Silk Road Project moves to Providence

Cotuit

Cellist Yo-Yo Ma brings music initiative to RISD

In a five-year agreement, the noted musicians Silk Road Project will transfer its headquarters from New York City to Providence.

BY BILL VAN SICLEN Journal Arts Writer | March 31, 2005

PROVIDENCE -- In a major cultural coup, Harvard University and the Rhode Island School of Design are joining forces to bring The Silk Road Project, a multidisciplinary arts and education organization founded by renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma, to New England.

Under the terms of a five-year agreement announced yesterday, The Silk Road Project will transfer its headquarters from New York City to Providence, beginning next month. The organization will also establish a residency program that will bring RISD students and faculty members together with an international array of musicians, including Ma himself.

Harvard, meanwhile, will establish a series of interdisciplinary courses focusing on the art, music and literature of the Silk Road -- the fabled Central Asian trading route connecting Western Europe and the Far East. The courses will be developed by The Silk Road Project in conjunction with Harvard's faculty of arts and sciences.

"It's a tremendous opportunity," Ma said yesterday during a phone interview. "Over the past few months, we've gotten to know RISD and Providence very well. There's a lot of creative energy in the Providence area, and we look forward to being a part of it."

Ma said he and his fellow Silk Road musicians were especially excited by the prospect of working with RISD students. "They have such an amazing passion and commitment to what they do," he said. "When you're around them, you can't help but feed off their intensity."

RISD president Roger Mandle said the partnership with The Silk Road Project would benefit his school as well.

"Besides being a fantastic musician, Yo-Yo Ma is one of the world's great musical and cultural ambassadors," Mandle said. "Having his Silk Road Project here in Providence promises to be a culturally enriching experience, not just for RISD but also for the larger community."

Continue reading at: ProJo.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats interesting. Speaking of which one of the worlds greatest Cello players ( i forget his name ) it doing something with brown this week. He's also staying at Hotel Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's Yo-Yo Ma.

This speaks volumes about our little city. This is quite a coup for us. Yo-Yo Ma is one of the greats. I'm feeling quit proud right now. On a different level, the best thing is the location. I work right next door to 10 Westminster. Seeing that building fully occupied again is exciting in and of itself. Another RBI for downtown.

This is another example of why I think Providence is a city on the move. It's not looking for the one time big shot in the arm. Rhode Islanders are quite happy winning the game with a bunch of singles and doubles. Of course, a homerun or two is always nice, but I like this approach.

• 9 months later...

Archived