office for the future building rising there (which is why the arch is purple)

They rebuilt their church in another location and it looks very similar. All those gaps are where detail work used to be which is being salvaged.

The Gallery Tower will begin construction after the church is demolished.

View renderings here:

http://detroitrising.com/annarbor.htm

LOL This isn't neglect, it's actual demolition. Just a few months ago, this church was perfectly maintained because it was the sales office for the future building rising there (which is why the arch is purple)

They rebuilt their church in another location and it looks very similar. All those gaps are where detail work used to be which is being salvaged.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was in the northern part of suburban Detroit on Saturday for a family gathering. Since I was already in the Eastern part of the state I decided to make a (major) detour on my way home and stop in Ann Arbor. I had only been in Ann Arbor once before and it was in the early spring so I wanted to see what the city was like in the summer. Simply put I found out the city in the summer is amazing! I couldn't believe all the people downtown on a Saturday evening for what seemed to be no special occasion.

The first few people I passed on the street gave me some unpleasant looks, which confused me until I realized I was wearing my only MSU t-shirt. I felt better a little while later though when a girl I passed yelled "Go Green!" It was late in the day when I made it to Ann Arbor but after seeing the few downtown streets I did I hope to find another day this summer to spend a whole day exploring the city. I'll wear a different shirt next time as well.

My pictures didn't turn out the best because of the time of day, but here are some of the first ones I've uploaded. I'll being uploading more tonight or tomorrow.

2717379248_7efbd0b5ba_b.jpg

2717439732_8ac5c2e3ed_b.jpg

The sun was just barely blocked by this building.

2716565049_939270a9cc_b.jpg

2716564547_728d551b18_b.jpg

2717440070_2c44dff32b_b.jpg

Our graduate program in urban planning is full of people who took the program undergrad at MSU. I've gotten completely used to it already lol. Glad you enjoyed your visit! You captured the recently constructed cornice nicely in the last photograph. It's hard to believe there used to be nothing there but a blank wall.

Edited by wolverine

The top one is nice. I think it's the first one anyone has taken showing an idea of how 4Eleven lofts will look massing-wise among its neighbors, although it appears theres a few more floors to go.

It actually looks kind of dead around town. I guess because I'm always there, August-April and never during the summer when thirty something thousand less people are around.

Edited by wolverine