Some Burlington Pictures

ezcheese

Here are a few pictures that I took the last time I was in Burlington.

These first several pictures are of the old Price house. It's situated behind the super K-mart on Huffman Mill road. Mr. Price was a prominent businessman in Burlington. My grandfather used to be his "right-hand man" - managing the old Buick dealsership for him. Apparently, My grandfather also chose this location for Mr. Price to build this house on. The family still ownes a lot of property in this area. They owned the site that the Holly Hill mall (now called the Colonial mall) is situated on and the majority of the surrounding area. "Holly Hill" was what they called the property.

In the mid-seventies, the family moved out of this house and moved to a house that would be easier for Mrs. Price to manage, as she insisted that she do all the housework herself. Well, this house sat vacant for several years, so eventually, it had to happen: vandalism. The house was burglarized and vandalized, and then set on fire. These are pictures of the remains of the old house.

The back of the property

b001.jpg

Back porch

b002.jpg

Peeking into the bathroom of the guest house

b003.jpg

A bust from one of the anchor stores in the nearby Colonial Mall

b004.jpg

What was once a grand front entry must now submit to nature

b005.jpg

The charred remains of the garage

b006.jpg

Complete with old Buick

b007.jpg

Down into the lower levels of the house

b008.jpg

b009.jpg

The front wall stands in contrast to the missing portions of the house

b010.jpg

This was originally a little log cabin that the family lived in on the property while the main house was being built. The front left shows the older part of the log cabin, the larger section was added on later. To the left is the super K-mart.

b011.jpg

I wanted to get way more pictures of Glencoe Mill, but my camera ran out of juice just as I was getting started. Here are a few of the historic houses in this little mill village. Glencoe Mill Village is on the National Register of Historic Places. There are plans to do some mixed-use development with the old mill sections and to add infill historiclly accurate houses. Eventually, there will be a park along the Haw river and other cool elements.

Check out http://www.glencoemill.org/ for more info about the historic Glencoe Mill Village

b012.jpg

b013.jpg

b014.jpg

b015.jpg

b016.jpg

b017.jpg

• 8 months later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow. those first ones look creepy

i know! it's creepy walking around there. my dad has an old black and white picture of the house in all its glory where it's all covered in snow. if i think about it sometime, i'll borrow it from him and scan and post it to this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

When i was younger, there was a abanded/deterorated home next to Pinehurst Elementary School (its rare to find something in ruins in Pinehurst, especially residential) and while this was almost 10 years ago (i was 10 years old then), i recalled seeing old old newspapers and magazines from the 30s through the 50s as well as some homework assignment sheets from the 1955 (it was dated). Then i saw the name of the school, it was something, perhaps Pinehurst or West End High School but in any case, this was back during the segregation days since the school names i mentioned do not exist anymore, they all turned into either Elementary schools or something else. Pinecrest High School, a regional school serving 1/3 of Moore County, came into existence in 1969 thus segregation ended around that time but lingered around from a social point of view till the late 1980s after the last race school riot.

I only ventured there during the daytime because i could only imagine that homeless people or crackheads probably reside in there at night because one time I found a half-eaten snickers bar in the home before with powder residue around it so i suspect it could be crack or coke. Who knows.

In any case, the house had to been from the early 1900's from its building structure. Elevations were not consistant in terms of the building as well as the floor not being leveled. The electrical outlets were done by simple switches with wires hanging around (lightbulbs). Pretty much, the house was built with no requirements or standards. Today if you were to build a house in Pinehurst, you would not be allowed to own a trailor in the town limits and if you own a home and/or building a home, you must follow MANY MANY building codes and ordinances. The town loves to fine people for revenue beyond the speeding ticket blitz.

Btw, nice pics of Glencoe

And no, i did not eat the Snickers Bar :shades:

Archived