Ann Arbor Photo of the Day

wolverine

lsa.jpg

If you were to ask any student at U of M what the ugliest building on campus was, they would likely name the LS&A administration building.  Known for its bright orange facade, (or should I say SALMON as the 1950's properties and lands documents described it) the Literature Sciences and Arts building houses all the financial activities within Michigan's largest school.  Currently, the building has been entirely gutted and will be receiving a massive renovation with a price tag of $26 million paid by the state of michigan.  Students were dissapointed to find out that orange brick would not dissapear to a more flavorfull facade like Haven Hall in the above post.  Oh well, who knows what the university was thinking.

I should also take this time to introduce a website I worked on during fall of 2004 for a History of U of M class.  The site was never finished, although I intend to one day (I still got an A on it :) ).  Basically, it covers the architecture and building history of U of M through historic and recent photos and descriptions.  You can see what existed at one time, and what exists there now.  There is an interactive flash map, that broke and I still need to fix, so you'll have to use the html page under the link BUILDING LIST.  The interactive map was supposed to be the centerpiece of it all, since it is actually a scan of a massive drawing by some guy named Mort of the entire campus.  Every year, it is updated to show new buildings that have gone up on campus.  I hope you all enjoy the site, and let me know if you have any questions or problems.  Remember, the site isn't finished yet, so there may not be photos up in some places.

THE SITE:

University of Michigan Campus Chronological Development

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great pic, as always. The story that I heard about the LSA building is that it was supposed to be red brick (to match much of the other existing campus architecture) but due to postwar shortages (it was built in 1947), the salmon colored brick had to be used.

Frankly, as bad as the LSA building is, the Business School always beat it for sure base ugliness. Or maybe the stainless steel addition to the back of the Law School (which is scheduled to be demolished in the Renzo Piano renovation of the Law Quad).

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Renzo's work shop recently released the new renderings for the law school.  They are amazing! 

And yes, the Shapiro library was refaced in the 90's.  I'll make that the next photo of the day.  We still call it the UGLI though  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Glad to hear that some things never change :)

• 4 weeks later...

A photo I found at today's (06.09.05) CNN Offbeat Images section:

01.duct.tape.ap.jpg

Tied with tape

Pete Warburton is shown with a collection of his duct tape ties at the Clock Works Coffee House in Dexter, Michigan. His extensive wardrobe of duct-tape ties only adds to the counselor's popularity at school.

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering, does anybody have photos of Pittsfield Township? I am especially interested in the area around Highway 23 and Packard. Also, does anybody have any photos of Ypsilanti? It seems like Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti are both college towns, and I am fairly certain that those areas are thriving, but probably not on the same level as Grand Rapids.

MrCoffee

I don't really have photos of Pittsfield township, but I can take photos of that area next time I'm in ann arbor since I need them for urbanmichigan.

Pittsfield is one of the better suburban areas I've seen in the Ypsilanti/Ann Arbor area. The housing is unusually dense making it difficult to tell where exactly A2's city limits end (likely due to smart growth acts) and its suburban retail districts are somewhat typical of suburbs built in the 40's and 50's (especially along washtenaw). That doesn't mean these areas are old, but rather they are new buildings much closer together than you'll find in other areas. Not all parts are like this though. For the most part Pittsfield is still rural. But because of smarth growth acts, it could jump to an urban fringe status in no time if new construction is well planned. If I were to permanently move to Ann Arbor, I'd likely reside in Pittsfield. It's close enough to Ann Arbor's downtown, yet I wouldn't have to live in the neighborhoods with all the students.

I really need to start posting pics in this thread. Sorry all.

Thanks for the information, Wolverine. I'll be locating to Ann Arbor from Minneapolis/St. Paul. Housing is getting too expensive here, and the current management can't garantee me that the rent will stay the same next year. Housing is increasing draumatically in Minneapolis/St. Paul, but they don't consider it a bubble, as incomes are high in this area too. The cost of housing may be a good thing to some people, but for those on a fixed income, it makes it a bit difficult to stay. Hopefully, Ann Arbor will remain a pleasant, yet somewhat affordable place to live.

MrCoffee

The views are awesome up in Burton Tower. Unfortunately, a suicide fence was installed with dense meshwork, making it difficult for photography. The tower is unlocked at all times, just take the elevators to the top. You can even go up when they are playing the bells. I think they lock the top part late at night though. Lurie tower always seems to be locked. I have no idea why.

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice photos...and living in Ann Arbor for several years now I am very familiar with all of the locations featured. Its a wonderful city to raise a family.

Peace,  Eye

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So far, so good. I've been in Ann Arbor since the first part of July. It does seem a lot quieter than where I was at in Minnesota (Burnsville, a suburb South of Minneapolis). You can bet I won't miss the loud strait hot-rod pipes on cars I had to endure in the Twin Cities! Hopefully, it will stay this pleasant and living costs will remain reasonable (which they seem to be so far).

MrCoffee