Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kgourlay

Detroit's best street

If you were giving a tour to a visitor, which single street would best show off the beauty and character of Detroit?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. If you were giving a tour to a visitor, which single street would best show off the beauty and character of Detroit?

• Woodward
    • Jefferson
    • Grand River
    • Gratiot
    • Grand Boulevard
    • Outer Drive
    • Michigan
    • Vernor

There are a lot of other streets in the city, but these are the main travel routes I could think of in, around, or through Detroit. Which one do you think shows Detroit in the most favorable light?

I agree, Woodward has the best of the best, theaters, lofts, businesses. It goes through LoMR, CMart, WSU, New Center, and Brush Park.

Woodward is the obvious choice as the most diverse and representative street. I've always enjoyed Grand Boulevard, too. The setup is great, especially during the summer when the medians aren't barren.

You probably should have had Michigan on there too.

I picked Jefferson (East) because of the Riverfront, and the interesting mix of expensive sprawling neighborhoods and highrises, and the potential.

I also like Michigan because it used to be the gateway to the city, and there is a lot of great stuff happening in Corktown.

You probably should have had Michigan on there too.

I picked Jefferson (East) because of the Riverfront, and the interesting mix of expensive sprawling neighborhoods and highrises, and the potential.

I also like Michigan because it used to be the gateway to the city, and there is a lot of great stuff happening in Corktown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Doh! I knew I was going to forget one. Ya, Michigan is definitely an important one to be on that list.

I picked Jefferson too. Honestly I don't drive on Jefferson much, but overall it has a lot of beautiful architecture and even though Woodward takes you through a lot of important districts, I think the view from Jefferson overall is a little nicer.

Like most have said earlier, Woodward would be my top choice. For an urbanist, its a pretty interesting drive from Jefferson up through Midtown. You get a real good feel of the city driving from downtown to the suburbs along Woodward.

No doubt on this one: Woodward. Woodward tells the whole story of Detroit; the past, present, and the future as well as the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I voted for Woodward without hesitation.

Second choice, in combination with Woodward "might" be 8 Mile. Woodward is an Indian trail, 8 Mile a plot on a Cartesian grid that extends to the southern border of Wisconsin. Y and X axis. These two roads symbolize a clash and marriage of civilizations that continues.

Can't see from here -- did anyone nominate Fort St.? Miller Road Bridge ... Rouge ... Union wars ... Fort Wayne ... Produce Terminal

I second Vernor Hwy. Is there really any road in the city with as many active storefronts, as much foot traffic, and genuine vibrance? Woodward has the highrises, the large cultural institutions, and the multiple (empty) lanes, sure, but it's also quite ominous, you won't see many folks crossing or walking down it, and there are many empty dark patches as well. Then again it's a very long road, one I love taking into and out of the city to the north.

Ok, it's a bit late, but I added Vernor Hwy to the poll.

I lover Vernor too...if only we could destroy I-75 through downtown and rebuild Vernor. Then again, if I had it my way, there wouldn't be any freeways in the city.

I think Woodward should be narrowed (perhaps a BLVD with widened side walks that act as parks) before it can become a great street.

Has anyone seen the greatest roads/streets of the world series that was on PBS a few years back? They all had pedestrian focus. Woodward just does not until you get down below Grand Circus Park.

I think Woodward downtown is absolutely fine. I think Woodward between probably 7 mile and downtown could use some work. A boulevard would be nice.

Yeah, the planners should learn from the past that the widening was a mistake. Woodward used to be smaller, and it would be good to see it smaller, again, or at least a boulevard as some are suggesting.

Washington Blvd. It has some really nice buildings. To me especially if they can get more businesses open could become as popular as the greektown area. That just my opinion.

I think the future focus of Washington Blvd should be residential. There are some spots where residential stuctures could go up. I think with the new improvements and the fact that it leads right into Grand Circus that this would be a great spot to focus on residential developments.