Detroit's best street

kgourlay

If you were giving a tour to a visitor, which single street would best show off the beauty and character of Detroit?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If you were giving a tour to a visitor, which single street would best show off the beauty and character of Detroit?

• Woodward
    • Jefferson
    • Grand River
    • Gratiot
    • Grand Boulevard
    • Outer Drive
    • Michigan
    • Vernor

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You probably should have had Michigan on there too.

I picked Jefferson (East) because of the Riverfront, and the interesting mix of expensive sprawling neighborhoods and highrises, and the potential.

I also like Michigan because it used to be the gateway to the city, and there is a lot of great stuff happening in Corktown.

You probably should have had Michigan on there too.

I picked Jefferson (East) because of the Riverfront, and the interesting mix of expensive sprawling neighborhoods and highrises, and the potential.

I also like Michigan because it used to be the gateway to the city, and there is a lot of great stuff happening in Corktown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doh! I knew I was going to forget one. Ya, Michigan is definitely an important one to be on that list.

I picked Jefferson too. Honestly I don't drive on Jefferson much, but overall it has a lot of beautiful architecture and even though Woodward takes you through a lot of important districts, I think the view from Jefferson overall is a little nicer.

• 3 months later...

I voted for Woodward without hesitation.

Second choice, in combination with Woodward "might" be 8 Mile. Woodward is an Indian trail, 8 Mile a plot on a Cartesian grid that extends to the southern border of Wisconsin. Y and X axis. These two roads symbolize a clash and marriage of civilizations that continues.

Can't see from here -- did anyone nominate Fort St.? Miller Road Bridge ... Rouge ... Union wars ... Fort Wayne ... Produce Terminal

• 2 months later...

I second Vernor Hwy. Is there really any road in the city with as many active storefronts, as much foot traffic, and genuine vibrance? Woodward has the highrises, the large cultural institutions, and the multiple (empty) lanes, sure, but it's also quite ominous, you won't see many folks crossing or walking down it, and there are many empty dark patches as well. Then again it's a very long road, one I love taking into and out of the city to the north.

I think Woodward should be narrowed (perhaps a BLVD with widened side walks that act as parks) before it can become a great street.

Has anyone seen the greatest roads/streets of the world series that was on PBS a few years back? They all had pedestrian focus. Woodward just does not until you get down below Grand Circus Park.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the future focus of Washington Blvd should be residential. There are some spots where residential stuctures could go up. I think with the new improvements and the fact that it leads right into Grand Circus that this would be a great spot to focus on residential developments.

Archived