SouthPark: A new Home for the Homeless?

DigitalSky

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While homelessness is a problem, there are many avenues to help people. There are multiple programs that get people off the streets and into gainful employment as well as get them medical treatment if needed here in Charlotte. All it takes is a conscious effort by those that need it.

It's true, North Carolina is actually quite proactive in assisting people in need--there are assorted programs that are geared to help put people on the path of self-sufficiency, or somewhat so at the very least. Something is better than nothing, and all it takes is a relatively benign effort from those who need the help.

Poverty is something that will be around for the forseeable future, I think it is important to incorporate elements into every community that caters to this issue and doesn't just sweep it under the rug.

I heard the other day that we had a little war going on with Atlanta a while back. CMPD would put our homeless people on a bus and ship them to Atlanta and Atlanta would do the same to us.  :whistling:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least they kept warm in the bus on the roundtrip :).

My son managed a bagal shop and once gave a group of homeless a bunch of day olds. Their response to the thoughtful gesture was, "fudge your angel love bagals, give us some cash". Here in my town in Florida, the homeless are a real pain in the ass. They are dangerous and have been known to attack. Just recently, one was arrested for a murder he comitted in Charlotte several years back. The best place for the homeless is "Some other place". I do feel sorry for the few that have some mental problem and haven't been able to get help or those that have just had a real stroke of bad luck, but that is a very small percentage. I think that California is a good place for them?

My son managed a bagal shop and once gave a group of homeless a bunch of day olds.  Their response to the thoughtful gesture was, "fudge your angel love bagals, give us some cash".  Here in my town in Florida, the homeless are a real pain in the ass.  They are dangerous and have been known to attack.  Just recently, one was arrested for a murder he comitted in Charlotte several years back.  The best place for the homeless is "Some other place".  I do feel sorry for the few that have some mental problem and haven't been able to get help or those that have just had a real stroke of bad luck, but that is a very small percentage.  I think that California is a good place for them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The homeless in San Fran are downright snotty. I once gave a homeless guy there a quarter and he threw it back at me! :cry:

"I do feel sorry for the few that have some mental problem and haven't been able to get help or those that have just had a real stroke of bad luck, but that is a very small percentage."

You really should actually learn something about the homeless population before you speak.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What do I need to know? I think I was clear on my past posting. I have lived with them for many years in different cities. I am aware of their often dangerous behaviors. Actually an old friend of mine did the downtown Charlotte beat as a city cop and he informed me of what a danger and nusense they were uptown. It was surprising. It seems that you might be one that encourages them by actually giving them a handout to support their drug/alcohol habit? Be aware, they are generally not ones that have just fallen on hard times. You could be encouraging deviant behavior. The great majority also choose and wish to remain homeless.

Whistle, I have been there before. I was walking down Market in San Francisco and one actually appeared in the crowd singing (he was horrible). Nevertheless, he said that he would stop singing for a dollar. I did think that was rather clever.

What do I need to know?  I think I was clear on my past posting.  I have lived with them for many years in different cities.  I am aware of their often dangerous behaviors.  Actually an old friend of mine did the downtown Charlotte beat as a city cop and he informed me of what a danger and nusense they were uptown.  It was surprising. It seems that you might be one that encourages them by actually giving them a handout to support their drug/alcohol habit?  Be aware, they are generally not ones that have just fallen on hard times.  You could be encouraging deviant behavior. The great majority also choose and wish to remain homeless.

Whistle, I have been there before.  I was walking down Market in San Francisco and one actually appeared in the crowd singing (he was horrible). Nevertheless, he said that he would stop singing for a dollar.  I did think that was rather clever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that reverbandwhiskey was refering to your comment that relatively few homeless people have mental illnesses, which is not true. The vast majority of people who remain homless for prolonged periods of time suffer from mental illness.

Archived